Home

Pride, hustle, heart. An NHL 12 Leafs BAGM

This is a discussion on Pride, hustle, heart. An NHL 12 Leafs BAGM within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Pride, hustle, heart. An NHL 12 Leafs BAGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp05
Holy Crap, Lupul lead the Leafs....

What are your plans for season 2?
Yeah, I was honestly sad that he did. lol

as for my plans, I am writing an update now :P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #42
Pro

Season launch update!

Welcome readers and fans, we are one night away from the puck drop on the 2012-2013 NHL season. There is a press conference that will be held later in our program where we are expecting the head coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs to be named.

Since we have a few minutes before that begins let's go over what has happened to this point

Starting with the draft, here is everyone Toronto went after.

NHL Draft - Round 1 Recap
PickTeamPlayerPosHtWt
1st round 16th OVRTorontoSamuel Henley - Power ForwardLW6'3"176 LBS
2nd round 46th OVRTorontoFranky Palazzese - HybridG6'3"162 LBS
2nd round 49th OVRTorontoBrett Hester - Two Way ForwardLW5"11180 LBS
4th round 106th OVRTorontoJacob De Serres - HybridG6'2"182 LBS
5th round 136th OVRTorontoMike Halmo - GrinderLW5'10"191 LBS
6th round 166th OVRTorontoWes Esposito - Two Way DefenderD6'4"207 LBS
7th round 185th OVRTorontoStephen Gaskin - Defensive DefensemanD6'1"186 LBS
7th round 196th OVRTorontoBrock Mcginn - Two Way ForwardLW6'0"166 LBS

That's a total of four left wingers’ two goalies and two defensemen. A decent mix of player types and talents but most have the same thing in common, a strong physical or two way game. True to Brian Burkes philosophy, he is drafting for his guys to play at both ends and be hardnosed about it.

During the fourth round of the draft Toronto made a bit of a surprise announcement, among his normal chorus of boo's Commissioner Gary Bettman announced a trade between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Calgary Flames.

Toronto Trades:
D Carl Gunnarsson 25 years old 1.45M per year 1 year remaining on his contract 80 overall C/B-/C potential

To Calgary for:

RW Greg Nemisz 22 years old .845 per season 1 year remaining on his contract 76 overall B-/B-/B- potential

2012 7th round pick (TOR)

Brian Burke about the trade:

This move was made because our blue line is becoming thick with NHL talent and the way it was shaking down Gunner was heading back to the AHL, or sitting in a press box for extended periods. We didn't think that was fair to him or his development as a player. At the same time we are striving to bring urgency for ice time and roster spots into Toronto not just in the NHL, but our AHL squad as well. One of our big goals this year is to make this organization as a whole, not only a tough team to play against but also a tough place to get ice time due to talent depth. We believe that bringing Greg into the fold this helps us accomplish that at the AHL level, where Greg needs to be right now.

Not long after the draft was completed and the Leafs began their prospect camps it was announced that the Leafs have decided to part ways with tough guy Colton Orr

Toronto buys out:

RW Colton Orr 30 years old 1M per season 1 year remaining on his contract 79 overall C/C/C potential

Brian Burke comments about buying out Orr:

Colton has done a lot for us here in Toronto; he took pride in wearing that leaf on his chest and defended his teammates whenever needed, without second thought. Unfortunately, after suffering a concussion in the 2011 season Colton has struggled with his health and his focus has wavered, during our review we had decided that, though we don't want to buy guys out, this step was necessary in this case, with this player. I sincerely hope Colton can find himself again and refocused to get back to hockey, as I believe he can still be a valuable guy to any club.

After last season’s disappointment (again) there has been a lot of talk in Toronto about contracts, in particular Nikolai Kulemin, Cody Franson, Jonas Gustavsson, Martin Biron who was all on expired contracts and waiting offers from the club. The stress level around the ACC was pretty high all summer as the management team delved into their organization evaluating everything at every level. It wasn't until later in the off season that deals were completed with the following players:

Toronto re-signs:

LW Marcell Mueller 23 years old .525M per year 3 year deal 76 overall C/C/C potential

D Korbinian Holzaer 24 years old .545M per season 2 year deal 76 overall C/C/B- potential

D Cody Franson 24 years old 3.6M per season 5 year deal 84 overall B/B/B potential

LW Nikolai Kulemin 25 years old 2.8M per season 4 year deal 85 overall C/C/C potential

G Mark Owuya 22 years old .925M per season 3 year deal 76 overall B-/C/B- potential

D Keith Aulie 22 years old .700M per season 1 year deal B-/B-/B- potential

D John-Michael Liles 31 years old 3.5M per season 1 year deal 83 overall C/C/C potential

Looks like Burke said the right things to Kulemin as most would agree 2.8 million is a discounted rate for a guy who does as much as Kulemin does.

Also of note Cody Franson received the exact same deal Luke Schenn did last year @ 3.6 million a year for a five year term, Looks like Burke believes in the young D man.

Out of all Toronto's draft picks only one was signed:

Toronto Signs rookie:

G Franky Palazzese 19 years old .685 per year 3 year deal 66 overall B-/B/A- potential

Just after the Maple Leaf's rookie camp came to a close, Leafs management made their cuts to the organization as whole, releasing the following players:

C Phillipe Dupuis 27 years old 78 overall C/C/C potential

C Darryl Boyce 27 years old 75 overall C/C/C potential

LW Jay Rosehill 26 years old 76 overall C/C/C potential

LW Kelsey Wilson 26 years old 74 overall C/C-/C potential

LW Luca Caputi 23 years old 74 overall C/B-/B- potential

LW Ryan Hamilton 27 years old 73 overall C/C/C potential

RW Joey Crabb 29 years old 75 overall C/C/C potential

RW Richard Greenop 23 years old 74 overall C/C/C potential

RW Dale Mitchell 23 years old 74 overall C/C/C potential

RW Matt Frattin 24 years old 72 overall C/C/C- potential

D Jeff Finger 32 years old 80 overall C/C/C potential

D Simon Gysbers 25 years old 75 overall C-/C/C potential

D Matt Lashoff 25 years old 74 overall C/C/C potential

D Juraj Mikus 23 years old 74 overall C/C/C potential

G Martin Biron 34 years old 83 overall C-/C-/C potential

G Jonas Gustavsson 27 years old 81 overall C/C/C potential

G Ben Scrivens 25 years old 76 overall C/C/C potential

The day after releasing this list and free agency opened Toronto aggressively perused free agent talent, with roughly 7M in cap to spend if they felt the need Toronto signed the following free agents:

Toronto Signs:

D Kurtis Foster 30 years old 1.9M 1 year deal 83 overall C/C/C potential

D Ty Wishart 24 years old .695 per season 3 year deal 76 overall B-/B/B- potential

C Oscar Moller 23 years old .875M per season 3 year deal 76 overall B/B-/B- potential

LW Tomas Tatar 21 years old .645M per season 3 year deal 76 overall B/B-/B- potential

LW Oskar Osala 24 years old .590M per season 3 year deal 15 overall B-/B/C potential

C Andy Bathgate 21 years old .525M per season 3 year deal 73 overall B-/B-/B- potential

D Kristofer Berglund 23 years old .525M per season 3 year deal B-/B-/B- potential

G Alexander Auld 31 years old 1.1M 1 year deal 81 overall C/C/C potential

C Dominic Moore 31 years old 1.2M 1 year deal 81 overall C/C/C potential

RW Matthew Halischuk 24 years old 1M 1 year deal 80 overall C/B-/B- potential

LW Justin Abdelkader 25 years old 1M 1 year deal 80 overall C/C/C potential

LW Tannger Glass 28 years old 1.1M 1 year deal 80 overall C/C/C potential

D Niklas Lidstrom 42 years old 4.53M 1 year deal 88 overall D/D-/D potential

RW Teemu Selanne 42 years old 1.7M 1 year deal 84 overall D/D/D potential

RW George Parros 32 years old 1.24M 1 year deal 82 overall C/C/C potential

Some very interesting to note here fans, Toronto just got DEEEEEEEEEEEP. Through due diligence upper management has brought in various levels of talent and depth to every position available, you want to play in Toronto? No problem, earn your spot!

Toronto's search for a backup goaltender has been resolved, with the signing of Journeyman Alexander Auld.

Dominic Moore makes his return to Toronto, as a fourth line center and earning the type of money Burke wanted to pay him years ago.

Niklas Lidstrom parts ways with Detroit, making Toronto his last stop before retirement? The work horse Lidstrom was no doubt brought in to tutor young Dmen Luke Schenn Cody Franson and Jake Gardiner, not to mention that at the age of 42 Lidstrom is still producing healthy numbers and has only showed signs of aging foot speed recently.

Joining Lidstrom is Teemu Selanne, again Selanne was no doubt brought in to Mentor the younger guys in Toronto, show them how a professional goes about his business. Selanne is often regarded as a very classy guy and Toronto brass hopes that will rub off on their young club.

It appeared that the dust had settled over all the recent changes in Toronto, and free agency was a thing of the past. The new season was approaching and training camps were closing shop around the NHL when Toronto announced a trade.

Toronto Trades:
D Mike Komisarek 30 years old 4.5M per season 2 years remaining on his contract 84 overall C/C/C potential

To Chicago for:

LW Kyle Beach 22 years old .875M 1 year remaining on his contract 77 overall B/C/B- potential

2013 5th round pick (CGY)

Brian Burke on the Komisarek deal:

With our current acquisitions, this situation turned into something similar we found ourselves in with Carl Gunnarsson, here we have a guy who is under performing and due to depth would of spent a lot of time riding the press box, we were able to find a good place for Mike to play in and we were also to bring in a young prospect who plays our type of physical game.

Since I dislike the pre season I have simmed that and I am now saved just before the season opener (against Anaheim) here are the results of pre season:

Record: 2-2-0

9-3 loss to Buffalo
4-1 win over Boston
5-4 win over Montreal
3-1 Loss to Ottawa

Toronto Hires a new head coach:
Brian Burke announced earlier today that former leaf great Doug Gilmour will be assuming the position of head coach with a one year contract, Gilmour who was choked for words at the media conference expressed his gratitude to the Leafs and their fans for the years of constant support he has received from them. After which Coach Gilmour released his opening night roster, which looks like this.

Line one
LW Phil Kessel C Tim Connolly RW Nikolai Kulemin
LD Luke Schenn RD Dion Phaneuf ©

Line two
LW Joffery Lupul C Matthew Lombardi RW Clarke MacArthur
LD Cody Franson RD Niklas Lidstrom

Line three
LW Colby Armstrong (A) C Tyler Bozak RW Teemu Selanne
LD Kurtis Foster (A) RD John-Michael Liles

Line four
LW Justin Abdelkader C Dominic Moore RW Tanner Glass

G1
James Reimer
G2
Alex Auld

PP one
LW Phil Kessel C Tim Connolly RW Nikolai Kulemin
LD Cody Franson RD Dion Phaneuf

PP two
LW Teemu Selanne C Matthew Lombardi RW Clarke MacArthur
LD John-Michael Liles RD Niklas Lidstrom

4 Man PP one
C Tim Connolly RW Phil Kessel
LD Cody Franson RD Dion Phaneuf

4 Man PP two
C Matthew Lombardi RW Nikolai Kulemin
LD John-Michael Liles RD Niklas Lidstrom

PK one
C Dominic Moore RW Justin Abdelkader
LD Luke Schenn RD Dion Phaneuf

PK two
C Tyler Bozak RW Tanner Glass
LD Kurtis Foster RD Cody Franson

3 Man PK one
C Dominic Moore
LD Luke Schenn RD Dion Phaneuf

3 Man PK two
C Tyler Bozak
LD Kurtis Foster RD Cody Franson

Key player progression:

RW Phil Kessel 87 overall 25 years old C/C/C potential WAS 87 overall C/C/C potential

D Dion Phaneuf 85 overall 27 years old C/C/C potential WAS 85 overall C/C/C potential

LW Nikolai Kulemin 85 overall 26 years old C/C/C potential WAS 84 overall B-/C/C potential

D Luke Schenn 87 overall 22 years old B-/B-/B potential WAS 84 overall B-/B/B potential

RW Clarke MacArthur 84 overall 27 years old C/C/C potential WAS 83 overall C/C/C potential

D Cody Franson 84 overall 25 years old B/B/B potential WAS 82 overall B/B/B potential

C Nazem Kadri 79 overall 21 years old B/B/B- potential WAS 77 overall B/B/B potential

C Joe Colborne 78 overall 22 years old B/B/B potential WAS 76 overall B/B/B potential

D Jake Gardiner 79 overall 22 years old B-/B-/B potential WAS 76 B/B-/B potential

RW Austin Watson 72 overall 20 years old B/B/B potential WAS 68 overall B/B/B potential

G James Reimer 84 overall 24 years old B/B/B- potential WAS 82 overall B/B/B- potential

Last edited by Dynasty; 10-06-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 17

Holy **** - The Fin and Old Man Lindstrom, great signings, kudos to you.

Though your third line is a mis-match of player types, will be interesting to see how they play out this season. What lines do you have for the marlies?

Are you going to play every game or sim a bunch?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #44
Pro

Quote:
Holy **** - The Fin and Old Man Lindstrom, great signings, kudos to you.

Though your third line is a mis-match of player types, will be interesting to see how they play out this season. What lines do you have for the marlies?

Are you going to play every game or sim a bunch?

I am excited to have them, I hope they will contribute.

I will post my lines for the marlies later tonight

I always play every game, the only reason I simmed last season is because I had to format the ps3 and I wasn't going to replay 60 games.

The only games I always sim is the pre season.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #45
Pro

Press conference with Leafs GM Brian Burke and head coach Doug Gilmour.

Media: Brian can you tell us how you felt about last year, are you disappointed in the club and what are you going to do this year to make sure the team gets into the playoffs.

Burke: of course we are disappointed with that year. We all had high hopes for the playoffs. But we also factor in the injuries and other circumstances you can't control. I think there are some strong posatives from last year, both Tim Connolly and Matthew Lombardi not only played every game but were key pieces on the team, James Reimer showed he is for real and up until he got injured we were in the playoffs.

I have already done what I believe needed to be done to ensure we get into the playoffs, we brought in huge assets and experience in Niklas Lidstrom and Teemu Selanne, we also got guys locked up, Cody Franson and Nikolai Kulemin are difference makers in this league. We replaced the coach and added a ton of depth in every position, our forth line is faster and harder hitting then it has been in the past.

Media: Doug there has been alot of criticism about your lines and where you have Lidstrom and Selanne playing, can you explain why they are where they are?

Gilmour: well it's just where they started for one, I am going to call it as I see it and regardless of the name on the back of your jersey or the size of your pay check, if your going out there night after night and playing like a top line player, your going to play on the top lines if your playing like a fourth liner, geuss what? Hello fourth line!

Right now, based on pre season play everyone is where I thought they played themselves to. As the season rolls on expect people to move around.

Media: Brian there have been suggestions that because you only offered Doug a one year deal that he was the last resort or a stop gap untill a more permanent solution can be found, is this true?

Burke: No, not even close. We interviewed five people all together and Doug was always at the top of that list for who we wanted. Yes it is true that this is a trial for Doug and if he does well we hope to extend his contract. Doug is a student of the game and a very passionate coach, we believe in him and had no second thoughts about hiring him.

Media: there are a few guys up for renewal this year. After putting in strong performances last season, can we expect Tim Connolly and Matthew Lombardi to be at camp next year?

Burke: well for one it is way too earlie to talk about contract extensions. I took time over the summer to talk to all the guys, and when I spoke to Matthew and Tim I expressed to each player that I was happy they were able to play every game and that they performed well for us, and they both know that I have to see that kind of work ethic and ability again. As it stands, yes we want them back and it sure seemed to me they would like to return.

Media: Doug, many of the Toronto fans have been waiting for Phil Kessel to wow them and produce more then 40 goals, what are you going to do to help him get there?

Gilmour: ultimately that is something Phil has to do, but I am going to give him every opportunity to get there and every opertunity to play with our best players to make that happen. The fans here know what they got in Kessel, there is no questions about that and they should be wow'd by him. Anyone who isn't obviously hasn't been watching.

I know what Phil Kessel is and I know what Phil Kessel can do, when I spoke with him about this season I said that exact sentance to him and them I challenged him, I asked him to show me what I believe is within his ability I asked him to show us all how hard he can push himself.

Media: there was speculation that Nazem Kadri and Joe Colborne would anchor the second or third line this season but they were assigned to the marlies, why?

Burke: as Doug has said, you earn your ice time here, nothing is handed to anyone. As an organization we are deep on talent for every position at nearly every skill level. Unfortunately Nazem and Joe didn't play their way onto the team.

Gilmour: There are alot of young guys here that I am excited for, alot of talented kids that are pushing our NHL guys up here to move it or loose it. As it stands none of those young guys made opening roster but I guarantee that they will get their shot again, maybe even sooner then they think.

Burke: Thank you all for attending, that is all of our time for now

Last edited by Dynasty; 10-07-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 17

Great post.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #47
Pro

Quote:
Great post.

Thanks BH, I appreciate the comments.

And dont worry I promise to have the Marlies lines up soon
Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #48
Pro

Toronto Marlie's: At a glance

After a summer of retooling many are expecting not just the Maple Leafs to compete but also their AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlie’s. Let’s have a look at their opening night line up.

Marlies line up

Line one
LW Austin Watson C Joe colborne RW Nazem Kadri
LD Ty Wishart RD Jake Gardiner

Line two
LW Kyle Beach C Oscar Moller RW Tomas Tatar
LD Kristopher Berglund RD Korbinian Holzer

Line three
LW Greg Nemisz C Andy Bathgate RW Marcel Mueller
LD Jamie Devane RD Jesse Blacker

Line four
LW Greg Scott C Mike Brown RW Oskar Osala

G1
Mark Owuya
G2
Jussi Rynnas

PP one
LW Kyle Beach C Joe Colborne RW Nazem Kadri

PP two
LW Tomas Tatar C Oscar Moller RW Austin Watson
LD Korbinian Holzer RD Kristopher Berglund

4 Man PP one
C Joe Colborne RW Kyle Beach

4 Man PP two
C Oscar Moller RW Nazem Kadri
LD Korbinian Holzer RD Kristopher Burglund

PK one
C Andy Bathgate RW Kyle Beach
LD Korbinain Holzer RD Kristopher Berglund

PK two
C Joe Colborne RW Oscar Osala
LD Ty Wishart RD Jesse Blacker

3 Man PK one
C Andy Bathgate
LD Korbinian Holzer RD Kristopher Berglund

3 Man PK two
C Oscar Moller
LD Ty Wishart RD Jesse Blacker

This year's squad is being touted as the most skilled squad the Toronto Marlie's have ever iced, a team full of potential and upcoming talent here is a review from Toronto's internal scouting on their depth chart. Players are ranked left to right, per position, on overall talent and potential.

Toronto Marlies Depth Chart - 2012
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LWKyle Beach (77 overall B/C/B- potential PWF)Tomas Tatar (76 overall B/B-/B- potential TWF) Oscar Osala (75 overall B-/B/C potential TWF)Marcel Mueller (76 overall C/C/C potential PWF)
CJoe Colborne (78 overall B/B/B potential TWF)Nazem Kadri (79 overall B/B/B- potential PLY)Oscar Moller (76 overall B/B-/B- potential TWF)Andy Bathgate (73 overall B-/B-/B- potential TWF)
RWAustin Watson (72 overall B/B/B potential TWF)Greg Nemisz (76 overall B-/B-/B- potential PWF)Greg Scott (73 overall C/C/C potential TWF)Kenny Ryan (71 overall C-/C/C potential GRN)
D #1Jake Gardiner (79 overall B-/B-/B potential OFD)Ty Wishart (76 overall B-/B/B- potential TWD)Kristofer Berglund (75 overall B-/B-/B potential TWD)Stuart Percy (71 overall B-/B/B- potential TWD)
GMark Owuya (76 overall B-/C/B- potential BUT)Jussi Rynnas (74 overall C/C/C potential HYB)Franky Palazzese (66 overall B-/B/A- potential HYB)Jacob De Serres (71 overall C/C/C potential HYB)

Okay so defiantly got talent in the system now. Season ticket holders for the Marlie's are excited about this year’s chances at post season play, but we all know Brian Burke loves truculence and hardnosed play. Looking back we see a lot of two way players and power forwards, but do they have the size to match the skill? Let’s have a look!

Center:
Joe Colborne - 6'5" - 214 pounds
Andy Bathgate - 6'0" - 181 pounds
Oscar Moller - 5'11" - 191 pounds
Nazem Kadri - 6'0" - 177 pounds

Left Wing:
Oskar Osala - 6'4" - 226 pounds
Marcel Mueller - 6'3" - 220 pounds
Kyle Beach - 6'3" - 212 pounds
Tomas Tatar - 5'11" - 188 pounds

Right wing:
Greg Nemisz - 6'4" - 201 pounds
Kenny Ryan - 6'1" - 205 pounds
Greg Scott - 6'0" - 193 pounds
Autin Watson - 6'3" - 188 pounds

Defense:
Ty Wishart - 6'4" - 222 pounds
Korbinian Holzer - 6'3" - 207 pounds
Jesse Blacker 0 6'2" - 187 pounds
Jake Gardiner - 6'2" - 184 pounds
Kristopher Berglund - 5'10" - 183 pounds

So as you can see it should also be a year that the Marlie's are doing the pushing instead of being the ones pushed around. Burke has always been clear at what kind of player he prefers, and it’s obvious what the future Leafs team will consist of. Now it's up to these young guys to make that next push and get into the NHL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »