Home

So what was the point reason that PC didn’t get the Next Gen version?

This is a discussion on So what was the point reason that PC didn’t get the Next Gen version? within the Madden NFL Football PC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
So what was the point reason that PC didn’t get the Next Gen version?

(Oops, title got autocorrected and added a pointless “point” to my title)

This is kind of insane, given that top end PCs are more powerful than the next gen consoles.

My reflex is to think conspiracy, but it could also be time and/or laziness.

Still, how hard is a port? I’m not saying it wouldn’t take work, but come on...
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: So what was the point reason that PC didn’t get the Next Gen version?

I would suspect it is just a simple cost/benefit analysis. The PC version probably sells far fewer copies than they would expect from next gen consoles (this is just a guess on my part, of course).
Old 12-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Pro

sinthros's Arena

Same think happened with NBA 2k14 back when we moved from PS3 to PS4. 2k14 on PC was still the last gen version till the next year. Just how it goes.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Pro

boxers's Arena

I would think that it is a simple cost benefit analysis and creating some (albeit minor) incentive to buy the next gen systems. As someone said, it was the same for last gen.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

In the past with Fifa, EA said they kept the PC versions as the older version to allow more people the ability to play it. However, Fifa is a more global game and when you think of all of the countries that it sells well in that aren't as well off as the US, it makes sense.

PC gaming in the US is a different animal in terms of average PC specs, so I don't imagine Madden can use the same excuse.

My best guess is they wanted the next gen consoles to have an exclusive version for different reasons. Maybe at the request of Microsoft and Sony, maybe to drive up demand for Madden on the consoles, who knows.

I also doubt EA was willing to release a patch for the PC version that updated it to the next gen version. It is likely not that simple like it is on consoles since you make it one version for all. On PCs you have to optimize for different PC configs and they'd have to work with the different quality settings PC games offer and whatnot.

I would assume 22 will be the next gen version on PC, but given EAs track record, I won't exactly be surprised if it isn't. I'll be very disappointed, but it won't be a big surprise.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
In the past with Fifa, EA said they kept the PC versions as the older version to allow more people the ability to play it. However, Fifa is a more global game and when you think of all of the countries that it sells well in that aren't as well off as the US, it makes sense.

PC gaming in the US is a different animal in terms of average PC specs, so I don't imagine Madden can use the same excuse.

My best guess is they wanted the next gen consoles to have an exclusive version for different reasons. Maybe at the request of Microsoft and Sony, maybe to drive up demand for Madden on the consoles, who knows.

I also doubt EA was willing to release a patch for the PC version that updated it to the next gen version. It is likely not that simple like it is on consoles since you make it one version for all. On PCs you have to optimize for different PC configs and they'd have to work with the different quality settings PC games offer and whatnot.

I would assume 22 will be the next gen version on PC, but given EAs track record, I won't exactly be surprised if it isn't. I'll be very disappointed, but it won't be a big surprise.
I would hope they release 2 PC versions then, but the fact is, anyone who plays games on PC seriously is going to invest in improving their rig to play the latest games.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Rookie

jay87's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

It's all about having "next gen" exclusively for the new cosole generation to push sales.
The cut-scenes and gameplay changes could have been implemented on the PC without any problems.

Project: 100% NFL Simulation Football

TFG Roster, 2020 Franchise File, XP-Sliders, Itbeme's Revival Playbook Mod Extension & Simulation Gameplay Sliders

The 100% NFL Roster and Itbeme23's Simulation Sliders for Madden20 *BETA*

R.I.P Arthur Morgan
Old 12-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't expect them to upgrade PC next year either. They are porting the game and it's easier to do it from Ps4 since they already have the tools.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC »