Home

Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules"

This is a discussion on Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules" within the Madden NFL Football Online forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #9
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules"

We allow switching but I fully get why some leagues don't. It's a sliding scale between user decision making and player ratings. There's no correct spot on that scale that makes the game more or less realistic, there are merely different points on that scale that people prefer. Switching makes the game no more or less alike the NFL (thus no more or less realistic), but it serves its purpose in the real world slider of ratings vs user impact.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstandard
I disagree with most simple leagues wanting ratings to dictate wins and losses rather than user skill at the game. By that reasoning it would seem users would be just as content playing NFL head coach 17 and just calling the plays and letting a simulation dictate the outcome. But even so, I don't see how that applies to modern user catching. In the past, sure. It took a number of precise analog stick movements and great timing and hours in " the lab" to perfect these catches that allowed skill to solely dictate gameplan over ratings. I get wanting to prevent that. But in madden 17 we're talking about merely holding down a corresponding button. No timing, no "stick skills". Just holding a button and letting the ratings play out.
You need to meet our mindset halfway.

Do we want user input to matter? Yes we do
Do we want ratings/attributes to matter? Yes we do

I disagree with the premise that user catching doesn't involve stick skills. It may not be the same as the rocket catching in the past but you can still use the LS to move/manipulate the route to get your WR in better position for the catch. The idea is to have the mix of user skill/ratings + leveling the playing field for guys who don't have the best stick skills.

The bolded question is like me asking you "If you want more control why don't you go outside and pick up a football?"

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstandard
I think you're missing the point of the post. I'm not petitioning anybody to let me in a league. I'm actively doing exactly what you've suggested and finding leagues that allow switching. And once again in regards to playing the ball in the air, I fail to see how it is anything different than holding a button. Maybe there was some tactic that developed last year that I'm unaware of but it seemed apparent that all people were doing was hitting the aggressive catch, possession catch, or RAC catch depending on the situation. If there's something I'm missing there, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I never thought about that speed linebacker concept. I can see that. I do think that it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that only really helps in pursuit, but it's certainly a valid point.

Pursuit is what it helps. Play a couple games with no switch and you'll see the difference. If you have a below average LBer on the outside, and the guy throws into the flats, you'll see he has no chance to make the tackle, where someone like Wagner will make a quick stop. If you are allowed to switch, even if the LBer is terrible, you can have a very fast LBer get to the ball carrier much faster, which will mask all his other flaws, like low awareness and low pursuit. Same with a CB with low coverage or awareness, you can switch to the defender on the pass, jumping In front of the wr. Where in no switch, if the guy has bad traits, he will remain of of position to make the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
Rookie

El Generico's Arena

I'll say this: I have been in both types of leagues and for the most part the leagues that are no-switch tend to have users of a lower skill level in them.

I'll probably get flack for that statement, but it's an observation of mine from my time in both types of leagues.

No-switch leagues aren't all that bad, unless they are of the "you can only play defensive line on defense" type. That takes a huge amount of skill out of the game.

When you don't allow switching the only place skill difference shows up is play calling and who to throw the football to.

I've been in a league that allows switching for 2+ years and to me, that's the best set up. There are users with an advantage in decision making, and those that are better at usering players to make everyone more competitive.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference, and I'm glad there are multiple types of leagues out there for everyone to enjoy.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #13
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Generico
I'll say this: I have been in both types of leagues and for the most part the leagues that are no-switch tend to have users of a lower skill level in them.

I'll probably get flack for that statement, but it's an observation of mine from my time in both types of leagues.

No-switch leagues aren't all that bad, unless they are of the "you can only play defensive line on defense" type. That takes a huge amount of skill out of the game.

When you don't allow switching the only place skill difference shows up is play calling and who to throw the football to.

I've been in a league that allows switching for 2+ years and to me, that's the best set up. There are users with an advantage in decision making, and those that are better at usering players to make everyone more competitive.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference, and I'm glad there are multiple types of leagues out there for everyone to enjoy.

I disagree. There is a huge difference between guys who can user players well and guys who can't. The guys who can user the MLB extremely well, have a significant advantage over Guys who can't. They can single handedly take away the middle of the field. The best guys in our league at usering one player, usually end up leading the league in interceptions, and have the best records heading into the playoffs. I'd argue that switching actually makes it easier for guys with no stick skills, since if they take a bad angle on a tackle, they can just switch to the next closest guy, giving them another chance a making the stop.

I actually haven't seen a league that only allows DL usage. In fact, most leagues I've been in, won't allow DL usage. I'm sure there are some out there doing what you are saying, but I don't think that's the majority of sim leagues.

Last edited by Cajungodfather; 08-04-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Rookie

I think a lot of where the rule comes from is that there are some guys that will take a 60 OVR LB that has 90 spd but the rest of his Attributes are terrible. The user will take this player and Hold Y the whole time covering a lot more field than he should be able to cover. His awareness and PRC are most likely very low and should have blown coverages.

The No Click and Pick rule is pretty much all user skill and again takes away the actual players ratings.

Our league isn't a no switch league, but Ive played in them. Really its a way to balance the talent level in the league from what Ive seen. Im not a great user by any means but there are some that aren't good at all.

Ive played in leagues with some outstanding users and then was in a league with them in a no switch league, they didn't perform as well in the no switch league.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungodfather
I disagree. There is a huge difference between guys who can user players well and guys who can't. The guys who can user the MLB extremely well, have a significant advantage over Guys who can't. They can single handedly take away the middle of the field. The best guys in our league at usering one player, usually end up leading the league in interceptions, and have the best records heading into the playoffs. I'd argue that switching actually makes it easier for guys with no stick skills, since if they take a bad angle on a tackle, they can just switch to the next closest guy, giving them another chance a making the stop.

I actually haven't seen a league that only allows DL usage. In fact, most leagues I've been in, won't allow DL usage. I'm sure there are some out there doing what you are saying, but I don't think that's the majority of sim leagues.

Are the guys who user and mlb very well playing deep like a safety with a lb? Are these guys you're referring to in a "sim" league (asking for clarity)

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
Are the guys who user and mlb very well playing deep like a safety with a lb? Are these guys you're referring to in a "sim" league (asking for clarity)

No, they are playing between the LOS and maybe 10 yards out. Just a middle zone really. But they can cover just outside the hashes to the center of the field. They can take your tight end out of the game, along with any slants.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online »