Home

Washington Capitals

This is a discussion on Washington Capitals within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Washington Capitals

Well I have decided to do a Caps dynasty. I have never played the Caps before and I have been playing this game since 93 (no need for old jokes here).

I`m not going to do game by game timbits and more or less will be doing random updates. I don`t have all the time in the world like I used to (juggling job, wife, 2 year old, another on the way, and a psychotic cat) so bare with me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Rookie

mnwildgophers's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Washington Capitals

I'll be following. You can't go wrong with the Caps, should be fun to read through. I think I decided on 10 game intervals to update. It's way too hard to go game-by-game updates.

Good luck and hope you bring home the Cup!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers
I'll be following. You can't go wrong with the Caps, should be fun to read through. I think I decided on 10 game intervals to update. It's way too hard to go game-by-game updates.

Good luck and hope you bring home the Cup!
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
MVP

Changes At The Top

Washington Post:

George McPhee, GM of the Capitals since 1997, has decided to step down and pass the reigns to Brad Thompson.

“I’ve had a lot of good years here in Washington and have accomplished many things, obtaining Ovi in the draft probably my best. But there comes a time in everyone’s life when complacency becomes a problem and change is need. This will be my change, but I leave comfortable knowing that a capable man is filling my shoes.” McPhee told reports at a recent press conference. “Mr Thompson has been around the organization for the last few years and is a trust friend of Ted Leonsis, he has great character and a found knowledge of hockey. He is the right man to lead this team to Lord Stanley’s Cup.

McPhee has been at the helm for over 13 years and has been instrumental in raising the team from lottery pick contender to NHL juggernaut. His exceptional managing style has brought in top rookie talent Ovechkin – Backstrom – Green – Semin, solidified obtaining a great team coach in Bruce Boudreau, lead to 5 Southwest Divisional Titles, six 40 or more win seasons, and last years 121 point season to win the Presidents Trophy. But in the end the one thing that eluded him will remain, as Lord Stanley’s Cup continues to be vacant of any Caps names.

“First off I would like to say this is a huge honour, the Capitals are a world class team and I really do look forward to journeying with them to glory.” A tear stricken Thompson told reporters after the announcement was made. “I wish to continue the harmony that McPhee has instilled so Boudreau will remain the trust man on the bench and a strategy of building a winner through the draft will continue. I do have some ideas/plans of my own but let’s begin the season and see where it takes us. Once again thank you, I really do appreciate it.”

Brad Thompson, who has been named the man to take over for McPhee, is a Torontonian who went to the Ivey School of Business and moved to Washington to help lobby Canadian business interests on the hill. Meeting Leonsis during a luncheon, he became a consultant back in 2000 but wouldn’t make ripples until 2006 when he lead a group in persuading Verizon to purchase the MCI arena. Having played hockey in the junior levels and done some coaching here and there, his resume is perfect for a GM job – some business acumen splashed with hockey wisdom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

With a massive 121 point season last year the Caps pretty much look the same for 2010-2011, the phrase “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it” comes to mind.

Finding new jerseys to wear are: goalie Jose Theodore (Minnesota), centerman Eric Belanger (Phoenix), d-man Shaone Morrison (Buffalo), winger Alexander Giroux (Edmonton), d-man Joe Corvo (Carolina), d-man Milan Jurcina (Islanders), winger Stefan Della Rovere (St Louis), and centerman Kyle Wilson (Columbus).

Coming into the Capitals fold are: winger Matt Hendricks (Capitals), winger D.J. King (Capitals), goalie Brandon Anderson (Hershey), winger Brian Willsie (Hershey), winger Kyle Greentree (Hershey), goalie Dany Sabourin (Hershey).

Many analysts have commented that the Caps are so stocked with role-players that many more could have been pink slipped. Thompson went on to rectify those speculations.

“Our core people like Ovi, Backstrom, Semin, and Green remain our focus guys. The ones that left were more role-players and if you look through our ranks we have many of those. These moves open up spots for young guys like John Carlsson, Karl Alzner, and Marcus Johnsson.”

Thompson continued. “Obtaining D.J. King was to solidify our presence on the ice and give our stars a voice. Ovi and Backstrom can now focus more on playing and not retaliating. Hendricks is an energy winger that will fill out our 4th line beautifully and if he chips in 9 or 10 goals more the better.”

He also commented on the Bears. “Having a well adverse guy like Nylander back in our ranks, last years point leader Aucoin putting in another year, young guys Perreault – Gustafsson penciled in, and goalie Dany Sabourin manning the pipes a repeat of last years Calder Cup is a manageable target. I have total faith in Mark French, it should be a good year.”

Asked about training camp and preseason, Thompson had this to say. “Boudreau and I have our eyes on a few key guys this year and each of them will get a fair chance. Players in our focus to make the big leap our John Carlsson and Marcus Johnsson with Karl Alzner also getting a good look I wish all three of them the best.

It has been noted that even though these players are expected at training camp, this season they will spend it either in the Juniors or Europe: Chris Bourque, Cody Eakin, Stanislav Galiev, Garrett Mitchell, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Samuel Carrier, Brett Flemming, Dustin Stevenson, Brandon Anderson, and Philipp Grubauer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As expect superstar Alexander Ovechkin has been named the 14th Captain of the Capitals.

“I can’t say much about this guy that isn’t already known. He is a world class gentleman with matching talent and love for his follow players. It was an easy decision.” Thompson commented after Boudreau announced the Caps new leader.

“I have played under two great guys in my career with Halpern and Clark, I will not disappoint.” The 3 time Pearson/Lindsay award winner was quoted.

Versatile winger Mike Knuble and offensive minded d-man Tom Poti will be the alternates.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
MVP

Great Start For Caps

Washington Post:

7 Game Cap Update

2010-11 Season
Positions: NHL: 4th, East: 4th, Div: 2nd
Win%: 71.4
PP: 45.0 (2nd)
PK: 77.1 (16th)
GFPG: 5.00 (1st)
GAPG: 2.57 (3rd)
Top +/-: J. Carlson (7)
Top PIMS: M. Knuble (26)
Injures: None
Team Salary: $55.230M

Trade/Free Agent Signings: None

LINES

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Johansson-Semin
Chimera - Fleischmann - Fehr
King - Steckel - Hendricks

Schultz - Green
Erskine - Carlson
Sloan - Alzner

Varlamov (1-2, 3.71)
Neuvirth (4-0, 1.76)

Previous Seven Games

AT Thrashers: 4-2 win, Ovi scored 1st goal
VS Devils: 4-2 loss
VS Senators: 4-0 win, Neuvirth’s 1st shutout
VS Islanders: 8-3 win, Ovi 4 point night
AT Predators: 8-3 win, Backstrom takes a stick to the face and will miss one game
VS Bruins: 5-4 loss, Knuble given a game misconduct for boarding
AT Bruins: 5-1 win, Semin picks up 2 goals

Next Seven Games

VS Thrashers: (Caps won 4 to 2 last time)
AT Hurricanes: (1st time this year)
AT Wild: (1st time this year)
AT Flames: (1st time this year)
VS Leafs: (1st time this year)
VS Bruins: (Series tied at 1)
VS Flyers: (1st time this year)

Top 5 Caps

1: A.Ovechkin (10-3-13)
2. A. Semin (6-4-10)
3. K. Alzner (3-6-9)
4. M. Knuble (2-5-7)
T5: J. Schultz (1-5-6)
T5: J. Chimera (1-5-6)

Top 5 NHL Points

T1: P. Kessel, TOR (13)
T1: A. Ovechkin, WSH (13)
T1: J. Van Riemsdyk, PHI (13)
T2: N. Zherdev, PHI (12)
T2: A. Vermette, CMB (12)

NHL Transactions

10/10/2010 - Habs sign G Chris Holt to a 2 year deal

--------------------------------------------------

Down on the Farm

Hershey Bears record: 2-3-1
Top Goal Scorer: K. Aucion (4)
Top Assist Man: K. Greentree (5)
Top Point Getter: K. Aucion (9)
Top +/-: F. Bouchard (4)
Top PIMS: G. McNeil (23)

Goalies

D.Sabourin (2-3, 2.16)
B.Holtby (0-1, 4.00)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Rookie

mnwildgophers's Arena

Love the recap so far and nice start.

I'm not having so much luck with Rangers franchise. What sliders are you using?

Ovechkin already has 10 goals? I guess I can't put anything past that guy!

Good luck and keep up the good work, the intro post was very well written.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers
Love the recap so far and nice start.

I'm not having so much luck with Rangers franchise. What sliders are you using?

Ovechkin already has 10 goals? I guess I can't put anything past that guy!

Good luck and keep up the good work, the intro post was very well written.
Thank you mnwildgophers, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I can't take responsibility for the format, I ask HW if I could use his and he was nice enough to let me. But the initial write up is mine, so thank you.

I'm using OBG's sliders, they do take some time to get use too. A break down from your 4 and 0 preseason? Ovi and Semin are machines in this game and Johansson (got cap from petrpuck) will easily be the #2 center in a year. This is definateky a fun team to play
Old 11-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Rookie

mnwildgophers's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp05
Thank you mnwildgophers, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I can't take responsibility for the format, I ask HW if I could use his and he was nice enough to let me. But the initial write up is mine, so thank you.

I'm using OBG's sliders, they do take some time to get use too. A break down from your 4 and 0 preseason? Ovi and Semin are machines in this game and Johansson (got cap from petrpuck) will easily be the #2 center in a year. This is definateky a fun team to play
Yeah, the team just isn't doing so well. I shedded a lot of contracts in Brashear, Redden, Rozsival, and Gilroy. I want to try to get younger, but it comes with some growing pains. I'm pretty well positioned to get some more elite players in free agency, and if things continue I should get a really good player at the top of the draft, but we'll see how things go there. I'd have to consider trading for some sort of sniper, but I guess I'll just see where things go in the next few months.

Yeah, the Caps really are a fun team to play as, maybe I'll have to trade for Semin in my 'chise. :P

Anyway, the sliders I'm using have been tweaked a little bit, as I felt that the other goaltenders were a little too good. I'm using OBG's shooting sliders, just a different set of ones, we'll see how they work out.

Any plans to call someone up from the AHL?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »