Home

CPU vs. GPU Usage

This is a discussion on CPU vs. GPU Usage within the Madden NFL Football PC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #1
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
CPU vs. GPU Usage

Just curious what you guys are seeing. Mine appears to be fluctuating bit, but ultimately I'd say that I'm relatively close to 50% CPU 50% GPU.

There are obvious fluctuations, and my GPU goes up to over 70% in what look like high demand on screen situations.

From what I was reading, if your GPU isn't being utilized over 80% or more specifically in the 90% range, that that might indicate a CPU bottleneck.

I feel like my game plays really well, pretty sure most of my stutters have been eliminated, and the game plays smooth and looks beautiful. Just always on the hunt for "better" if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, for you guys that monitor this type of thing, just curious what you are seeing numbers wise between your CPU/GPU usage percentages when playing M24.

I'm not sure if Madden is considered high demand as far as processing is concerned.

Thanks.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.

Last edited by BadAssHskr; 08-21-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: CPU vs. GPU Usage

What's your GPU and CPU? Typically, the more your GPU is being utilized the better. I have a 5950X CPU and no game will use all the cores. So my CPU utilization is usually in the 30 percent range.

I'm waiting on Intels next line of CPU's to upgrade. Madden runs very well on my system after doing some house cleaning. I had some out of date chipset drivers and did a bios update, just to make sure everything was in order.

For some reason RTSS doesn't work with madden 24, so I can't monitor my hardware. I don't use Nvidia's GeForce Experience. I see so many people complaining about Madden's performance (including myself) but you have to make sure your system is up to date and on point.

3 national championships 3 Heisman Trophy winners 16 ACC Championships 14 straight AP top fives

2014 BCS National Champions
Old 08-22-2023, 10:50 AM   #3
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

I'm running an i7-8700k, with a evga 2080 ti ft23.

Like I said, my system is running fine with M24, but was wanting to see where I could push the graphics.

Was going to upgrade my GPU to a 4090, but after doing some research, it looks like that was going to be to much card for my i7.

I was looking at a bottleneck calculator, and with a 4090 and my i7, it was looking like there was a 37% chance of CPU bottleneck.

I then calculated my current system, and according to them my i7 was to powerful for the 2080, and saying 15% chance of GPU bottle neck.

Anyhow, looks like a 3080 should put my system in the sweet spot, so I'm going to purchase one today.

Anyhow, not to bore you with all those details, I was just curious if people are really seeing up to 90%+ GPU usage with the game.

Thanks man.

Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:53 PM   #4
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Along this same topic: What tool are you using to monitor CPU and GPU usage?

Check out these completely different usage reports of task manager vs geforce overlay:

Task manager:
CPU: 82%
GPU: 9%

Nvidia overlay:
CPU: 36%
GPU: 22%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nvidia.jpg (98.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: png task manager.png (121.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-23-2023, 03:55 PM   #5
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
... I was just curious if people are really seeing up to 90%+ GPU usage with the game.

If I put the game in 4K 120 FPS (Ultra setting, except crowd quality=low and advanced hair=off), my GPU gets up in the 90% usage, yes.

Screenshots above are running the game on a 1080p monitor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2023, 08:57 PM   #6
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

I was using GeForce Experience.

That is quite the discrepancy between task manager and Nvidia.

What do you mean, put the game in 4K, is that a specific setting in the game?

Installed a new GPU today, with GeForce Experience, it's no longer showing me FPS.

Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
I was using GeForce Experience.

That is quite the discrepancy between task manager and Nvidia.

What do you mean, put the game in 4K, is that a specific setting in the game?

Installed a new GPU today, with GeForce Experience, it's no longer showing me FPS.
After reading my post on this matter, I may have come off has saying you weren't doing something right. That wasn't my intention and sorry if it came off that way.

I remember when going from a 2080ti to 3090 then to 4090, I made sure to use DDU to clean install my GPU drivers. I had issues just from going to the 2080ti to 3090. If you're not familiar with this tool, it's almost a must when switching graphic cards.

3 national championships 3 Heisman Trophy winners 16 ACC Championships 14 straight AP top fives

2014 BCS National Champions
Old 08-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #8
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan4423
After reading my post on this matter, I may have come off has saying you weren't doing something right. That wasn't my intention and sorry if it came off that way.

I remember when going from a 2080ti to 3090 then to 4090, I made sure to use DDU to clean install my GPU drivers. I had issues just from going to the 2080ti to 3090. If you're not familiar with this tool, it's almost a must when switching graphic cards.
All good man, I didn't take it that way at all.

I built my PC back when Madden came out originally, or when it re-came back to PC I should say.

The past couple years I've played madden on my XSX, so I'm just trying to get my bearings back together with all the PC nuances.

I'm just genuinely curious how other pc users PC's are handling the game.

I did actually use DDU when I put my new card in.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how the game played and looked last night. I play single person CFM, come to find out there was a patch this morning, I'm sure it was live server side last night. Probably why the game seemed so much more polished, LOL.

Online, Solo, CFM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC »