Home

CAPACLASSICS for 16

This is a discussion on CAPACLASSICS for 16 within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: CAPACLASSICS for 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8knight1
I appreciate the feedback! I'm going to spend some time playing these teams to get a feel for them and then move on to the next ones. Deciding on which year to do for a team in the set is an ongoing torment. There's no doubt that I would like to see a Butkus Bears and an OJ Bills. Capa and I discussed these last year and listened to user feedback and came up with our current (tentative) list. The Rams are the only team changed so far from last year (1999 I think was last year). One reason the list is the way it is is because of the popularity of certain teams vs others, and trying to have groups of teams from the same era. For example, the 85 Bears have some serious HOFer's and people love that team. We've also spent time with it already and are familar with it in hopes of cranking the 16 roster out a bit faster, considering this archaic way we are forced to do these. In our 15 roster though, we do have the Zorn Seahawks and Barry Sanders Lions. The 90 Bills are in the 15 set also, where I would love to see an OJ team. Again though, it would be a team that isn't all that popular with the masses.

I anticipate doing the 66 Packers, 71 Colts, and 75 Cards next, so I will let everyone know when I'm back up to the controversial choices like the Bears and Bills. What I would ultimately like to happen is me (and CAPA, hint hint) finish the 29 team set (No retro Panthers, Texans, or Jags) and someone else step in with a hybrid of our set that includes say a 62 Giants or 72 Skins, for example. One thing I do know is that I'm keeping teams that are beyond the 80's to an absolute minimum, as those are being done by others (1986 and 1999 for example), and are less of personal interest to me.

Oh how this conversation would be different if EA provided us with simple editing tools and roster transfers from previous versions. Remember those guys that used to do the ENTIRE NCAA sets? Not to mention, you would have many more guys working on these so there would be so many more sets to choose from....
1) EA will never embrace what you do in terms of classic rosters, rating editing. They are a pure ROI operation, same goes for other sports game franchises, frankly.

2) Have you ever done FULL YEAR roster sets, or will you?
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #58
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlatinoheatx
1) EA will never embrace what you do in terms of classic rosters, rating editing. They are a pure ROI operation, same goes for other sports game franchises, frankly.

2) Have you ever done FULL YEAR roster sets, or will you?
I don't have any intention on doing a full year roster at this time. I would definitely consider if the editing environment/tools/transfer from year to year changes with EA.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #59

l8knight1's Arena

1968 Colts up, enjoy.

Finished teams so far:
76 Vikes
76 Raiders
78 Cowboys
79 Rams
78 Steelers
72 Dolphins
69 Chiefs
68 Jets
66 Packers
77 Broncos
68 Colts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12715869_10207016399982794_4967894493343231786_o.jpg (272.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #60
Just started!

OVR: 0

knight, what is your basic process for editing the rosters? is it a lot of position and name changes within the team? do u lean more on releasing and trading guys? do you ever have salary cap issues?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #61

l8knight1's Arena

Hi:

All of the above with the addition of creating players and getting free agents. What I did was wait until EA came out with their post-pre-season roster so that I would have the most available creation slots (room) in the roster possible (preseason roster has way too many players and doesn't leave room for the ones you want to create). Salary caps not a problem. To deal with salary cap, let's say you get/need an expensive free agent. Pick him up, change his position, then release and pick him up again, and he will be of minimal cost. I try to create as few players as possible to ensure that I can create all the big stars I want as accurately as possible. The other major reason for creation is to replace many dreadlocked players that simply didn't exist, let alone in quantity, 30-50 years ago. Also, there is a much larger African American/minority presence in the league today than there used to be, so I end up creating a lot of white players too. It's not a race thing, it's just a fact. There are also goofy white/polynesian guys with the weird hair in today's NFL that need to be released from rosters as they don't look realistic in the classic era either. Glad society and the NFL has gotten diverse, but that was not the case in the old days, unfortunately.

Last edited by l8knight1; 02-16-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #62
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

Well you (and Capa) do a good job with it. I'm older so I really enjoy this roster set and love playing with classic rosters. You have to ignore some of the minor flaws for the obvious reasons you just stated. Lineman and players in general were lighter back then so you have to consider they would have beefed up their weight. An inch in height will not be noticeable. I wish there was a tournament or playoff mode it takes so long to create a 32 team league.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #63
Pro

OVR: 10

How do you do playbooks with these rosters? Is there a site that tells what each team ran in a certain year?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 21

Just to be clear and transparent, all work this year is being done by l8knight. I took the year off.

All credit to him for sticking with this brutal process for yet another year!

C

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »