Home

Trade explanation please

This is a discussion on Trade explanation please within the Madden NFL Football PC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Rookie

Huskereurocat's Arena

OVR: 0
Trade explanation please

I'm trying to unload an 85M, with 42M of it bonus, contract from my roster. A 5 year contract with 4 years to go. I'm trying to trade for a 29.7M, with 10.5M of it bonus, and I'm being told that I don't have enough cap room for the trade. I'm trading down so I don't understand this. Doesn't the team that you trade with inherit the contract you are trading away and you inherit the contract of the player that your trading for?
BTW, this is not someone that I signed for, it was a very expensive contract that was already on the team when I took it over.

The game is also saying that the cap hit for trading him should be 500k and I have 560k in cap room, so I would think that the trade would go through, but it isn't.

Last edited by Huskereurocat; 09-29-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: More Info
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Trade explanation please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskereurocat
I'm trying to unload an 85M, with 42M of it bonus, contract from my roster. A 5 year contract with 4 years to go. I'm trying to trade for a 29.7M, with 10.5M of it bonus, and I'm being told that I don't have enough cap room for the trade. I'm trading down so I don't understand this. Doesn't the team that you trade with inherit the contract you are trading away and you inherit the contract of the player that your trading for?
BTW, this is not someone that I signed for, it was a very expensive contract that was already on the team when I took it over.

The game is also saying that the cap hit for trading him should be 500k and I have 560k in cap room, so I would think that the trade would go through, but it isn't.
Not enough information yet. The cap hit this season is only part of the deal. It is necessary to know what your cap looks like for next season.

For some reason, Madden lets teams get into cap Hell by year 2. Because of this, you may think you have plenty of cap space, but have a handful of guys slated to make book bucks next season.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Trade explanation please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskereurocat

Well, for starters, your interpretation of the trade isn't quite right. While the teams do inherit the contract the other player has, it's all salary. Any bonus the player was getting, would be paid by the team that's trading that player away, generally over a 2 year deal, where part is paid this season, and part is paid the next season. If you're trading a guy with a 42m bonus 1 year into his contract, chances are you're taking a huge cap penalty by doing so. My guess is, between that cap penalty, the salary of the player you're bringing in, and the cap space you have left on your team, you're ending up in the negative when it's all said and done.

As far as the cap hit of 500k.. I don't see how that's possible. No one with an 85m/42m bonus contract could have a cap hit that low. perhaps some screenshots would help of the salary screens for the players, the trade screen before you submit it, you're current cap situation, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC »