Home

Third Time's The Charm(?) - Atlanta Firebirds

This is a discussion on Third Time's The Charm(?) - Atlanta Firebirds within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
EA Sports UFC 3 Patch 1.12 Available - Adds 2 Fighters and 3 Gameplay Tuning Changes
How WWE 2K Is Taking Cues From NBA 2K
NASCAR Heat 3 Trial Available Now For Xbox One and PlayStation 4

Old 11-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #9
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Third Time's The Charm(?) - Atlanta Firebirds

Fire Brigade: Postcards From Training Camp

Whether it's the general optimism of a new season, or whether Vegas raised the bar for what an expansion team might be able to accomplish in its first season, there's a sense of optimism and fun in the Atlanta locker room as training camp begins.

As expected, newcomers... yeah, they're all newcomers but you know what we mean... Ryan Kesler and David Perron have been working together with RW Jesper Fast on what is shaping up as the #1 line, and early indications are that Kesler will be wearing the captain's C when the season starts. We asked Kesler how he felt about accepting the mantle of "face of the franchise".

"I think that's something that's more for you guys to debate about than anything else. We've got a room full of professionals who have been around this game; it's not like being the captain or being the guy they brought in via trade means these other guys don't know their roles or how to get themselves ready for games. As far as 'face of the franchise'... if that's a thing coming from the fans... I mean, who doesn't like fans wearing your sweater or asking for an autograph? If it's about lists and rankings and stuff... I'm just here to play hockey and try to help this team compete."

The second line is shaping up as LW Rick Nash, C Riley Nash (teammates are already beginning to dub them as "Big Nacho" and "Little Nacho"), and RW Craig Smith. Smith, not wanting to be the odd Nash out, has been leaning into situation with aplomb, showing up to an early practice as "Reggie Nash", complete with a fake mustache, Hanson Brothers glasses, and a self-made stick-tape nameplate.

The third line will be a bit of a speed line, with Mark Letestu centering for Andrew Cogliano and Darren Helm (playing out of position on the right wing). "We're a little older, but we can still skate with the kids. Maybe teach 'em a few things", said Helm.

This would seem to leave Carl Hagelin, Adam Lowry, and Tyler Pitlick as the 4th line for now.

On defense, Petrovic and Larsson have been working together as a pair, as have Del Zotto and Connor Murphy. This has left veteran Kevin Bieksa working round-robin with the younger guys -- Christian Djoos, Gustav Olofsson, and Adam Pelech. The latter situation has led to the creation of a makeshift shrine outside Bieksa's stall, with the younger blue-liners leaving "offerings" for dispensation of his hockey wisdom -- on the day we were there, it held a Red Bull, a pack of gum, a keychain with the Atlanta Braves' logo, and (somewhat inexplicably) a Taylor Swift CD.

Between the pipes, Philipp Grubauer has been all but named the starter. The real question is whether Linus Ullmark will stay in Atlanta and get some starts in a 1A/1B fashion, or whether he'll go down to the minors to see action every day, in which case Jaroslav Halak would back up Grubauer.

The other excitement in camp was getting a first look at top pick Nikolai Sbruev, and early indications are he's going to be a good one (Ed: not fully scouted, but showing as Elite and already a 77 overall). Sbruev has been working a line with C Dominik Simon and RW Nail Yakupov. We asked Yakupov if he felt like his experience as a former #1 overall gave him some insights that would allow him to mentor Sbruev.

"It's not quite the same situation, #1 overall is a bigger thing, a bigger stage. But maybe there are some things I can share about adjusting to NHL life that would be useful. I think the biggest thing will be to bring out the best in each other on the ice, and the other stuff will take care of itself."

Center Manuel Greffe (1-21-21) and defenseman Ryan Merkley (2-4-35) have also been drawing rave reviews; neither is ready-to-go as Sbruev, but both may end up making their stays in Birmingham short ones. We're also hearing some decent early buzz about 4th-round pick Ray Finley (4-3-99). On the other hand, we've been hearing some disappointment with 2nd-round pick Filip Hallander (2-29-61) -- an unnamed source in the organization characterized it as "not a total flameout, he'll probably still make an NHL roster at some point, but maybe not the difference-maker we hoped he'd be". (Ed: Hallander's ceiling has dropped to Bottom 6 as we've scouted him better).
Old 11-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #10
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

2018 Pre-Season Results

9/25 vs Florida -- L, 6-4
Quiet first two periods; fireworks erupt in the 3rd, turning a 2-1 snore into a shootout. Finley, Yakupov, Leier, and Lowry tally in the losing effort; Hoffman gets a hat trick for the Panthers.

9/27 @ Boston -- L, 3-2 (SO)
Perron and Lowry stake the Firebirds to a 2-0 lead, but the wheels come off in the 3rd, and the coup de grace is applied in the shootout.

9/30 vs Toronto -- L, 5-2
Close game early, but Toronto pulls away late. Sbruev and Kesler score in the losing effort.

10/2 @ Tampa Bay -- L, 2-0
Atlanta gets nothing going on offense (not just goal-less -- only 22 shots), while Tampa puts a pair up on Halak.

10/3 @ Buffalo -- W, 4-1
The first pre-season win comes as Atlanta fires off four unanswered goals in the 3rd period. Pirri and Letestu score in the first two minutes of the 3rd to erase a 1-0 deficit; Helm and Letestu (again) add insurance later on.

10/6 vs Montreal -- W, 5-4 (SO)
Another big 3rd period by the 'Birds forces OT, and Beau Bennett buries the winner in the shootout. In regulation, Kesler notched a pair; Bennett and Hagelin scored the other two.

10/8 - vs Ottawa -- L, 3-1

The preseason ends on a down note, as a scoreless first slowly slips away. Letestu briefly gives the home team the lead early in the 2nd, but Duchene and Smith answer back later in the period, and Gaborik adds an insurance tally in the final minute of play.

FINAL PRE-SEASON RECORD: 2-4-1

Last edited by PFellah; 11-29-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

The Future Is Now: Sbruev Makes Opening Day Roster
Firebirds announce starting roster and captains

SBRUEV GETS THE CALL
In a bit of a surprise move, Nikolai Sbruev, the team's top draft choice, survived final training camp cuts to make the Opening Day roster. Even more surprising, Sbruev was seen working on right wing on the #1 line with David Perron and Ryan Kesler.

"The first question was whether the kid had the skills to play at this level, and he showed in training camp that he does," said GM Ian Baxter. "Once we decided he was ready for the big stage, we felt it would be best to put him in a position to succeed, and that meant letting him work with players who can bring out the best in him and vice versa."

To accomodate Sbruev on the #1 line, Jesper Fast appears to now be skating with the 3rd line with Cogliano and Letestu, bumping veteran Darren Helm to more of a utility role to start the season. "One of the reasons we went back to Detroit and took another look at Darren is we felt he was the sort of guy who could plug in anywhere on the depth chart. We still expect him to see the ice a fair amount, even in this new role."

The two remaining training camp lines (Nash-Nash-Smith and Hagelin-Lowry-Pitlick) remain undisturbed to start the season.

KESLER NAMED CAPTAIN, PERRON AND SMITH ALTERNATES

As was widely rumored, center Ryan Kesler was designated the team captain. RW Craig Smith and LW David Perron were named as the two alternates. "These guys represent veteran leadership and deep experience to a team that's a little on the young side. That doesn't mean other guys might not play a leadership role as the season progresses, but we expect them to set the tone for us out of the gate.

MUELLER LEAPFROGS INTO STARTING SIX ON D

Mirco Mueller had flown a little under the radar in training camp, as other guys seemed to be getting the bulk of the work with the starters while Mueller often paired with guys pegged for the minors. But when the team released its depth chart for the opener, Mueller was listed on the second defense pair with Connor Murphy, hopping over Olofsson and Pelech, who ended up headed for Birgmingham. Alex Petrovic and Adam Larsson stay together on the first pair, and Michael Del Zotto is now paired with Christian Djoos, putting Kevin Bieksa into the 7th defense role people assumed he was signed to fill.

NO GOALIE TIME-SHARE; ULLMARK TO MINORS

Some of the early reports were that the Firebirds might try to open up the competition in net, or at least create a 1A/1B situation with Philipp Grubauer. However, in a move that was obvious in hindsight, the team recalled Jaroslav Halak to serve as backup and sent Linus Ullmark to the minors so he could see more regular action.

"You have a young guy like Linus, it's tempting to want to get him up there and see what he can do, but I think it's better for his overall development to be working regularly," said Baxter. "I hope he takes this move in the spirit intended and realize it's not a lack of confidence or a negative reflection; if anything, it's our way of saying that we're investing in his long-term growth as a player."

OPENING DAY ROSTER AND LINES

Last edited by PFellah; 12-02-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #12
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

October 2018: 'Birds Afire To Start Season

All the preparation is done, it's time to take to the ice and see how this team plays in real games. Let's get right to it.

10/12 @ Edmonton – 3-2 W
It wasn’t pretty, but let the record reflect that Rick Nash scored the first goal in team history, though he got a helping hand from an Edmonton defenseman knocking a rebound into his own net. Atlanta then built a 3-0 lead on goals by Carl Hagelin and Craig Smith. But then Connor McDavid remembered he was one of the best players on the planet, scoring twice within about 4 minutes to narrow the gap to 3-2 late in the 2nd. Atlanta, however, held the Oilers in check in the 3rd, killing two penalties en route to an inaugural win.

On a side note: minor-league goalie Linus Ullmark immediately went down with back spasms and will be sidelined for a week or two. Don't think that has a major impact, but worth noting.

10/15 vs Dallas – 2-1 W
It’s the Firebirds’ home opener, and the kid makes his first NHL goal a huge one: Nikolai Sbruev scores the eventual game-winner about halfway home in the 3rd to break a 1-1 deadlock. A few minutes earlier, Dallas’ Devin Shore had just taken the air out of the arena by scoring right after Atlanta had killed a 5-on-3 penalty. Kesler scored the other goal for Atlanta. Grubauer stopped 35 out of 36 shots faced.

10/17 vs Ottawa – 4-2 W
Another treat for the home crowd. It was an even 2nd period, as both teams scored a pair in the middle frame (Duchene and Pageau for the visitors; Kesler and Petrovic for the home team). But Riley Nash book-ended those goals with solo tallies in the 1st and 3rd to provide the margin of victory.

We pause for a really quick look at the draft. It's way too early to draw any real conclusions, except our scout has determined Russian RW Viktor Kovalev is shaping up as a Franchise talent.

Also, while we're screwing around in the draft, Philadelphia came in with a trade offer: they're looking to acquire D Dylan DeMelo for a 2020 4th and 2020 5th. On one hand, DeMelo is sitting in the minors, so he's expendable overall. Still, I'm feeling like it's both a little early to be making deals (hot start aside, should I be a buyer or a seller?), and I’d probably want more return than that anyway.

10/19 vs Nashville – 3-2 L (SO)
It took extra time and a shootout (and backup Jaroslav Halak between the pipes – Grubauer is still unbeaten), but the Firebirds are finally handed their first loss. Ryan Johansen scored the game winner, with Pekka Rinne stoning Jesper Fast to make it stand up. In regulation, Nick Bonino and the apparently ageless Jarome Iginla scored for Nashville; Riley Nash and Kesler continued their hot streaks for the Birds.

10/20 at Washington – 7-5 W
It’s a barn-burner in the nation’s capital! Ovechkin scored the game’s first goal, but then Atlanta rattled off four straight (Li’l Nacho, Hagelin, Letestu, and Sbruev) to take the lead they would hold the rest of the way. Kesler, Hagelin’s 2nd, and Cogliano round out the goal scoring. Copley and Halak were the merciless shelling victims, with Holtby and Grubauer appearing in relief.

10/22 vs Toronto – 6-1 L
THERE’S the first “real” loss, and it’s an emphatic one. Even with Grubauer back in net, Toronto jumps out to a 2-0 lead in the 1st and pulls away with three more in the 3rd. Five different Leafs get on the board; Craig Smith scored the lone goal for the Firebirds.

10/24 vs Chicago – 5-2 W
Atlanta breaks a 1-1 tie open in the 2nd period with three unanswered goals, and then hang on in the 3rd. Kesler, Christian Djoos, and Sbruev lead the charge in the 2nd, with Craig Smith creating the initial deadlock and Kesler’s second goal providing the exclamation point.

Between games, Chicago offers the same basic deal Philly did – DeMelo for their 2020 4th and 5th. Still no thanks, for the same reasons.

10/27 vs Minnesota – 3-0 W
Kesler in the 1st, Kesler in the 2nd, Jesper Fast in the 3rd, and Grubauer turns away 30 Wild shots for an easy win.

10/30 vs Anaheim – 3-2 L (OT)
A back-and-forth game but Hampus Lindholm sinks the Firebirds at the 2:07 mark of overtime. Nic Kerdiles and Rickard Rakell tally for the Ducks; Djoos and David Perron for the Firebirds.

MONTHLY SUMMARY

STANDINGS REPORT
MONTH: 6-1-2
YEAR-TO-DATE: 6-1-2, 14 points
DIVISION: Tied for 1st (with Toronto), 14 points
CONFERENCE: Tied for 1st (with Toronto), 14 points

TEAM LEADERS
GOALS: Kesler 8, Riley Nash 4, Hagelin 3, Smith 3, Sbruev 3
ASSISTS: Petrovic 6, Perron 6, Riley Nash 5, Sbruev 5, Fast 4, Kesler 4, Smith 4
POINTS: Kesler 12, Riley Nash 9, Sbruev 8, Perron 7, Petrovic 7, Smith 7
PLUS-MINUS: Riley Nash 6, Murphy 5, Larsson 4, Petrovic 4, Smith 4

ON THE FARM
The Birmingham Bandits put up a 5-4 October, with Linus Ullmark sitting for most of the month. Filling in for Ullmark, Nik Rubin went 3-3 with a .893 save percentage and a 2.88 goals against. (Non-contract roster filler Lukas Hafner also got two starts -- for some reason, our rookie Quincey never saw the ice). Jordan Martinook leads the team in both goals (5) and points (9); other top point-getters include RW Beau Bennett (7), Byron Froese (6), Matt Gilroy (non-contract filler, 6), and Nail Yakupov (6 points, all assists)

(Ed: I'll do "Around the League" as a separate post; I'm still playing around with formatting on it.)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 AM   #13
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

Really enjoying this! Articles and insights are extremely well written, and every move you make seems to have a real purpose! Great stuff so far.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
Really enjoying this! Articles and insights are extremely well written, and every move you make seems to have a real purpose! Great stuff so far.
Thanks! I don't know that every move has a purpose, but I at least try to keep things somewhat sensible and call myself out when I'm doing something just because I like a guy in real life or something.

You'll note that I have a fondness that sometimes intrudes for Pens, ex-Pens, guys who killed the Pens memorably in the playoffs (see also: Grabner, Michael), and have a general fetish for speed -- can't go wrong having the fastest guys on the ice at any given time.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

October 2018: Around The League

The season begins to take shape. Washington and Vegas come out of the gates suffering Cup hangovers, joining Ottawa, Minnesota, and Philly at the bottom of the standings. Toronto, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Los Angeles stake early claims to division leads, but it's early yet. The upstart expansion team, the Atlanta Firebirds are doing surprisingly well, tied for 1st-place in the Atlantic with Toronto.

STANDINGS

LEAGUE LEADERS

For goalie rate stats, I chose a minimum threshold of 180 shots as (20 X GP), since I didn't see an "official" criteria like baseball does for batting average and ERA. I've since found that hockey-reference.com uses .3125 of team's games played, so I'll switch to that for future leaderboards.

CALDER WATCH

I forgot to look, but I don't think there are any notable rookie goaltenders to keep track of. As a presentation thing, I might also add draft position for the rookies -- be cool to see if some 3rd-rounder is lapping the field.

MAJOR INJURIES
Mostly small stuff, but a couple of high-profile goalies on the shelf -- Montreal's Carey Price and Washington's Braden Holtby are both out until close to the new year. And Vegas' Marc-Andre Fleury just went down and is being evaluated. Stamkos (TB) and Giroux (PHI) are both out, but on short-duration injuries, and are due back soon.

(oops... these didn't sync to Box, so I'll have to get full details when I'm on my other computer)

Last edited by PFellah; 12-06-2018 at 12:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »