Home

The Orange and Black | Flyers Franchise

This is a discussion on The Orange and Black | Flyers Franchise within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Orange and Black | Flyers Franchise

I've been doing one of these on another site but figured i'd move it onto here. I started it after the 5th game of the season so the first few games do not have a write up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Rookie

Game #5 | Vs. Penguins

Pronger Suspended For 3 Games

Pronger being interviewed by local media

The league announced today that NHL tough guy Chris Pronger has been suspended for 3 games due to his latest game misconduct. Pronger received his second GM in the young five game season on Saturday against the hated Pittsburgh Penguins.

Pronger was told to leave the ice surface early in the second period of Saturdays game. The Flyers defenseman crushed Chris Kunitz into the boards. This is not the first time that Pronger has been ejected this year as he was removed from the game last week against St. Louis, in which the Flyers won 9-7. The league considered suspension or fine against Pronger after that hit but decided to give Chris another chance after Colin Campbell spoke to Pronger over the phone.

"I spoke to Colin earlier last week about my behavior and he told me that any other events such as the one that happened in St.Louis would be handled with stiffer punishment."

"I'm not going to change how I play because the league tells me that I can't do it. If I see a guy that I can hit i'm going to hit him. These comments aren't meant to anger the league i'm just telling it like it is."

"I'll have to sit down the next three games and watch my team play and that will be hard. But the way I see it now this most likely won't be the only time i'll have to go through this this year."

Pronger told the media earlier in the day. Pronger will be replaced by Sean O'Donnell.

The game against the Penguins was more then ugly after Chris left the game as they went on to score six goals after Pronger was dismissed.

Notes:
Michael Leighton put in another lousy effort allowing five goals on eighteen shots. So far this season Leighton is 3-1 with a 4.31 GAA and a .864 SV%. If Leighton continues to struggle Peter Laviolette may be forced to make a change in net. Backup goaltender Brian Boucher is 1-0 on the season in two appearances with a 2.07 GAA and a much better .929 SV%. Jose Theodore is still out in Free Agency and may also be looked at to replace Leighton.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Rookie

Game #6 | Vs. Ducks

Offense Saves Leighton Again

Leighton wonders what is going wrong

Once again the Flyers offense had to bail out goaltender Michael Leighton. The Flyers jumped out to a three goal lead in the first period where they tried their hardest to allow few shots on goal. This strategy worked as the period ended with the Flyers leading 3-0.

However, the rest of the game did not go as smooth as the Ducks narrowed the lead to only two goals after the second period. Leighton allowed two goals during the second and did the same in the third. The Ducks closed the lead to one goal twice in the third period but the Flyers offense would not let them tie it.

Leighton allowed four goals on just 28 shots giving him once again a sub .900 save percentage.

"Michael has been struggling this year so far and we have luckily been able to avoid losing those games that he's been less then stellar. We have full faith that Michael will be our goalie for the remainder of the season." Coach Peter Laviolette said when asked about the looming goaltending controversy.

Members of the media tried to get the players to throw Leighton under the bus but were unsuccessful.

"Leights is our goalie. We back him and where he goes we go. We don't want anyone else here. The man got us to the Stanley Cup Finals last year, do you really want to run him out of town already?" Captain Mike Richards fired back at the media.

Tonights game against Anaheim marked the first of three games that All-World defenseman, Chris Pronger, will be suspended for. Sean O'Donnell filled in admireably as he played sixteen minutes and finished the game with a even +/- rating.

Notes:
Jose Theodore has been seen in the area but the Flyers refuse to acknowledge this fact. James van Riemsdyk netted his fourth and fifth goals of the season tonight placing him into second place on the team behind Mike Richards (8). The Flyers have now scored 35 goals in the six games they have played. That gives them an astounding 5.83 GFPG. On the other hand they also have allowed the 8th most goals.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Rookie

Game #7 | Vs. Maple Leafs

Offense Continues To Shine

Jeff Carter looks to score another goal

The Flyers offense led the way yet again tonight as the Flyers dropped an astounding nine goals on the Toronto Maple Leafs. Leading the way was Jeff Carter who netted two goals. Philadelphia had 8 different goal scorers. The 2010-2011 version of the Philadelphia Flyers has started off as one of the best offensive teams the NHL has ever seen. Now if only they can get the Goaltending on par...

Brian Boucher started tonights game and while he played well he still allowed four goals.

"I felt good out there. I was seeing the puck well and the puck was finding me. I let in some tough goals that I probably should have had but the offense bailed me out just as they've been doing the whole season so far it seems." Boucher said about his performance.

"Our offense has scored 44 goals in 7 games. Think about that. This team is something special." Head Coach Peter Laviolette said proudly to the media after the game.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
Rookie

Game #8 | At Columbus

Flyers To Go After Goaltender

Leighton Ponders What's Next

Today the Philadelphia Flyers announced that they will pursue a goaltender outside of the organization to fill the void. Thus far in the season the Flyers goaltending has placed them in last place in terms of Goals Allowed. After tonights defeat at the hands of Columbus and the offense faltering it was no longer plausible for the team to continue.

"We're happy with what Michael and Brian have done for us but at this time we need to find a better solution. If these two can perform up to the standards that we have come to expect then they will be able to keep their starting jobs. At this point however it is best for the organization to pursue other options wether it be through Free Agency or through a trade." Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said in regards to the goaltending situation.

Philadelphia has allowed 20 goals in the past four games. During that time the Flyers have luckily been able to sneak out a 2-2 record.

As it always seems to be in Philadelphia their is always a need for a goaltender.

At the moment their are no real goalies that stick out that the Flyers are going to go after but the most likely seems to be the signing of Free Agent goaltender Jose Theodore.

When asked about what goalie the organization would look at Holmgren had this to say:

"I'm not able to give out specifics but we are looking for a goalie that we can have as a cornerstone of our franchise. We're no longer looking for stopgaps. We want a clearcut number one."

Leighton is 4-2 with a 4.40 GAA and a horrendous .867 SV%. Boucher is 2-0 in three appearances with a 2.88 GAA and a slightly more respectable SV% of .907.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Game #9 | Vs. Buffalo

Leighton Falters For Last Time

Claude Giroux Looks To Pass The Puck Against Buffalo

Michael Leighton has started his last game until he can get his game straight according to Head Coach Peter Laviolette following tonights game. Leighton was pulled early in the second period after just facing six shots. He allowed three goals on those six shots. Brian Boucher took over from there holding the Sabres scoreless until Jochen Hecht scored with only ten seconds remaining when the game was out of reach.

"I'm sorry for whats happening with Michael and I can't explain what is happening but it's now my opportunity to show what I have to the organization and try to claim the starting job as my own. I don't want the team to go out and get someone else. I want this to be my job and i'm going to work my *** off to make sure I get it." Boucher stated after the game.

On the night where Claude Giroux netted a Hat Trick the story is all about the goaltending once again. Normally teams aren't as public as the Flyers have been when it comes to moves and goaltending changes but Peter Laviolette and Paul Holmgren have been very vocal in what they're trying to do.

"Look after tonight i'm not sure Michael Leighton will start another game for the Flyers. We are hoping that he can get his game back up to his standards and that of our organization but we are unsure if that is even possible. Until Michael does this he will not be starting. He will have to earn that through showing improvement in practices." Peter Laviolette announced to the media in his Post Game Press Conference.

Notes:
Brian Boucher is now 3-0 with a 2.62 GAA and a .906 SV%. The Flyers finished the game 4/6 on the Power Play. Rumors currently have Jose Theodore signing elsewhere so it looks as if the Flyers will have to make a trade in order to get another starting goaltender.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Game #10 & 11 | At Penguins/Vs. Islanders

Pronger Nets Hat Trick

Chris Pronger and Mike Richards celebrate one of Prongers three goals

The Islanders came into the game with a better record then the Flyers up to this point but that didn't intimidate the Orange and Black. The Flyers released an onslaught of offense against the team from Long Island. In total Philadelphia scored eight goals. The strange thing about this sudden burst of offense is the fact that five of the goals came from defenseman; three of which came from Chris Pronger.

"The offense was great tonight. It was good for some of us defenseman to get in on the fun. It's a nice thing to get a hat trick I must say." Pronger said after the game.

Goaltender Brian Boucher put in a good days work only allowing two goals. The first time that that has happened in the past six games. The last being a Michael Leighton shutout of the Tampa Bay Lightning on October 14th. Boucher stopped 18 of the 20 shots he faced on his way to the victory. Boucher is now 4-1 with a 3.19 GAA and a .881 SV%.

"Once again I thought I was seeing the puck well and tonight I got the results I wanted. Although letting two goals in on 20 shots isn't the best it's an improvment." Boucher said about his play.

This game against the Islanders concluded the back to back games in which the Flyers also faced the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Flyers fell to the Penguins by a score of 6-5.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Pro

Vipers2k9's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Game #10 & 11 | At Penguins/Vs. Islanders

Look, It's the great pumpkin Charlie...Wait wrong story these are just regular pumpkins. But nice to see a flyer's chise. Us Wings fans always have to get after those Pumpkins...LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »