Home

EA Golf Vs. PGA Tour 2K21: How EA Can Set Itself Apart

This is a discussion on EA Golf Vs. PGA Tour 2K21: How EA Can Set Itself Apart within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: EA Golf Vs. PGA Tour 2K21: How EA Can Set Itself Apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Call me crazy but APF 2008 plays a better game of football on my 360 and PS3 and if the graphics looked better 2k5 on my PS2 as well. This is why you have to reserve judgement on EA.

NCAA football 14 plays way better than madden 22. It’s really embarrassing but they don’t care with UT money rolling in.

The good news is Clint and Sean and co. are not working on the PGA game.

Sent from my iPad Pro
Old 10-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

I have no doubt that EA will top HB Studios with career mode and utilization of PGA licenses. I also expect it to look a lot more next-gen than whatever HB Studios comes up with. I suspect HB will stick with the Unity engine so that they can keep their most attractive feature, a course designer, as part of the package.

What I'm most concerned with is EA's next swing mechanic. I honestly thought Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR's swing interface was lacking. It's going to have to be totally rebuilt for it to have a chance with me. I bailed on RMPGAT quicker than any other golf game I've played, and it was mostly because of the shallow swing interface. That being said, it's still the nicest looking golf game I've ever played. I'd be playing it today if they could have somehow imported Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 or 13's swing interface into it.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #19
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Call me crazy but APF 2008 plays a better game of football on my 360 and PS3 and if the graphics looked better 2k5 on my PS2 as well. This is why you have to reserve judgement on EA.
APF 2008 on my 360 is still my favorite pro football game on any console. If you're crazy, I'm one of you!
Old 10-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #20
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltSwoosh
NCAA football 14 plays way better than madden 22. It’s really embarrassing but they don’t care with UT money rolling in.
Sent from my iPad Pro
NCAA 14 still gets play time on my XBox 360. I didn't even exhaust my 10 hours of trial time on Madden 22 before I'd tired of it. I could play Madden 22 if I didn't have any other options, but I enjoy NCAA 13 and APF 2008 on the 360 more.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltSwoosh

The good news is Clint and Sean and co. are not working on the PGA game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
APF 2008 on my 360 is still my favorite pro football game on any console. If you're crazy, I'm one of you!
If that's crazy, I don't want to be sane. APF 2008 is one of the best on-the-field playing games of football ever made. Palette swap in NFL kits and any recent Madden feels stale and lifeless by comparison. It was never a matter of which game had more merit; EA would not have bought the license out if they thought they had the definitively better game. After all, 2K has never had an exclusive license for the NBA, they just killed the competition on the court.

Quote:
NCAA 14 still gets play time on my XBox 360. I didn't even exhaust my 10 hours of trial time on Madden 22 before I'd tired of it. I could play Madden 22 if I didn't have any other options, but I enjoy NCAA 13 and APF 2008 on the 360 more.
100%. Which is pretty sad in so many ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Im going to wait and reserve judgment on ea. I’ve been burned too many times with Madden. Many are saying this will knock 2k out while forgetting how much of a low effort they put in Madden every single year. I’m not ready to jump on any bandwagon yet with nothing shown.
Quote:
I have no doubt that EA will top HB Studios with career mode and utilization of PGA licenses. I also expect it to look a lot more next-gen than whatever HB Studios comes up with. I suspect HB will stick with the Unity engine so that they can keep their most attractive feature, a course designer, as part of the package.

What I'm most concerned with is EA's next swing mechanic. I honestly thought Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR's swing interface was lacking. It's going to have to be totally rebuilt for it to have a chance with me. I bailed on RMPGAT quicker than any other golf game I've played, and it was mostly because of the shallow swing interface. That being said, it's still the nicest looking golf game I've ever played. I'd be playing it today if they could have somehow imported Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 or 13's swing interface into it.
Definitely. EA can definitely make a game that looks good (at least, in still photos - in motion the game still look like crap), it's a question of whether they can make a game that plays well. I'm highly dubious of anything EA puts out because of their long history of style over substance in the sports game world.

Rory was about as thin and un-substantive playing as any sports game ever. You guys that have played it know that I'm not joking when I say that you could literally play an entire round of Rory without ever looking at the TV screen. Even on the harder difficulties, the game boiled down to doing a few basic calculations, selecting the club, and the pulling the thumbstick down and then up. That was literally as deep as the game went.

I'm looking forward to their game, but I'm not going to get excited by still photos or videos. The mechanics of the game need to be there first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Rory was about as thin and un-substantive playing as any sports game ever. You guys that have played it know that I'm not joking when I say that you could literally play an entire round of Rory without ever looking at the TV screen. Even on the harder difficulties, the game boiled down to doing a few basic calculations, selecting the club, and the pulling the thumbstick down and then up. That was literally as deep as the game went.
Sadly, very true.

The best news so far is that there will be an all new swing.
I don't really want them borrowing anything from the Rory swing
Old 11-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #23
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Designer

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I bailed on RMPGAT quicker than any other golf game I've played, and it was mostly because of the shallow swing interface. That being said, it's still the nicest looking golf game I've ever played. I'd be playing it today if they could have somehow imported Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 or 13's swing interface into it.
Just want to point out that the Advanced Analog Swing Mechanic in Rory was the same implementation in as the mechanic that was in Tiger 13 and 14. It just didn't have the in world swing meter around the golfer to convey the power of the backswing and had that circle meter that filled instead.

Hope everyone is doing well here. Love to see the excitement and discussion around golf games!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #24
Pro

Good to hear from you. We're all certainly chomping at the bit for this game!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »