Home

Improving SimStats via Frosty

This is a discussion on Improving SimStats via Frosty within the Madden NFL Football PC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Improving SimStats via Frosty

Been working for the last few weeks on improving the sim stats and some suggested value changes are listed below.

Once you get under the hood of the SimStat engine via Frosty you realise there is a very sophisticated engine sitting there. It's just a shame that EA did not make much effort to put in the right values.

I hope this provokes some discussion and the swapping of ideas. Even if you don't like my suggestions at the very least I hope that by giving you the suggested values that you can change that will help others build their own SimStat set.

Its still not perfect by any means. I will look at a second set once I get feedback on these.

To guide me I used the last three years of real life NFL stats from
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/

First of all a big shout out to SABO and his Revival Mod. Everything I have done is based on his mod. If you are using a PC to play Madden then you really need to be using his gameplay mod to improve your Madden experience.

It was also SABO's work that inspired me to start tinkering in the first place.
So thank you SABO for all your work.

If you use my suggestions make sure you use SABO's mod as well. Otherwise I can't promise any success. Also SABO's mod fixes the number of Field Goal Attempts per season.

OK here we go:

Number of plays per game

Madden gets this wrong by about 4 plays a game per team. This is significant over a season.

1.Under Supersim_Play_Time I changed Spotball Max to 24 and Spotball Min to 14.

Although this gets plays to the right level there is a problem in that the Sim Stat engine is calling more runs then the RL NFL average (2 a game approx.). This is the 2019 NFL not the 1989 NFL where run/pass was more balanced. I will see if I can change that via Franchise Editor but I have not had a chance to play with that yet. So for now you will see more rushes than is realistic.

NB All values below are changed under Supersim_Compound_Ability unless otherwise stated

Running

There are two basic problems with the default SimStat engine. Firstly it exaggerates the YPC of the elite RB's - especially Bell, Elliott and Gurley. Even elite backs in the real life NFL do not consistently break the 5.0 barrier. However the other problem is that the non elite RB's get too low YPC. Squaring that circle proved hard. I had to nerf the elites without damaging too much the average RB's. I think my suggestions make it better - but you may well still see one or more of the elite backs have a freak season. There is some wide ranging "dice rolls" which I can't control. TD's are still a little too high in my view despite my changes. And some lower rated RB's may struggle to get over 3.0 yards per carry over the season.

1.Supersim_Breaktdrun_rb_chance: max_P1 to 60 and min_P1 to 10 (reduces TD's)
2.Supersim_MaxAdditionalYardage: max_P1 to 1.6. Also change P1 Overall Rating to 0.(reduces YPC - more at the elite backs)
3.Supersim_MaxInitialYardage: Max_P1 to 50 and Min_P1 to 44. Max_P2 to 47 and keep Min_P2 at 34 (more tuning of the YPC)
4.Supersim_Run_MaxRunAfter_Yardage: Max_P1 to 18 and Min_P1 to 12. This helps boost the longest runs of the lower rated RB's.

Under Supersim_Fatigue - change RB to 3.1 - this reduces the number of backs with over 200 attempts. I may change this later once I have a better feel for supersim injuries.

Passing

Another difficult one to fix. The default stat engine gets a lot wrong. Ints and sacks are too low, completion % is too high, TD's too high and YPA too high. This means QBR is also too high. However there were also issues with longest pass being too low for a number of QB's by the end of the season. Pass TD's are still a bit too high now, but everything else I think looks much better thanks to these changes.

1.Supersim_Breaktdrun_WR_Chance: Max_P1 to -98 and Min_P1 to -99. Change Max_P2 to 99 and Min_P2 to 98. (Reduces TD's)
2.Supersim_Minrunaftercatch_yardage: Max_P2 to 40 and Min_P2 to 20
(brings down YPA)
3.Supersim_MaxRunAfterCatch_Yardage: Max_P1 to 99 and Min_P1 to 40. (increases longest pass)
4.Supersim_Pass_ReceiverOpen_Mancover_Chance: Max_P2 to 16 and Min_P2 to 11. (decreases Completion % and increases Ints).
5.Supersim_Pass_ReceiverOpen_Zonecover_Chance: Max_P2 to 16 and Min_P2 to 11. (decreases Completion % and increases Ints).
6.Supersim_Pass_Intercepted_Chance: Max_P1 to 67 (the changes above actually increased Ints too much)
7.Supersim_Pass_Scramble_Chance: Max_P1 to 40, NB this reduces QB scrambles and increases pass attempts a bit. However you are less likely to see Cam, Lamar, Mitch etc run over a 100 times a season so some may not like this change.
8.Supersim_Breaktackle_QB_Chance: Max P1 to 90.(increases QB Yards per run average.
9.Supersim_Avoidsack_Chance: Max_P2 to 60.(increases sacks).

Punts

Easy to fix apart from the total number of punts per team, which is still a bit low. That's not something I can easily fix.

1.Supersim_Punt_Minpunt_yardage: Max_P1 to 38 and Min_P1 to 28. Reduces punt average.
2.Supersim_Punt_Block_Chance: Max_P1 to 1.5
3.Supersim_Faircatch_Chance: Max_P1 to 6. Reduce number of fair catches and increases number of punt returns
4.Supersim_Breaktackle_PR_Chance: Max_P1 to 19. Increases PR averages and number of PR TD's

Kickoffs

1.Supersim_Kickoff_Maxkick_Yardage: Max_P1 to 83 and Min_P1 to 78. This increases the number of touchbacks and reduces number of kickoff returns
2.Supersim_Kickoff_MaxInitialReturn: Max_P1 to 26 and Min_P1 to 16. This reduces kickoff return average.
3.Supersim_Breaktdrun_KR_Chance: Max_P1 to 35. Increases KR TD's.

Extra Points

1.Supersim_PAT_MakeChance: Max_P1 to 96 and Min_P1 to 93. Reduces PAT accuracy.

Field Goals

My playtime changes + SABO's mod fixes the number of field goal attempts. Field goal accuracy is already correct. Just need to reduce FG blocks.

1.Supersim_Fieldgoal_block_chance: Max_P1 to 4.5

Fumbles

The number of fumbles per season needs to be nearly doubled. However the SimStat engine does not seem to try and calculate fumbles on QB sacks and special team returns. Which means that all the fumbles fall on the RB's and a few WR's. In RL NFL it's the QB's and returners that tend to fumble the ball. So if you want to see realistic FF and FR numbers for the defenders then use my change, but don't be surprised if the stats show the RB's as the lead fumblers. Your choice...

1.Supersim_Fumble_Forcefumble_chance: Max_P1 to 7.0

Conclusion

I still would like to fine tune this so feedback is encouraged. All testing was done using SABO's 1.2 Revival mod and with injuries off to encourage consistency. The week 3 NFL roster was used. Obviously my simstat suggestions may need to be adjusted if player ratings start to change over the course of a long term career franchise....

One thing I can't control is the rate at which the elite teams win - I think the simstat engine is a little too inclined to allow "On any given Sunday". I would like to see the elite teams win more each week. Might try and work on this later!

Thanks

Steve

Edit 7/10/19 - The folks over at Discord spotted some typos - so a couple of values have now been amended. Thanks

Last edited by British Bronco; 10-07-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Improving SimStats via Frosty

Love it. Great job man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

OVR: 0

Exactly what I was looking for. INTs and TDs have been a little too low and usually only see 2 or 3 RBs getting 100 yard games a week. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
Exactly what I was looking for. INTs and TDs have been a little too low and usually only see 2 or 3 RBs getting 100 yard games a week. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Huge breakthrough here with the work he's put in

We're doing more tinkering in the discord to narrow this thing once and for all
Old 10-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

"Under Supersim_Play_Time I changed Spotball Max to 24 and Spotball Min to 14."

so if this reduces the number of plays by 4. how much would you reduce this to get the number of plays down to 30. combined number of plays for both teams

I want to get the simmed stats to replicate 1 quarter of game play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril

so if this reduces the number of plays by 4. how much would you reduce this to get the number of plays down to 30. combined number of plays for both teams

I want to get the simmed stats to replicate 1 quarter of game play.
Just to be clear those changes increase the number of plays. Out of the box Madden has about 58 plays per game per team. We need to get that to about 62.

Bunch of us over at Discord are in the process of revisting all my values to get the most accurate simstats possible so once that is finalized we can try and figure out what would work for your requirements.

I have to warn you though that these values are designed to work over the course of a season and they may not be suitable for single quarter sims.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
Rookie

Ar4bAce's Arena

OVR: 0

Do you know what the quarter and clock times should be for user played games to match up with the amount of simmed plays?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bronco
Just to be clear those changes increase the number of plays. Out of the box Madden has about 58 plays per game per team. We need to get that to about 62.

Bunch of us over at Discord are in the process of revisting all my values to get the most accurate simstats possible so once that is finalized we can try and figure out what would work for your requirements.

I have to warn you though that these values are designed to work over the course of a season and they may not be suitable for single quarter sims.

what were the original values?

im guessing this variable/value is the maximum number and minimum number of plays per quarter. for bot teams
so in 4 quarters the number of plays will be 152 at most.

now what would be the next variable/value for the number of games.
Im guessing that would give you the #of plays over the course of a season.

Im just guessing this is how thsi would work, and that's based on my limited coding experience.

please let me know if Im off, cause I want to start messing around with the mod as well.

edit: I lowered the numbers and most teams were averaging 50+ points. so this probably means I would have to raise it to get less plays.

Last edited by tril; 10-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC »