Home

Turning up the heat - NHL 15 BE A GM

This is a discussion on Turning up the heat - NHL 15 BE A GM within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #25
Pro

bpete07's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Turning up the heat - NHL 15 BE A GM

Dynasty I'm thinking about starting up my GM. Any suggestions on who to roll with this year? I was thinking Dallas?

Last edited by bpete07; 01-01-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #26
Pro

Braeden's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpete07
Dynasty I'm thinking about starting up my GM. Any suggestions on who to roll with this year? I was thinking Dallas?
Dallas is an interesting team to do. They have good players in Benn, Seguin, Lehtonen and Nichuskin. Their defence is pretty decent aswell.

I'd personally like to see a Minnesota or Winnipeg 'chise.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #27
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpete07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden
Dallas is an interesting team to do. They have good players in Benn, Seguin, Lehtonen and Nichuskin. Their defence is pretty decent aswell.

I'd personally like to see a Minnesota or Winnipeg 'chise.

Hey guys, thanks for reading as always.

Dallas is interesting, I think they are close to being good just need some tweaks and good to go.

The advice I can offer is to have a look at the teams your interested in and find one that you want to play and be the GM, if you don't to find the team interesting yourself you won't stick with it.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
Pro

bpete07's Arena

OVR: 6

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to roll with Tampa
Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #29
Pro

Thirty game update

Well Flames fans the past ten games have been rough to watch, unless you were the also the fan of any opponent the Flames played. The first four games went well with the Flames grabbing three wins, then it was tie to cover your eyes as the flames lost the next six games straight, setting a new season low for games lost in a row.

During this stretch Calgary got out scored 22-5 a somewhat mind bottling stat which included getting shut out twice

Past ten games:
4-0 W VS CHI
6-4 L VS NJ
1-0 W @ ANA
3-0 W @ SJ
5-1 L @ ARZ
2-0 L VS ARZ
3-2 SOL VS COL
3-1 L VS SJ
4-0 L @ TOR
5-1 L @ BUF

So as your going down that list your thinking yeah! shutout win versus Chicago?! then okay.. crazy game vs New Jersey. Then a very tight 1-0 shutout against Anaheim backed up with another shutout win against San Jose!!!! on a roll right? BOOM! reality.

loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss.

Young team, the ride has many peaks and many valleys right?

Setoguchi blows one through Varly in his first game back

Calgary Flames Stats - 2015
SkatersGPGAPTS+/-GWPIMSOGSPCT
D. Setoguchi2911920110106616.6%
S. Monahan30612181044812.5%
M. Raymond30961571157711.6%
S. Bennett3077145066211.2%
M. Reinhart305712-6062817%
J. Gaudreau306612036767.8%
L. Smid30099-1309150%
J Hudler30729-2165712.2%
D. Wideman30088-9019150%
T.J. Brodie30178208156.6%
J. Colborne30358-409446.8%
B. Arnold14257-104238.7%
M. Giordano300663016180%
S. Beartschi30426-131113810.6%
M. Granlund24235-505336.6%
C. Clencross19044-6022300%
K. Russell30044-212190%
L. Bouma16202-1705229%
GoaliesGPWLTGAATOISVSV%SHO
K. Ramo155802.29913340.9032
J. Hiller155802.98907295.8671

News and notes:

Calgary trades:
RW David Jones (SNP) 30 years old top 9 forward 83 overall 4M - 1.5M retained 1 year remaining on contract

To Winnipeg for:
2015 2nd (WPG)

Beartschi shows hints of future potential? maybe?

NHL League Leaders - Updated: Dec 12, 2014
GoalsGAssistsA
1. T. Seguin221. B. Marchand25
2. J. Skinner192. P. Kane25
3. A. Semin183. J. Skinner24
4. M. Hossa184. F. Nielsen23
5. D. Perron175. C. Hodgson23
PointsPTSPlus/Minus+/-
1. J Skinner431. J. Skinner22
2. A. Semin392. J. Williams21
3. M. Hossa393. N. Hjalmarsson21
4. P. Kane364. S. Voynov20
5. C. Hodgson365. A. Kopitar20
WinsWGoals against averageGAA
1. C. Anderson191. J. Quick2.05
2. J. Quick182. C. Anderson2.20
3. C. Price153. C. Crawford2.27
4. J. Halak154. A. Niemi2.28
5. A. Niemi145. K. Ramo2.29
Save percentageSV%ShutoutsSO
1. J. Quick.9311. T. Rask4
2. C. Anderson.9282. H. Lundqvist4
3. A. Niemi.9253. C. Schneider3
4. C. Price.9224. C. Crawford3
5. J. Halak.9205. N. Backstrom3

Nice passing gets Bouma on the scoresheet

NHL Standings - Updated: Dec 1,
EAST PLAYOFF RACEWLOTLPTSGFGA
Ottawa2071417963
Montrel2091419571
New Jersey19101399182
Detroit1892388678
Islanders1694369181
Tampa Bay18120368819
Carolina15943410179
Rangers15102328374
WEST PLAYOFF RACEWLOTLPTSGFGA
Los Angeles2063439561
Chicago20814110163
San Jose1722368883
Winnipeg13116328288
Minnesota14103318581
Nashville14113317485
Vancouver13124308788
St. Louis14132307882

The rumour mill is going crazy around Calgary right now folks, stay tuned as we will keep you up to date if anything happens.

Last edited by Dynasty; 01-03-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:37 AM   #30
Pro

Hello and welcome Flames fans, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Word out of the Flames camp is that as for now its situation normal. Which to anyone observing with more than a casual glance can see that this is not the case.

In fact as far as reliable sourcing and reports go Flames GM Brad Treliving has been working the phones hard for nearly a full week and has been locked away in the Flames war room which is usually reserved for days like Trade deadline and draft preparation duties.

At this point it's safe to say that something involving the Flames is coming, and we believe that whatever it is, it will happen soon, in fact we just got word that Flames head coach Bob Hartley was recalled from Buffalo nearly immediately after Calgary's 5-1 loss last night and remains at head office in Calgary even though the Flames have traveled to Pittsburgh to meet with the Penguins for tonight's back end of a back to back set.

one would think with all the factors compiled together, something is coming down the pipe line, sadly to this point we have no reliable sourcing to provide an idea of what could possibly be announced but never the less as soon as we have it in good standing you will find it here first.

Keep an eye flames fans, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Dynasty; 01-03-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #31
Pro

Hello and welcome Flames fans, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

The action seems to be squared fully on Calgary as far as roster moves and trades are concerned, Flames GM Brad Treliving has been working on something for at least the past week or two and it has unfolded early this morning.

Calgary trades:

C Mikael Backlund (TWF) 25 years old top 6 forward potential (Medium) 82 overall 1.5M 1 year remaining on contract

To Anaheim for:

LW Patrick Maroon (PWF) 26 years old bottom 6 forward potential (medium) 79 overall 2M per season 3 years remaining on contract

D Sheldon Souray (TWD) 38 years old 7th D (exact) 76 overall 3.665M 1 year remaining on contract

2015 3rd (ANA)

Looking at the package overall and not the players specifically we can see two teams trying to achieve different goals here. Calgary gets a meaty forward with some offensive upside that could move up and down their roster if needed, but at this point it looks like Maroon is settling into a bottom six roll, and he plays that well. Souray smells like cap dump to me as Anaheim has been struggling this year offensively, sitting one game above five hundred and out of the playoff picture and the third round pick looks like compensation for picking up his contract.

So this deal is almost two separate deals rolled into one to make it official.

Mikeal Backlund for Patrick Maroon and Sheldon Souray plus a third for cap space. this move frees up just over four million for Anaheim to pursue other trades if they see fit. I think it's pretty obvious that Souray won't see the ice in the NHL unless serious injuries occur and he will be released during the off season regardless of who carries his contract but Anaheim had better options for defensive help and depth and needed the space, meanwhile Calgary needs to gain cap and can eat his contract easily.

Backlund could provide secondary scoring for a struggling Ducks team as he has the skill set to do so, more than Maroon at this point in their respective careers, and if he doesn't prove to be the player they desired, his contract expires in the off season, though he will remain an RFA.

Numbers game has a look at the trade:

Anaheim gets:

Backlund could fit well into Anaheim's line up and provide them with some skill in their top 9, he has the ability to play on the power play and distribute from the middle or wing, though he seemed somewhat diselusioned in Calgary this season he is just coming off a break out year as you can see on the table above.

So why didn't Calgary keep him then you ask? Backlund clearly had an issue in Calgary this season, what ever that issue is we are unsure of but clearly there was something, either lack of trust or lack of space to iron out the kinks, perhaps an issue in the locker room or with head coach Bob Hartley, it's unknown at this point.

Even if it was a locker room issue Backlund is heading into a strong locker room in Anaheim and shouldn't be a problem either way, he won't be a prominent player the likes of a Getzlaf or Perry but will still be counted on to produce with whatever line mates he ends up with. I imagine that he will see power play time and play with a higher quality of player than he has seen in Calgary this season.

Look for Backlund to find new life in his game.

Calgary gets:

Similarly to Backlund, Patrick Maroon has seen limited action in Anaheim this season even though he had somewhat of a breakout season last year.
Maroon has been a healthy scratch more often than not in favour of adding more skill to an offensively challenged line up, which adds more credibility to this trade for both teams involved, neither player was really being used by their original teams and both teams need what the other player brings.

In this case Calgary looses a little on the skill end but gains significantly on the physical end. At 6'3" and 230 pounds Maroon can, and enjoys tossing his weight around when its needed, he will also ditch the mitts for a scrap if a teammate gets taken advantage of.

Maroon has settled into a bottom six role but has the potential of spot filling higher in the line up if an injury were to occur, has has seen power play time previously with the Ducks and has soft enough hands to bury the puck if presented with an opportunity.

Look for Maroon to add a physical dimension Calgary severely lacks in their bottom six (and really, the whole line up)

Calgary gets:

Souray hasn't looked at the ice this season, never mind stepped foot on it. His inclusion in this trade would be to open up the 3.6 or so million of cap he was eating in Anaheim and transfer that to Calgary who can easily afford the hit for the remainder of this season.

It is doubtful that Souray will see time at the NHL level in Calgary but I would guess he would remain with the big club incase injuries were to strike heavily and he would be needed. it's a long standing classic statement that you can never have enough defensemen.

If Souray were to see usage in Calgary it would only improve the value of this trade in Calgary's favour and even if so though he is in the far twilight of his career and has lost a step... or two... Souray's stats when he did see playing time in the past two years have been mostly posative.

Calgary gets:

2015 3rd round pick.

This is the sweetener for taking Souray off of Anaheim's hands. It's a low risk low reward situation but you never know. Players drafted in the third round (90-120) from the 1990-2009 season have produced the likes of Marc Savard, Patrick Sharp, Alexander Edler, Johan Franzen, Keith Yandle, Christian Ehrhoff, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Mikka Kiprusoff, Lubomir Visnovsky and Miroslav Satan.

Having more draft picks never hurt anyone before, it shouldn't now either.

At the end of this numbers game assessment it's clear to see, both teams potentially got players they needed to fill specific holes and make the team as a whole better. Anaheim, a big skilled team got some more skill and lost a little size. Calgary, a small speed team got bigger and meaner at the cost of some skill.

Turning back to live events here, its possible that Calgary isn't done yet as neither head coach Bob Hartley or GM Brad Treliving haven been made available for the typical media scrum after trades. Both are still inside head office in Calgary, even though his trade was announced nearly an hour ago.

For everything Flames, keep your eyes here. For TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Last edited by Dynasty; 01-03-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
Pro

Hello and welcome fans, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

It appears that the Calgary Flames will continue with changes today, just a couple hours ago the trade with Anaheim involving the disgruntled Mikeal Backlund for the sparingly used Patrick Maroon was announced and now we have confirmation from the club that:

Calgary trades:

RW Devin Setoguchi (SNP) 27 years old top 6 forward (exact) Role: 3rd line scorer 84 overall .750M 1 year remaining on his contract

To Los Angeles for:

LW Kyle Clifford (GRN) 23 years old bottom 6 forward (high) Role: 3rd line checker .945M 1 year remaining on his contract

2015 2nd (LAK)

Looking at this deal as a whole I am surprised from both sides of it. It was looking like Setoguchi had finally found his home in Calgary and was settling in with a productive start (and leading the team in many categories) and Clifford was such a good fit for the Kings and the style of game they employ, but dig a little deeper and perhaps we find reasoning behind the swap.

L.A is up hard on the cap and will have to make decisions regarding 33 year old RW Justin Williams who is due for renewal as well as 32 year old C Jarret Stoll, 22 year old LW Tanner Pearson who is coming off his entry level contract and due for a raise, 22 year old RW Tyler Toffoli who is also coming off his entry level contract and due for a raise, 25 year old C Jordan Nolan coming off his entry level deal. Questions about re-signing 34 year old D Robyn Regehr, 26 year old D Jamie Mccain, and back up goaltender Martin Jones.

Perhaps it was the thinking of Kings GM Dean Lombardi that Clifford would want too much money to be able to retain other players, or perhaps a re-emerging Setoguchi who also has decent size at 6'0" 205 LBS can fit well into the Kings system and perhaps replace an aging Williams.

Numbers game:

L.A Kings get:

Setoguchi has already matched his goal total (11) from 75 games played last year, has better plus/minus on a troubled Calgary team has more shots and better shooting percentage than the past four years, yes he has struggled to stay consistent there is no doubt of that. He also once reached the 30 goal plateau along side Joe Thornton in San Jose, granted he hasn't returned to that form. His closest marker to that 30 goal year in 08/09 was 20 goals in the 10/11 season again with San Jose. His numbers are on the rise again though, if he remains on his current pace Setoguchi projects in around 25 goals and 20 assists, not bad at all for .750M of cap space, especially once you combine him with higher tier talent players that he will see in L.A. VS his regular line mates in Calgary.

The kings are perennial contenders of late and are again charging towards post season glory this year sitting atop the NHL standings. It's possible that if Setoguchi continues his scoring ways he may take a discount on his next deal to remain with said perennial contender.

Given the worst case scenario and Setoguchi doesn't continue to put up points or is unsignable in the off season L.A delt from an area of abundance to bolster their scoring touch and to take a chance on a 27 year old sniper to potentially replace 33 year old Justin Williams.

Not that far fetched of an idea.

Calgary gets:

Clifford continues to fill an obvious void in Calgary and will further push their compete and physical ability up, he's young enough that he could grow into a somewhat larger role and is skilled enough that he could be counted upon if a scoring opportunity were to arise, it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Clifford in many different situations for the Flames this season as they test his capabilities and he will be an RFA this upcoming off season as he seeks contract renewal with his new club.

Clifford should turn out to be a fan favourite here and an important character player for Calgary as the years progress. The loss of a productive Setoguchi will set the Flames back on the score sheet, of that there is no doubt as Cliffords highest scoring NHL totals are still below Setoguchi's worst but his impact will be along the boards in both ends of the ice, again an area Calgary needs a boost in.

Calgary gets:
2015 2nd (LAK)

A nice addition to the deal for Calgary who is gathering a surplus of picks for this years draft, this draft pick would represent the skill difference between the two players involved in this trade I would assume, never the less it gives Calgary options on the draft floor.

I have just been made aware we will be turning our coverage to a live press conference with Flames GM Brad Treliving that is about to start, afterward we will return here.

For everything Flames keep your eyes here, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Last edited by Dynasty; 01-03-2015 at 05:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »