Home

Hex editing number arrays (brief tutorial)

This is a discussion on Hex editing number arrays (brief tutorial) within the Madden NFL Football PC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Hex editing number arrays (brief tutorial)

I posted the following in one of the longer modding threads, but thought some who need this info might miss it there, so...

If you've never done hex editing, I'd suggest looking at a video tutorial first, for the basics.

You'll need Photoshop to edit the numbers, and a hex editor to edit the arrays. I use HxD.

You'll also need the latest version (1.0.4.4) of Frosty.

One shortcut: you don't need to replace each individual texture (number, letter, etc.) in the Frosty Editor, just the array. At least that was true with a number set I tested.

The following steps are for editing a number array, but they work for font slices too:

1. Open a number array file and the edited number files in the hex editor.

2. Copy the first 148 bytes of the array file into a new file.

3. Delete the first 148 bytes of the first number file (zero), then copy what's left of that file into your new file (your cursor should be at the end of your new array file each time you copy data into it).

4. Follow step 3 for each of the remaining number files, in sequence (1, 2, 3, etc.). Be sure to delete the header info (first 148 bytes) of each number file before copying it into your new array.

5. Once you've pasted the last number file contents, save your new array as a .dds file.

6. Compare the length of your new file with the original array file; they should be identical.

7. Import your new array file with the Frosty Editor. Check each number to be sure your changes are there.

That's it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Hex editing number arrays (brief tutorial)

So I take the first 148 of each number and place them in one file then save?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Pro

Arrowhead29's Arena

OVR: 7

Hex editing is not necessary to edit/import number arrays.

Just create each of your numbers (0-9) in photoshop as separate files. Then, click the array of the set of numbers you are wanting to replace, click import, and select all of your number files (0-9) at once and import.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead29
Hex editing is not necessary to edit/import number arrays.

Just create each of your numbers (0-9) in photoshop as separate files. Then, click the array of the set of numbers you are wanting to replace, click import, and select all of your number files (0-9) at once and import.
So click the array in the Frosty editor without placing the numbers in each number slot?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Yeah you just need to replace the array. Don’t need to replace each individual number.

As arrowhead said, frosty does this for you, just make sure you import into the array and select all your numbers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
Rookie

When trying to load up my fonts in Frosty I'm seeing this:

"Desktop\Modding\Walker University Uniform Storage Template\Away\DDS\away jersey number 0-1.dds failed to import: Imported texture must match original texture type. Original texture type is TT_2dArray. Imported texture type is TT_2d".

I exported the array file and replaced it with the number 0 that was in line with what was shown in the array. Where am I messing this up?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:42 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

You will have to use PNG
Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
Rookie

I used hex editor to start replacing the broadcast helmet textures and now I'm trying to figure how to replace the broadcast and scorebug logos. Do I just follow the same pattern I did for the helmets?

I know I've seen a lot of info for AMP but I figured this should be the easier route.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC »