Home

Island hockey, NHL 12 Be a GM

This is a discussion on Island hockey, NHL 12 Be a GM within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
MVP

seb170455's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Island hockey, NHL 12 Be a GM

Nice dynasty. Too bad that you lost Montoya. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
MVP

See, everyone loves your dynasties Dynasty - tongue twister. ha ha
Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 2

Hello fans and readers for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

As I said in last weeks report Islanders GM Garth Snow is a patient guy who has shown a knack for opportunism and being at the right place at the right time.

Recent examples of this is the waiver claim of Michael Grabner a displaced sniper just recently traded from Vancouver to Florida and on his way to the minors when Snow stepped in. Grabner now leads a very productive first line in points and goals, not bad.

Then Snow also via waivers grabbed Nabokov, whom was attempting to re enter the NHL at the time. Even though Nabokov kicked up a fuss about reporting to the Islanders for duty, he came around and now is the teams number one goaltender, pretty slick.

Two guys who aren't just performing, but are the best at what they each do on the team, atleast for the time being, and all of this for the low price of nothing.

Yesterday Snow again made a waiver claim taking RW George Parros (TGH) 31 years old .850M 1 year remaining on his contract 81 overall C/C/C potential from the Anaheim Ducks.

Now Parros isnt going to lead the team in save percentage or wins or goals or points but he steps in as the undisputed heavy weight and will be relied upon to enforce the freedom of smaller guys like Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, Moulson, Parenteau and Bailey.

As a result Trvor Gillies has been sent down to the AHL to clear a roster spot for George to see immediate action in tommorows opener in a home and home series with the rival Rangers.

In the case of Gillies vs Parros it's a simple equation of whatever you can do, I can do better and the Islanders only stand to gain.

This claim came across several hours after a 8-2 beat down loss from Philadelphia in which Artyukhin was handed a major for boarding and Gillies couldn't entice anyone to go for lunch, never mind a fight.

Immediately following this transaction GM Garth Snow called a brief press conference detailing a trade.

New York Islanders trade:

D Andrew Macdonald (TWD) 25 years old 1.16M per season 3 years remaining on his contract 80 overall C/C/C potential (Islanders drafted Macdonald in 2006 in the 6th round 160th overall)

To Edmonton for:

D Theo Peckham (DFD) 24 years old 1.075M 1 year remaining on his contract 81 overall B-/B-/B- potential

First glance this seems to be a rather common trade, two players on the same skill level just able to play different roles with different skill sets.

Ultimately the success of this trade for the Islanders will be told next season when and if Peckham resigns. What this trade accomplishes, upon further inspection is a bunch of intangibles for the Islanders.

While Macdonald was solid on both ends of the puck he was more of a positional player. The Islanders current make up is one of speed and strength. The further you get from line one the slower the team becomes but they also get bigger and bigger and meaner.

Peckham will fit well into the role he will be asked to play, which is a shut down d man that punishes hard with the body and stays at home. This is even more evident when you consider that Peckham will ice beside McCabe who is expected to be the offensive risk taker.

Word out of Long Island is that Macdonald struggled in this role and always seemed to be cought in the middle. Also take in mind that the defense core here is aging and though Macdonald was also young, Peckham could be a center piece of stability moving forward.

Sources near the Islanders report that this was the sole reason for GM Garth Snow's week long visit to Edmonton and that the Islanders scouting staff rate Peckham high in physicality, defensive ability and foot speed, something that Macdonald lacked.

From the Edmonton side of this deal they no longer have to deal with resigning Peckham, who is expected to get a decent raise. They get in return a guy who is signed to a three year deal at a very affordable price and a guy who will help greatly with the Oilers transition game they favour to play.

It would appear that coach Capuano will put a lot of faith and weight on his new D man as Peckham will be relied upon to cover for the offensive minded McCabe on the teams second unit and assume a top penalty killing role with the Islanders.

It's a win for both teams this time, for more NHL coverage keep an eye on us here. For TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Last edited by Dynasty; 01-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan31
Well for a player like Shea Weber yes, which of course would be a great addition to any team, but you especially need that elite d-man. But even just looking at Andres Lindback. I believe you could acquire him for a solid forward and maybe a pick of some sort.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did go and take a look at him but I'm going to leave that decision untill later in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb170455
Nice dynasty. Too bad that you lost Montoya. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Seb I appreciate you following and commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp05
See, everyone loves your dynasties Dynasty - tongue twister. ha ha
:P
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
MVP

Great trade, Peckham is a great prospect. Good job.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
MVP

Tazer19's Arena

Nicely done Dynasty, solid work.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Pro

Twenty game update

Team record: 9-6-5 / 20th in NHL / 10th in East

Team stats after 20
Goals for: 56 (23rd in NHL)
Goals for per game: 2.80 (17th in NHL)
Goals against: 54 (9th in NHL)
Goals against per game: 2.70 (14th in NHL)
Powerplay percentage: 30% (1st in NHL)
Penalty killing percentage: 81.1% (17th in NHL)

Josh Bailey to Matt Moulson for a nice one timer goal

Coach Capuano on the past ten games

We got away from our game for about five games there, we started playing finesse individual little plays and more often then not the puck went in our net as a result.

The past five games we have come back to the style of hockey that made us successful earlier in the year and it began to pay dividends immediately, we are running a three game winning streak right now and it's all systems go.

The additions of Parros and Peckham have done exactly what we hoped they would. George picked up a goal in his first game and Theo has been the perfect balance for McCabe, who feels he can cheat here and there when an opportunity comes up, know Peckham will be there to back him up.

At times we become predictable but at this point id rather stick with something that has been working, and worked in the past rather then try and reinvent the wheel, were playing fast and physical hockey and that’s the way we want it.

Artyukhin hit's not only people, but nets too! ALL FEAR THE ARTYUKHIN!

New York Islanders Stats - 2011
SkatersGPGAPTS+/-GWPIMSOGSPCT
Michael Grabner209101911107711.7%
John Tavares207101710225612.5%
Kyle Okposo207101710245612.5%
P.A Parenteau2061117-3285910.2%
Josh Bailey204913-20103810.5%
Matt Moulson208513-5006612.1%
Brian Rolston20279-616523.8%
Mark Streit20268304267.7%
Frans Nielson20336-5022213.6%
Marty Reasoner20156-207195.3%
Travis Hamonic192356021315.4%
Bryan McCabe 8044-200110%
George Parros2222410321513.3%
Jay Pandolfo20033-900230%
Evgeny Artyukhin20303-30312114.3%
Trevor Gillies191232121185.6%
Milan Jurcina20022206140%
Steve Staios1302250240%
Theo Peckham231012030175.9%
GoaliesGPWLTGAATOISVSV%SHO
Evgeni Nabokov146802.61851367.907%0
Rick Dipeitro63301.96367149.922%1

Third line magic, Pandolfo, Neilsen and Rolston combine to get a goal

Dipietro is going to get a couple more starts just due to good performance but don’t let the numbers fool you, I scheduled his games against weaker teams, Nabokov always faces the tougher competition.

I really like my top line, but honestly I rely on Grabner sooo much, he makes that line work through his skating, most of the time it's him chasing a dump in or entering the zone with speed, if not him then Okposo who is pretty quick as well. At this time Tavares is always behind the play but he’s so good at finding the quiet areas of the ice so he is effective and dangerous.

My second line is a skilled grind line that out works opposition teams in the offensive zone, though you can see they are not so strong on the defensive side of the puck

I have placed Grabner and Okposo on me first and second winger slots for the PK units, I find their raw speed a very good PK tactic, which can present shorthanded chances.

NHL League Leaders - Updated: Nov 26, 2011
GoalsGAssistsA
1. Sidney Crosby151. Martin St. Louis21
2. Patrick Kane152. Mike Ribeiro19
3. Thomas Vanek143. Ryan Getzlaf19
4. Phil Kessel134. Jonathan Toews19
5. Dustin Penner135. Eric Staal19
PointsPTSHitsHITS
1. Eric Staal291. Luke Schenn89
2. Steven Stamkos292. Brent Seabrook87
3. Olli Jokinen293. Trevor Daley80
4. Jarome Iginla284. Robyn Regehr74
5. Jussi Jokinen275. Tim Gleason72
WinsWGoals against average (10+ GP)GAA
1. Carey Price131. Corey Crawford1.62
2. Corey Crawford122. Antti Niemi1.63
3. James Reimer123. Ryan Miller1.75
4. Tim Thomas124. Carey Price1.93
5. Mikka Kiprusoff115. Mikka Kiprusoff2.05
Save Percentage (10+ GP)SV%ShutoutsSO
1. Antti Niemi.945%1. Antti Niemi3
2. Ryan Miller.941%2. Ryan Miller3
3. Corey Crawford.940%3. Tim Thomas3
4. Mikka Kiprusoff.933%4. Carey Price3
5. Nikolai Khabibulin.928%5. Corey Crawford2

Moulson gets a bounce of both gloves and one to go between the wickets

Peckham on being traded to the Islanders

I honestly didn’t think much about it, I had a feel something was up but it didn't bother me much really, I came to work and did my best regardless.

I’ve only had one game here so far and it's totally different in the locker room here then Edmonton, this is my first time being moved at this level and I dunno, it was just interesting to see how an entirely different group of guys approach the same game.

Edmonton and the Islanders were in similar places, standings wise anyways. There is a lot of energy in this room here and I like it, really pumped me up to get out there.

The guys were really good to me on my first day with them; I look forward to the season here on Long Island.

Slow motion offensive excellence, watch it twice, it's that good.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

Great job Dynasty.
Very interested to see how you decide to turn this team into a winner.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »