Home

EA Sports PGA Tour Returns, So What's Next?

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA Tour Returns, So What's Next? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #17
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Returns, So What's Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
Pure bias if you ask me

I have videos from my PS4 and Rory from a couple years ago and some of the tee shots absolutely would have passed for "TV broadcast". Just stunning.

It could, of course, use more resolution and refinement (it's 6 years old now), so here's to hoping for something amazing on next-gen.

The way everything looks like it "belongs together" in Rory does such a good job.

Played Rory for the first time in quite a while today. Looks far better than HB's efforts but they need to incorporate something similar to the way HB did the putting.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Played Rory for the first time in quite a while today. Looks far better than HB's efforts but they need to incorporate something similar to the way HB did the putting.
Honestly, I'm hoping they are re-thinking everything about the swing in Rory.

I much much preferred it in the TW games (although it was way too forgiving and easy to hit it perfectly straight).

The extreme "twitch" and "slam the stick" thing in Rory really wasn't amazing.

Also, they need to allow one to disable the "bubble" thing.

I'm reserving all judgment on all that, as EA Tiburon is very experienced and has made some phenomenal EA golf games over the years. Assuming they are empowered correctly, I trust them to hit a home run here.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #19
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

I much much preferred it in the TW games (although it was way too forgiving and easy to hit it perfectly straight).

I'm reserving all judgment on all that, as EA Tiburon is very experienced and has made some phenomenal EA golf games over the years. Assuming they are empowered correctly, I trust them to hit a home run here.
Really the thing I’m worried about. Sim players seem to get left in the dust by EA, as they seem to cater towards new players. I found Rory too easy at some point even on higher difficulties.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #20
Rookie

Crazy Packers Fan's Arena

The top two things I want are: courses and pros, lots and lots of them. Yes, I know there are created courses in 2K21 that mimic places like Augusta, but they really don't look or feel the same. I want real licensed courses like Pebble Beach, and if they got Augusta, it would make it a slam dunk first-day buy for me. I absolutely love playing Augusta.

I also want to be able to play as the pros. When you play Madden, don't you choose real-life players to control? Then why can't you play as a real pro in a career mode in a golf game? I'd love to take Jordan Spieth or Tony Finau and make them the greatest ever. There could even be different goals/achievements for each golfer.

My hope is that we could have a Madden 2005 vs. 2K5 era of golf games. The lack of competition doomed Rory. If EA and 2K try to outdo each other, it could mean great things for us.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #21
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Really the thing I’m worried about. Sim players seem to get left in the dust by EA, as they seem to cater towards new players. I found Rory too easy at some point even on higher difficulties.
One thing 2K21 does exceptionally well is allow for a wide range of difficulty levels. And it's all customizable. Wanna shoot -20 each round with putt previews? Go ahead. Wanna stress on every shot and hope to break par playing on Legendary difficulty with no green grid, no wind icon, and no swing meter? Done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #22
graphic artist

C.J.S.'s Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleFire
I've enjoyed 2K21 but it is hampered by the graphics engine, which gives the courses a lifeless post-apocalyptic appearance. Vast tracts of land where nothing lives. Holographic crowds who make no attempt to dodge as the ball flies straight through them. I'm somewhat doubting 2K will change the engine between releases so I'm glad to see EA having a go, hopefully they can create something that feels alive.
yeah, not enough animations, and the unity engine is garage. Look at TW08 on PC it has more life to it.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #23
Pro

Quote:

Oh I hate that stupid bubble so much.... I'm not a big fan of the flick either. I thought it was ok on TW13, but with TW14 and Rory, really have to flick it on Expert swing. They did give more dispersion in Rory with the advanced swing in one of the patch. It's similar to what they did at HB with the fast/slow.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #24
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

As much as I loved the looks of Rory on my XBox One X, the swing interface didn't do a thing to draw me in for the reasons you stated above. I was holding on to one last ounce of hope that they'd have one more update to provide an option to disable that annoying power bubble, so that I could see if I could somehow get a better experience without it. It never came, and my interest in playing the game died.

I'm keeping my hopes for this game under wraps until I see that they've taken a new approach to the swing interface. I hope they do something that truly incorporates an intuitive tempo component into it.

Just dreaming a bit, I think my ideal analog thumbstick interface would be to take Perfect Golf's RTSC (real time swing control) using the thumbstick as the swing control, incorporate a user selectable backswing to downswing speed ratio of 1:3, 1:4, or 1:5 as the leading variable for push/pull. Let the hook/slice be controlled by swing plane, like it does now in Perfect Golf, and maybe improve the degrees of control of normal backswing control by utilizing the higher sampling capability of the next-gen controllers & consoles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »