Home

Changing of the Guard: The Story of the Detroit Red Wings

This is a discussion on Changing of the Guard: The Story of the Detroit Red Wings within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Changing of the Guard: The Story of the Detroit Red Wings

I have been waffling back and forth about getting into this dynasty business, and while previous efforts have not been successful, I can devote a little more time this time around. I am playing NHL 2010, so sorry if I lack some of the features that others of you have, but I will try to make up for it in other ways. I am using ultimate roster's updated rosters for the 2010-11 season, accurate as of about a week before the season started. I think that takes care of the housecleaning info, if you have any questions let me know. Please feel free to post at any time, and I hope you enjoy reading my efforts to win the Stanley Cup.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Rookie

Hudler Traded!

Red Wings Trade Hudler

The 2010 NHL Entry Draft was much an afterthought for many Red Wings fans heading into the off-season, as the Red Wings were again picking towards the end of each round. That did not prevent the front office from uncovering some gems and making a few moves to re-stock the farm system and ensure future success. Perhaps the biggest move of the day was announced during the first round. After what has seemed like an eternity of unsubstantiated rumors, it finally became official that Jiri Hudler had been traded. Citing a lack of chemistry amongst the team surrounding Hudler's coming back, Red Wings GM Ken Holland was able to send him to Philadelpha, reacquiring former Red Wing Ville Leino in the process.

It is said that Leino will play left wing on the third line alongside recently signed Mike Modano and the veteran Dan Cleary. Leino relished the opportunity to come back to Detroit and start anew. "Leaving Detroit was tough, as they had given me the chance to play in the NHL first. It is with honor that I can return and contribute to the success of the team."
Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: Changing of the Guard: The Story of the Detroit Red Wings

what sliders are you using?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Rookie

Off-Season Review

Red Wings Have Stellar Draft, Free Agency

Even though the Detroit Red Wings were picking from familiar territory at the end of each round, the scouting department was able to find players that will likely make large contributions to the team in years to come. Following is a pick-by-pick review of each of the teams picks.

First Round: Boone Jenner, 18, Canada
Quote:
Jenner is a prototypical Red Wings player, a fast skater with slick stickhandling abilities. While he should have no trouble finding the back of the net himself, he really projects as a high-assist man. One area that needs some work is his checking ability, but Jenner will have plenty of time to learn how to throw his 6'1" 193 pound frame around. The Hockey News gives him a B potential rating.
Second Round: Rocco Grimaldi, 18, United States
Quote:
Grimaldi may be a project player for the Red Wings, but he does have a steady supply of raw ability. Vastly undersized, he will have to rely on his high hockey IQ and deft puckhandling if he hopes to have an NHL career. While he has the skills, Grimaldi will need a few years in the AHL to develop. Currently, The Hockey News has him as a B- prospect.
Third Round: Derek Wallace, 20, United States
Quote:
Wallace was a need pick for the Red Wings organization that was short on goaltending depth. He has all of the natural ability in the world, but like Grimaldi, is a few years away from any real contributions to an NHL team. With Thomas McCollum and Jordan Pearce still in the fold, the Wings can be somewhat patient with Wallace. He is graded out with B- potential.
Fourth Round: Alexei Datsyuk, 18, Russia
Quote:
Datsyuk, the younger brother of Red Wings star Pavel, will not be joining the Red Wings organization. He has expressed interest in staying in Russia, and after the Jiri Hudler debacle, the Red Wings are avoiding any such repeats. The Hockey News had graded him as a C level prospect, so losing out on him did not harm the Red Wings much.
Fifth Round: Charles Muckalt, 19, Canada
Quote:
The Red Wings are hoping that Muckalt can develop into the bottom 6 grinder the organization has become somewhat known for, in the mold of Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby. Although Muckalt does have a very strong slap shot, it is his defensive awareness and checking that caught the eye of scouts. He is considered a B- prospect.
Free agency also brought some great young talent to the Detroit Red Wings. One of the larger stories heading into the draft was the Shane McColgan situation. Projected as a top five pick, McColgan's representatives repeatedly missed deadlines in order to make him eligible for the draft. Despite the disorganization, a loophole was found that allowed him to become a free agent. Detroit was able to sign the young star to a three year entry level contract, and he will start the year in the AHL, but shouldn't last long there. The other key pickup for the team was reaching a contract with free agent Norwegian Mats Froshaug. A former highly thought of Canucks prospect, Froshaug couldn't reach a new deal with the team and became a free agent. A two year deal brings him to the Red Wings, and it is said he may begin the season in Toledo of the ECHL.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan1996
what sliders are you using?
I am playing with default sliders, all-star difficulty. The only thing changed is that cpu difficulty adjustment is half full.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Rookie

Red Wings Unveil 2010-11 Depth Charts

Detroit Red Wings Depth Chart - 2010-11
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LWZetterbergHolmstromLeinoAbdelkader
CDatsyukFilppulaModanoHelm
RWFranzenBertuzziClearyEaves
D #1LidstromRafalskiEricsson
D #2KronwallStuartSalei
GHowardOsgood

Scratches: Kris Draper, Derek Meech

Grand Rapids Griffins Depth Chart - 2010-11
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LWTatarMursakMillerStuart
CJennerEmmertonAnderssonGrimaldi
RWMcColganFilppulaCoetzeeTardif
D #1SmithLashoffEhrhardt
D #2KindlPyettPiche
GMcCollumPearce

Scratches: Snetsinger, Froshaug, Muckalt, Pare, Callahan, Kolosov, Wallace

Organizational Roster Spreadsheet:NHL 11 Wings - Copy.rar
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Rookie

Red Wings Offense Shines vs. Blues

I played this game the other night, so I don't have a recap. I used the season stats to piece the boxscore together, but from here on out game recaps will be more thorough. Enjoy the stats.

Detroit Red Wings vs St. Louis Blues
Oct 2, 123F
DET (1-0-0)5
STL (0-1-0)3
Three Stars
Pavel Datsyuk, C
1 Goal, 1 Assist
Andy McDonald, C
2 Goals
Nicklas Lidstrom, D
2 Assists
Team Stats Comparison
DETSTL
Shots on Goal2313
Hits919
Faceoffs Won-Lost7-1710-17
Penalty Minutes6:000:00
Power Plays Converted00
Power Play Opportunities03
Time on Attack
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Rookie

Salei Leads Wings Past Blues

In what amounts to a career day offensively, Ruslan Salei led the Detroit Red Wings past the St. Louis Blues for the second night in a row. Assisting on the team's first four goals, Salei helped set the tone to a fast-paced Wings attack that the Blues defensemen just could not keep up with. "We tried to outskate them, beat them up and down the ice, and control the puck for as long as possible," stated head coach Mike Babcock. "Losing Kronny to that boarding misconduct hurt, but the team fought through that, largely because of Ruslan. If we don't have Ruslan tonight, there is no doubt in my mind the Blues are the winners."

The Blues got the scoring off with a short-handed goal by Andy McDonald, his third of the season, fourteen minutes into the first. Pavel Datsyuk tied the score three minutes later, and the Red Wings took the lead on a Tomas Holmstrom goal with 40 seconds left in the period.

The second period was a Red Wing flurry with Justin Abdelkader picking up a goal on the penalty kill, and three minutes later Datsyuk tallied another. With less than a minute left, Darren Helm notched his first of the young season. Bryan Allen scored the lone goal of the third period for the Blues, who fall to 0-2 on the year.

The Red Wings will host the defending Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks on October 8th.

St. Louis Blues vs Detroit Red Wings
Oct 3, 123F
STL (0-2-0)1012
DET (2-0-0)2305
Three Stars
Ruslan Salei
0 Goals, 4 Assists
Pavel Datsyuk
2 Goals, 0 Assists
Justin Abdelkader
1 Goal, 0 Assists
Team Stats Comparison