Home

Purple Rising: The Story of the Newfoundland Ice Caps

This is a discussion on Purple Rising: The Story of the Newfoundland Ice Caps within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Purple Rising: The Story of the Newfoundland Ice Caps

An apology: I had originally started a franchise called "Fear the Dear" a few months ago. Sadly, my hard drive experienced a failure and my save data died. I got really mad I lost all of that, and couldn't bring myself to start a new dynasty. Finally, I got bored and started a new one So for all of that, I'm sorry I couldn't continue the last dynasty, but I think this one will be even better from a presentation and uniform standpoint. I learned some from the last one, and feel this one will be superior. This is an evolution of that one, with slightly different presentation. Hope you enjoy!

The Team
City: St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada)
Team name: Ice Caps.

I wanted to keep up with the smaller market from a colder region. I decided on Newfoundland and the logos (seen below). I went with the name Ice Caps because St. Johns originally had an AHL franchise with the same name (though, it was spelled IceCaps).

Colors:
Glacial Purple - due to the general cold temperature perceived of Canada, I wanted a "cold" color scheme. The purple is a unique color scheme in the NHL, with the complete lack of the color as either a primary or tertiary color currently. It's a more washed old "chilly" purple
Ice Blue - a color I used during my Wisconsin Alpines Dynasty. It looks shockingly good with the purple
Fern Green - a washed out green to invoke the foliage
Ivory White - the primary logo is that of a Walrus. I wanted to use a an off white that invoked their tusks, a cold-climate animal.

Uniforms

Home

The home uniforms are primarily the "Glacial Purple". The uniforms are meant to invoke a chilly and cold feel. The "Ice Blue" is the primary secondary color, with small hints of the green which is a lightly used tertiary color, used only as an added outline to numbers and small hints on the uniform. The area uses purple smoke for their entrance and goals, and with purple LED stanchions and stadium seating, the team absolutely owns the purple.

Away

The primary white is the "Ivory" off white to give a "vintage" feel to the uniforms. They continue the "cold" color scheme and are very similar to the home uniforms. "Fern" is used a bit more here, as it is the hem between the "Glacial Purple" yoke and the "Ivory White" jersey. These turned out great, though I've always more enjoyed a color uniform than the whites, so they're probably my least favorite.

Alternate

These uniforms are generally an updated idea on my Wisconsin Alpines concepts. Paul Lukas and Uni-Watch would absolutely classify it as BFBS (black for black sake), but I think with the color scheme, absolutely pops the brighter colors while retaining the "chilly" feel of the team's feel.
These are called "Northern Lights" by the Adidas corporate speak. They're a fan favorite, despite the BFBS status.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-18-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Purple Rising: The Story of the Newfoundland Ice Caps

The team & the world

History: The year is 2023, and the Newfoundland Ice Caps have been a bottom feeding team throughout their history, earning bottom 5-finishes in the NHL every year until last season. This has helped garner them top picks in the draft, which has built the team up. Last year, in the 2022-2023 season, the Ice Caps made the playoffs as a Wild Card team in the West (I meant to change the team to the East at the start, but forgot, so we'll just go with it). They lost to the Dallas Stars in 7, squandering a 3-1 lead.

The stars of the Caps:
Ali Martinuk, D: The defensemen is the unquestioned captain and all around best player on the roster, even as the Caps played poor hockey. He was the first draft pick the franchise ever made and has been a 50+ defensemen for a handful of years now.

Gregory Cassivi, RW: The only 1st Pick on the roster, Cassivi was a late riser in the draft coming out of Bosnia and the ExtraLiga. Cassivi has already established himself as the best offensive player on the Caps, scoring 49 goals in his first full season in 2022-2023.

Peyton Krebs, LW: Another draft pick from the 2019 First Year Player draft, acquired when the Ice Caps dealt Adam Larsson and a 2nd round pick to acquire the 12th pick in the draft, Krebs is the best assist man on the roster, being a PPG player for the last two seasons

Jakub Lisin, LW: 2023 will mark the first full season for Lisin as an Ice Cap, as he played 1/2 of the 2022 season with the team. Lisin was the 5th pick in the draft in 2021, shockingly sliding to the 5th spot. The GM of the Ice Caps was shocked when he fell to the 5th, stating that he was "his favorite player in the draft". He was, by many scouting services a top-3 pick, but San Jose took the defensemen Nick Chow infront of the Caps and Lisin is establishing himself as a top player in the league.

Other notable players: Adam Boquivst (defensemen), Jean LaFlamme (center), Travis Sanheim (defensemen), Alex Tuch (right wing) and Fabian Steeves (center).

Newfoundland Ice Caps Depth Chart - 2023
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LWPeyton KrebsJakub LisinJonathan DahlenHenrik Josefson
CJean LaFlammeIsaac LunderstromFabian SteevesMartin Kaut
RWGregory Cassivi Alex TuchCurtis LazarRadovan Bondra
D #1Ali MartinookPasi PukkaMackenzie Weegar
D #2Alex BoqvistTravis SanheimChristian Djoos
GEric ComrieAndy Laughton

Newfoundland Ice Caps - Team Leaders Stats - 2023
SkatersGPGAPTS+/-GWPIMSOGSPCT
Peyton Krebs72572021513.3
Gregory Cassivi75161021926.3
Ali Martinuk7066000130
Travis Sanheim72352021216.7
Fabian Steeves72352221414.3
Alex Tuch72240101612.5
Isaac Lunderstrom72242021216.7
Jean LaFlamme7224212122.2
Jakub Lisin7134-102195.3

NHL Standings - Updated: Oct 23, 2023
CENTRALWLOTLPTS
Colorado Avelanche4208
Newfoundland Ice Caps4308
Minnesota Wild4308
St. Louis Blues**4308
Dallas Stars3306
Chicago Blackhawks2326
Winnipeg Jets3406

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-22-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Rookie

House rules & sliders

Sliders: Sliders are based off a few that I found on OS, but have been tweaked to keep my game difficult and challenging, without being impossible. They'll be tweaked generally here or there. My current slider set results in fairly varied scores, but tends to suppress shot totals at times. It's a push-pull. I could add time to the games, but I would rather keep games at ~20 minutes. You'll likely notice this in box scores.

Game Rules:
Difficulty: All-Star (CPU scaling 6/6)
Period: 5 minute (4/6 penalty scaling)

House Rules:
A little background on me: I'm 31, turning 32 this summer. I still play in an 18+ baseball league in my city, and while I remain a good player, I'm getting older. The season starts in 90 days. To help get myself in shape, I've imposed a few penalties on myself as I play (I won't be taking video, so you'll have to take my word on things)
Every opposing goal: 15 sit ups on the spot
Every loss: 20 push-ups
3 Game losing streak: Double all penalties for games until I break out of the slump

I figure this is going to give me a good way of playing, having fun, and getting my self into an actual game shape. So just know, when I'm losing...I'm hurting!

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-18-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
Rookie

Hart Stands Strong, Caps Fall in Philly
October 24, 2023
Peyton Krebs scores in the 3rd to make the game 2-1

Newfoundland Ice Caps at Philadelphia Flyers
Oct 24, 2023123F
NEWF (4-3-0)0011
PHI (4-3-0)2013
Three Stars
C. Hart
1 GAA, 33 Saves
K. Ninimaa
1 Goal
T. Koneceny
1 Goal
Team Stats Comparison
NEWFPHI
Shots on Goal3420
Hits158
Faceoffs Won-Lost1215
Penalty Minutes46
Power Plays Converted10
Power Play Opportunities32
Time on Attack7:287:48
Scoring Summary
FIRST PERIOD
PHIRadulov (2) (Clifford)
PHINinimaa (3) (Unassisted)
THIRD PERIOD
NEWFKrebs (2) (Martinuk)
PHIT. Koneceny (3) (Unassisted)

Workout Counter: 45 Situps, 20 Pushups
Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

This looks great! can't wait for this to get off the ground.

You have way more energy than I do... I'm pushing 40 in March & my penalty system would look like this:

lose a game - Chug a beer
lose a season - chug a beer
get half way through a period - chug a beer

come to think of it, that's how I reward myself too... anyway you get the point

Best of luck, go Ice Caps!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBattleCat
This looks great! can't wait for this to get off the ground.

You have way more energy than I do... I'm pushing 40 in March & my penalty system would look like this:

lose a game - Chug a beer
lose a season - chug a beer
get half way through a period - chug a beer

come to think of it, that's how I reward myself too... anyway you get the point

Best of luck, go Ice Caps!
Haha, that's the way I've been acting since we got wiped from the playoffs last fall. It's time I act like someone who has a torn shoulder, and a bad knee and get back into shape. I can't count on my metabolism anymore!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #7
Rookie

Ice Caps Unable To Take Advantage of Undisciplined Sens, Drop Game in OT
October 28, 2023
Peyton Krebs scores twice in 30 seconds on the 5 on 3 PP in the first

Newfoundland Ice Caps at Ottawa Senators
Oct 28, 2023123F
NEWF (4-3-0)2103
OTT (3-3-0)0124
Three Stars
C. White
3 Goals
F. Gustavson
49 Saves
P. Krebs
2 Goals
Team Stats Comparison
NEWFOTT
Shots on Goal5222
Hits1819
Faceoffs Won-Lost2717
Penalty Minutes420
Power Plays Converted21
Power Play Opportunities102
Time on Attack10:424:50
Scoring Summary
FIRST PERIOD
NEWFKrebs (3) (LaFlamme)
NEWFKrebs (4) (Cassavi, LaFlamme)
SECOND PERIOD
OTTWhite (4) (Stone, Forsberg)
NEWFLisin (2) (Sanheim)
THIRD PERIOD
OTTWhite (5) (Krug)
OTTWhite (6) (Sadikov, Semin)
SHOOTOUT
OTTKarlsson, Forsberg

Punishment Counter: 45 situps, 20 pushups

User note: Cannot believe I lost this one. I have never seen the CPU take 10 penalties in a game, and I wasted the last 8. This was insane. I deserved all of my punishments.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-18-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Rookie

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »