Home

A Return to Glory - The Ottawa Senators Rebuilding Dynasty (NHL 2011)

This is a discussion on A Return to Glory - The Ottawa Senators Rebuilding Dynasty (NHL 2011) within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #57
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: A Return to Glory - The Ottawa Senators Rebuilding Dynasty (NHL 2011)

2011 OFF SEASON WRAP UP

August 31st, 2011

The Senators were busy in the off-season and the team has seen many changes. Shortly after the season ended Coach Cory Clouston was fired as a result of the team’s abysmal record. Ownership spent several weeks after the firing looking for a suitable replacement. It wasn’t until early August that GM Guy Ladouche’ announced they have hired a new head coach Dave Cameron; formerly of the Mississauga Ice Dogs and a former Binghamton Senator Head Coach. Cameron spoke of changing the teams playing style and implementing a new system, so expectations are high for this upcoming season.

Another item that was addressed during the off-season was the $21 Million in cap space available to GM Ladouche’ to fill in the holes left by the fire sale of the teams veterans. With a rich free agent pool, he was quick to fill in plugs on defense by signing Canadiens castoffs Hall Gill and Andre Markov. Early into Free Agency he was able to fill the void left between the pipes by signing former Canadiens netminder Jose Theodore. Theodore found himself on the outside looking out in Washington with the emergence of Michael Neuvirth and the steady play of Varlamov.

Ottawa signs (D) Hall Gill to a 1 year $1.870M contract

Ottawa signs (D) Andrew Markov to a 2 year $5.935M contract

Ottawa signs (D) Jose Theodore to a 2 year $2.195M contract

Ottawa also offered contracts to all of their draft picks this year. All of the rookies will be in training camp in September to try to make a roster that is far from set.

Ottawa signs (RW) Cedric Wetmore – 78 Ovr (A-/B-/A) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $1.215M

Ottawa signs (D) Adam Larsson – 69 Ovr (A-/A/A-) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $1.055M

Ottawa signs (D) Martin Spicer 65 Ovr (A/A-/A) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $0.945M

Ottawa signs (G) Roman Ullberg 69 Ovr (C/A/B-) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $1.055M

Ottawa signs (RW) Zack Kassian – 69 Ovr (B-/B-/B-) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $1.055M

Ottawa signs (D) Alex Lepkowski – 62 Ovr (B-/B-/A-) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $0.865M

Ottawa signs (RW) Dominik Bonk – 64 Ovr (B-/B-/B) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $0.920M

Ottawa signs (C) Jason Coccimiglio – 61 Ovr (B-/B-/B-) to a 3 year Rookie Contract worth $0.840M

Lastly, it was a busy off-season with many talented players on the market. None so coveted perhaps as free agent winger Zack Parise. After his time in New Jersey, his salary demands were warranted and with the Kovalchuk contract the Devils were unable to sign their star forward. Many teams claimed to be suitor of the fast skating winger, including Canadian Teams Montreal, Toronto, and Edmonton. In the end Parise decided to sign with the St. Louis Blues. Other free agent activity over the summer includes:

Paul Kariya (LW) signs with Pittsburgh Penguins

Matt Moulson (LW) signs with Atlanta Thrashers

Max Talbot (C) signs with New Jersey Devils
GLES - USC

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #58
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

Coming tomorrow:

- Training Camp
- Preseason Report
GLES - USC

Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #59
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

September 1st, 2011

The Senators released today their official roster for the upcoming training camp; where everyone will compete for one of the teams 22 roster spots. With a lot of the teams veteran forwards shipped out there was only a handful of positions that were guaranteed.

GLES - USC

Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #60
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

Okay I just need to vent. I'm ahead of my posts and already a month into my second season and I just had an injury and the effin assistant manager sent 2 of my promising rookies back to Juniors and called up half my AHLers and sent down all my called up guy. It was a real mess and I'm pretty ticked off right now. With Autosave I guess there is no way of going back unless I go back to my backup save file but then I'll loose a months worth of games.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to write it into my storyline somehow.

I am just super angry
GLES - USC

Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #61
MVP

jack1535's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS_AK27
Okay I just need to vent. I'm ahead of my posts and already a month into my second season and I just had an injury and the effin assistant manager sent 2 of my promising rookies back to Juniors and called up half my AHLers and sent down all my called up guy. It was a real mess and I'm pretty ticked off right now. With Autosave I guess there is no way of going back unless I go back to my backup save file but then I'll loose a months worth of games.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to write it into my storyline somehow.

I am just super angry
Wow that really blows. The assistant coaches are so stupid in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #62
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

OVR: 35

This is why you turn the Assistant coach edits off. :P

1000 posts achieved on December 21st,2008 at 2:26 p.m in the "birth of the Mighty Blazers" thread.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #63
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet
This is why you turn the Assistant coach edits off. :P
LOL - yep I learned my lesson the hard way.
GLES - USC

Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #64
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

SENS INSIDER
Molding a New Team - 1st Round Of Cuts
Volume 2 - Issue 1

September 18th, 2011 - 2 weeks into training camp and 2 exhibition games into the NHL Preseason there is a lot to talk about. As the excitement at the prospect of a promising season begins to mount, players are working hard to find a role on a team that is still seeking a new identity. It's been only 3 months since new head coach Dave Cameron has taken over the reigns but already there is a semblance in his practices of what he wants his team to look like. There has been a lot of fast break drills, and a lot of passing drills which depicts the style he knows best.

In many team skirmishes, familiar faces seem to be grouped together. The successful grind line from last year; featuring Corey Locke, Patrick O'Sullivan, and Chris Neil appear to be back together; often working in tandem in shutting down another familiar pairing of Milan Michalek, Jason Spezza, and Nick Foligno. Highly touted rookie Cedric Wetmore; the number 1 overall pick in this past summers draft has flipped from playing Right Wing to Left Wing and has been paired with numerous centers, including youngsters Cody Bass, Peter Regin, and Zack Smith. At 6'7 he is hard not to miss, but his quiet demeanor and media shyness has added an aura of mystique about him. Pundits are not sure what he'll do in the upcoming season and many skeptics worry he'll turn out like another # 1 overall pick; Alexander Daigle.

With 2 preseason games already in the books and 2 remaining the remaining players will work very hard to make this team. Below are the results of the first two games and the cuts that have been made by the coaching staff thus far.

GAME 1: W 6 - 1 Vs. Toronto
GAME 2: L 9 - 6 @ Montreal

NEWS & NOTES:

As an unsigned UFA Sean Donovan was offered a one year 2 way contract worth $0.600M; which he turned down citing he only would play another year if he was guaranteed a roster spot. Unfortunately, Sens management didn't agree to this and Donovan rejected the contract offer. After a long summer and no other club offers Donovan announced in an official press conference that he is retiring after 15 seasons. Donovan, often relegated to the 3rd or 4th line for much of his career played in 1032 games and scored 119 goals and 136 assists.

Other Retirements were announced in the off-season around the league as well. Teemu Selanne retired after not being resigned by Anaheim, Alexie Kovalev retired immediately after Colorado's playoff run, Pavol Demitra retired after his last year with Vancouver, Chris Drury (NYR) and Cory Stillman (FLA) also called it quits after their extensive careers. After a long year of unemployment Free Agents; Bill Guerin, Robert Lang, and Mathieu Schneider also announced their retirement.

Some RFA's yet to resign with their NHL clubs are causing a headache for their teams management. Columbus Blue Jackets stellar goaltender Steve Mason, has turned down all contract offers from Columbus, citing he is expecting a bigger return. Currently the two sides are trying to work out a deal before the regular season starts. The Boston Bruins also have their hands full when negotiating a contract with upcoming Right Winger Blake Wheeler. Wheeler's party apparently has broken off communication with Bruins Management after a failed bid get the youngster to sign for less to ease the salary cap issues the team is facing.

Lastly, after another terrible season behind the helm of Binghamton, Coach Kurt Kleinendorst has been fired and current Assistant General Manager Randy Cunneyworth will take on the position of head coach for the teams farm club. The team was then very happy to announce that recent retiree Daniel Alfredsson joined the team as the new Assistant General Manager. As a lifelong Senator, it was well known that Daniel had invested in the city of Ottawa, and had established roots here. Not only that, but he has immediate family here, as his brother came to the city during his playing career and settled down in the city. In a brief press conference to make the announcement Alfredsson mentioned "it was important for him to stay involved with the organization and city that gave so much to him, and that he never for once thought about returning to his native Sweden after retirement".
GLES - USC

Last edited by SENS_AK27; 04-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »