Home

Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Losing streak reaches four

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroWorship
Struggling to start the season for the Blue Jackets, but losing to the Habs and allowing Travis Moen to score the game winner is a bad sign of things to come.
The last four games have made me want to throw my controller through the wall. I'd almost rather get blown out then continue to lose one-goal games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
Rookie

Going from bad to worse

Blue Jackets, Arniel Looking For Answers

Columbus drops fifth straight at Atlanta

(Sammy Pahlsson (26) battles for the puck
in the Blue Jackets 3-2 loss to Atlanta)

ATLANTA (AP) – It wasn't pretty when Columbus head coach Scott Arniel stepped in front of reporters following his team's 3-2 loss against Atlanta.

He refused to answer any questions, he just made a statement and quickly left the interview room after watching the Blue Jackets drop their fifth straight contest.

I'm disappointed, angry and disgusted,” Arniel began, his team now 5-7-0. “We are all professionals, we get paid to coach and play this game we all dreamed about playing since we could lace up skates. What I saw out there tonight on the ice was unacceptable. We showed no heart, no trust in each other, no fire. It's going to be a long year if we think that effort was good enough to get to the top.”

Arniel gave backup Mathieu Garon the start in goal in hopes of snapping the prolonged losing streak, but Garon's give-a-way six minutes into the opening period to Thrasher youngster Bryan Little made it 1-0. Atlanta (6-6-1) had a goal taken away minutes later on a goal scored on a deflection by Rich Peverley, but his stick was ruled to above the crossbar.

Rookie defensmen Bryan Hoxsey tied the score late in the first period on a rebound tally, then Sammy Pahlsson gave the visitors a 2-1 advantage with his fourth goal of the season at the 16:12 mark.

They had all the momentum after their Sammy's goal, but we were able to get the crowd back in to it quickly,” said Thrasher Ben Eager, who scored just 48 seconds later to make it 2-2. “We did a great job of limiting their chances from that point on. You could see them put their heads down and when you get a team to do that your in the drivers seat.”

Nik Antropov sealed the win for the hosts by scoring his fifth goal of the season off assists from Niclas Bergfors and Zach Bogosian just under five minutes into the third.

Atlanta played a physical game as they out-hit the Blue Jackets 19-9, held a slim margin in shots on goal of 25-23, while each team was 0-for-2 on the man advantage.

MY GAME: Scored my second goal of the year, but when you lose it doesn't matter. Had a +1, took 5 shots in 25:58 on the ice.

Blue Jackets vs Thrashers
Nov 4, 2010123F
CLB (5-7-0)1102
ATL (6-6-1)1113
Three Stars
Nik Antropov - Atlanta
1 goal (GW)
Ben Eager - Atlanta
1 goal
Bryan Little - Atlanta
1 goal
Team Stats Comparison
CLBATL
Shots on Goal2325
Hits919
Faceoffs Won-Lost19/1717/19
Penalty Minutes1111
Power Plays Converted00
Power Play Opportunities22
Time on Attack6:365:19
Scoring Summary
FIRST PERIOD
ATLLittle (2) (unassisted) 6:09
CLBHoxsey (2) (Hejda, Voracek) 16:43
SECOND PERIOD
CLBPahlsson (4) (Voracek, Huselius) 16:12
ATLEager (3) (Slater, Hainsey) 17:00
THIRD PERIOD
ATLAntropov (5) (Bergfors, Bogosian) 4:49
Blue Jackets - Goalies
GOALIESSHOTSSAVESSV %GAA
Garon252288%2.00
Thrashers - Goalies
GOALIESSHOTSSAVESSV %GAA
C. Mason232191%2.88

Last edited by hoxltc; 12-02-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #27
Rookie

Heart searching time

Columbus Holds Player Only Meeting

Blue Jackets, Nash look to change fortunes

COLUMBUS – After opening the 2010-11 season with five wins in their first seven games, the Blue Jackets have fallen into a tailspin that has resulted in five consecutive defeats.

Obviously the streak hasn't sat well with fans, players or coaches, especially head coach Scott Arniel, whose post game statement following the latest loss to Atlanta was one of frustration.

Prior to practice this morning, Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash called together a players only meeting in hopes of clearing the air on some issues that have arose during the past five games.

“We as a whole needed to get back on the same page,” Nash said following a spirited workout in preparation for there game verses Minnesota. “We have no one to blame but ourselves for the last five games. It was a positive meeting, guys let each other know how they felt. It was calm, there wasn't any finger pointing and there shouldn't have been, we all need to play better.”

Arniel said the team had one of their better practices of the year. He feels his club has all the talent to be contenders, but said things are going to have to change if that is to happen.

“We need to wear our hearts on our sleeves,” said Arniel. “This team has a great makeup of veterans and young players who want to learn and win. We have gotten away from the things that got us those first five wins, toughness and a willingness to give up the body for the team. I see us coming out against Minnesota with a complete effort.”

Nash also talked about his personal play through the losing streak and says it will be doing the little things better that will get things turned around.

“I'm not playing the way a captain should play,” admitted Nash. “I have no excuses, I'm just not getting it done on the ice (just 2 goals in 12 games) or off the ice as a leader. As a team the key for us is going to be not being satisfied with just being mediocre or just making the playoffs. It's going to take an extra effort on every players part, sucking it up when things don't go our way and doing something to make it go our way. It's time to get this thing turned around.”

(Source: bluejackets.com)

Last edited by hoxltc; 12-02-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Heart searching time

Yikes. Good call on the player meeting front...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #29
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Heart searching time

Jesus, you need a win. Big time.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #30
Rookie

Finally a win

Columbus Ends Losing Streak With Shootout Win

(Rick Nash and Derick Brassard celebrate Jakub
Voracek's second period goal)

COLUMBUS (AP) – The crowd at Nationwide Arena held their collective breath as Minnesota's Mikko Koivu skated towards Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason.

The shootout had already seen Mason make spectacular stops on Martin Havlat and Pierre-Marc Bouchard, as well as a Rick Nash tally for the home team. Koivu's shot trickled just wide, thus sending the faithful into a frenzy and snapping the Blue Jackets five-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory.

Granted it is just one game, but it was one we badly needed,” said Mason, who made 23 saves in regulation and overtime and earned the first star of the game. “After getting together yesterday as a team, we came out and played very well. The defense was solid in front of me and Rick gave us a huge boost by putting us up on top to begin the shootout. We did all the little things tonight, it was a team win.”

After an even first period, Columbus took a 1-0 lead just 48 seconds into the second as Jakub Voracek, who has struggled this season, put home a power play tally off a scramble in front of Wild goalie Josh Harding.

It's been a while hasn't it,” chuckled Voracek when asked about his first goal since last season. “The defensemen did a great job all night of just getting the puck on net. Harding had it for a second, but as he fell the puck squirted loose and jumped right on my stick.”

The lead was short lived however as a Blue Jacket give-a-way led to Andrew Brunette's fourth goal of the year just four minutes later to tie things at 1-1.

Tonight was different. We did what we said we needed to stop doing and that's putting our heads down when we face adversity,” said Nash of recent games in which his club has lost leads. “Instead we seemed to play even more focused and more physical. Mason came up with some great saves, especially in the shootout. His play was the main reason we won this game.”

The Blue Jackets had numerous quality chances in the third period and overtime, but Harding was able to keep the puck out of the net, until the shootout. The hosts held the advantage in other key statistics besides the scoreboard, 18-12 in hits, 32-24 in shots on goal, and they won 29 of 45 faceoffs.

It was a complete turn around from the other night in Atlanta, we played with a lot of heart and we got that monkey off our backs,” said Columbus head coach Scott Arniel. “The veterans stepped up their game and the rookies played solid as well. We can celebrate tonight, but then we need to get ready for St. Louis in a couple of days and they have won five straight. I'll sleep a little better tonight that's for sure.”

MY GAME: Had a -1 rating, 4 shots and a season high 4 hits in 38:36 of ice time. Misplayed the puck that led to the Wild's only goal, but we won so I guess the guys won't be too upset.

Wild vs Blue Jackets
Nov 6, 2010123SOF
MIN (7-5-1)0100/01
CLB (6-7-0)0100/12
Three Stars
Steve Mason - Columbus
23 saves
Josh Harding - Minnesota
31 saves
Jakub Voracek - Columbus
1 goal
Team Stats Comparison
MINCLB
Shots on Goal2432
Hits1218
Faceoffs Won-Lost16/2929/16
Penalty Minutes62
Power Plays Converted01
Power Play Opportunities02
Time on Attack4:228:36
Scoring Summary
SECOND PERIOD
CLBVoracek (1) (unassisted) :42 (PP)
MINBrunette (4) (Havlat, Zanon) 4:45
Wild - Goalies
GOALIESSHOTSSAVESSV %GAA
Harding323197%3.18
Blue Jackets - Goalies
GOALIESSHOTSSAVESSV %GAA
Mason242396%2.76

Last edited by hoxltc; 12-03-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #31
Rookie

Columbus blanks St. Louis

Blue Jackets, Mason Blank Blues

Nash scores twice in second consecutive win

(Steve Mason earned first star as he made 21 saves in a shutout effort verses St. Louis)

COLUMBUS (AP) – On any NHL team the captain's job is to sometimes take the heat for the entire club when things aren't going well, even if they don't get the same credit when things are running smooth – that's Blue Jacket's Rick Nash.

Nash has taken a lot of flack because of his and his club's slow start this season, but that last two games the heart-and-soul of the hockey club has elevated his game. He followed up his eventual game-winning shootout goal against Minnesota with a pair of power play tallies in a shutout triumph over a red hot St. Louis Blues team.

With the 4-0 win Columbus evens their record to 7-7-0, captured a second straight victory, while snapping the Blues five-game unbeaten streak. Steve Mason was again brilliant in net, stopping all 21 shots he faced, while posting the teams second blanking of the year.

We took advantage of what the Blues gave us tonight,” said Nash, who doubled his season goal output in the game. “Mason was solid again and (Fedor) Tyutin made some really terrific setups. It was a good win.”

Columbus scored what would eventually be the only goal they would need late in the first period as Antoine Vermette scored from Tyutin and Anton Stralman with a man advantage. In the second, Jakub Voracek made it 2-0 off an assist from Kristian Huselius and Nash pushed it to a three goal game with a score a man up at the 14:51 mark with Tyutin and Vermette picking up helpers.

The key was that we added to our lead, that's something we have had trouble with so far,” said Mason, who was the first star for the second straight game. “We controlled the neutral zone, we never allowed them too many good chances in close and the few they did have the guys in front of me did a good job of clearing the puck out of danger.”

Nash netted his second of the night, again on the power play, just under midway through the final period.

The Blue Jackets were 3-of-4 with the man advantage and won 18-of-27 faceoffs

It was another nice win, probably the best game we have played so far this season,” Scott Arniel. “Maybe the light has gone on for some of these guys. The last two games we have done a good job of not trying to do too much. We have played our game and it has brought good results.”

MY GAME: I had a +1 rating, but didn't dent the scoresheet. Took 3 shots, had one hit in 37:24 on the ice.

Blues vs Blue Jackets
Nov 10, 2010123F
STL (9-4-0)0000
CLB (7-7-0)1214
Three Stars
Steve Mason - Columbus
21 saves, shutout
Rick Nash - Columbus
2 goals
Antoine Vermette - Columbus
1 goal, 1 assist
Team Stats Comparison
STLCLB
Shots on Goal2130
Hits156
Faceoffs Won-Lost9/1818/9
Penalty Minutes102
Power Plays Converted03
Power Play Opportunities04
Time on Attack3:287:17
Scoring Summary
FIRST PERIOD
CLBVermette (2) (Tyutin, Stralman) (PP) 16:04
SECOND PERIOD
CLBVoracek (2) (Huselius) 3:29
CLBNash (3) (Tyutin, Vermette) (PP) 14:51
THIRD PERIOD
CLBNash (4) (Tyutin, Stralman) (PP) 8:31
Blues - Goalies
GOALIESSHOTSSAVESSV %GAA
Halak302687%
Blue Jackets - Goalies
GOALIESSHOTSSAVESSV %GAA
Mason2121100%

Last edited by hoxltc; 12-04-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Columbus blanks St. Louis

Great little streak going on there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »