Home

TW14 is ALMOST perfect to me…

This is a discussion on TW14 is ALMOST perfect to me… within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2022, 08:36 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
For real?

Could you steer the ball on the green?

Crazier, I played it a couple years back out of curiosity. On the battlefield course, one mission I recall has you steering the ball around the island through “Loops” and even has turbo boost!!!

Here it is! https://youtu.be/rjqX1mcxkuA

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro Max
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2022, 08:40 PM   #26
MVP

Re: TW14 is ALMOST perfect to me…

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltSwoosh
Crazier, I played it a couple years back out of curiosity. On the battlefield course, one mission I recall has you steering the ball around the island through “Loops” and even has turbo boost!!!

Here it is! https://youtu.be/rjqX1mcxkuA

Lmao.

What do we even call that?

Sort of golf mixed with pinball and racing with some drone controls?

I mean - lmao.
Have at it folks if that’s your jam
Old 04-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Lmao.

What do we even call that?

Sort of golf mixed with pinball and racing with some drone controls?

I mean - lmao.
Have at it folks if that’s your jam

I was just thinking of what I expected way back when they dropped the Rory reveal trailer… Augusta on frostbite among others with a next gen experience. Instead we got Mario kart golf.

It’s no wonder so many basic things like an replay mode were missing , tons of time had to be invested in that stupid mode.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #28
MVP

Before anyone says I'm "against fun", we should note that all that really is happening in that Rory mode of "driving the ball around" is that the "game" got switched to a racing game (do it as fast as you can).

So there's still skill and challenge and something to accomplish.

Whereas, with normal golf rules and the physics and realities of it just has different challenges (scoring low through skill of analysis and execution of shots)

All good and fine - and both are fun -- just to different audiences.

Last edited by scagwi; 04-05-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Before anyone says I'm "against fun", we should note that all that really is happening in that Rory mode of "driving the ball around" is that the "game" got switched to a racing game (do it as fast as you can).

So there's still skill and challenge and something to accomplish.

Whereas, with normal golf rules and the physics and realities of it just has different challenges (scoring low through skill of analysis and execution of shots)

All good and fine - and both are fun -- just to different audiences.

Speaking of fun, one mode I’d love to see return is “Battle Golf” from TW 09. It lets you play against and watch the ai(Another thing absent in Rory 15), or play against a real person and whoever wins the hole removes a club from the opponents bag. That gets interesting really fast.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #30
Banned

If steering the putts would drive sales, they would add it. And if the feature was actually fun in that Nightclub mode, they would have.

I never talk about the RTTS type modes you see in sports games now. I find them really annoying. I could go on a rant about all the ways they fail to be realistic and fair to me, and about how terrible of a mode they are. Or I could skip those modes, and assume those playing them are having fun.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #31
Pro

If you're not playing sim mode diagonal swing on TW14, yeah it's basically just an up and down arcade stripping it right down the middle even on expert swing mode. What TW14 had in spades, it's contents.

As much as I complain about the putting breaking right off the blade of the stick on Rory, at least they had something right. Even on expert on TW14, I have to aim way past the hole just about all the time even on tournament greens. On tournament greens like Chambers Bay and Oakmont on Rory, I really had to putt defensively on breaking downhill putts, ie not really trying to make it, just didn't want a long one coming back. Had to aim way short of the hole.

And oh, mid-air spin is by far the most popular mode on TW14 right now. It's difficult to get a game head to head without playing that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
If you're not playing sim mode diagonal swing on TW14, yeah it's basically just an up and down arcade stripping it right down the middle even on expert swing mode. What TW14 had in spades, it's contents.

As much as I complain about the putting breaking right off the blade of the stick on Rory, at least they had something right. Even on expert on TW14, I have to aim way past the hole just about all the time even on tournament greens. On tournament greens like Chambers Bay and Oakmont on Rory, I really had to putt defensively on breaking downhill putts, ie not really trying to make it, just didn't want a long one coming back. Had to aim way short of the hole.

And oh, mid-air spin is by far the most popular mode on TW14 right now. It's difficult to get a game head to head without playing that.

I remember hearing that with TW14, each green played the same, where as with Rory 15, EA was able to have courses/Greens play more true to life individually.

I really hope they continue and build off of that for the next game.

Last edited by VoltSwoosh; 04-06-2022 at 06:33 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »