1987 Roster Madden 18 - Page 8 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

1987 Roster Madden 18

This is a discussion on 1987 Roster Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters

Old 09-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: 1987 Roster Madden 18

Your 1987 roster plays brilliantly. I have also believed that the key to realism on the field in regards to both the look and feel of the players as well as overall stats, is in the editing of player ratings and proper playbooks. Your effort here with this roster really shows that off.

I am seeing great gameplay and animations that I often do not see when using the regular EA roster. Players seem to be more "individual" in your roster(s) than EA default ones. QB play is much improved as well, and better alignment on the short, medium, and long pass accuracy ratings is key here.

Love your work. Wish I still had the patience I did 10-15 years ago to do the same!

C
Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #58
Rookie

Jonotheking9's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
Roster Updated!!!!

NFC West: Redskins, Cowboys, Cardinals, Eagles and Giants now complete!

I also fixed a couple of things on other teams and adjusted the pursuit rating for DL and LBs. This does not really affect their OVR or their in game ability. However, it has a drastic effect on simmed games and number of sacks.

Please check out the new teams and let you know if you see anything wrong.
This continues to look really nice but I think you meant to say NFC East here
NBA: Houston Rockets
NHL: Winnipeg Jets
NCAA Football: Oregon Ducks
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #59
Rookie

Jonotheking9's Arena

OVR: 1

After looking through all the teams you've done so far I found just 2 more spelling mistakes:

Gregg Rokoczy (Center on Browns) should be Rakoczy

Raven Caldwell (LOLB on Redskins) should be Ravin

I'm 99.9% sure they are the only ones as I compared names on pro football reference.
NBA: Houston Rockets
NHL: Winnipeg Jets
NCAA Football: Oregon Ducks
Old 09-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteachernerd1968
Awesome roster idea & can't wait!

Consider recently retired players from 1985 and 1986 for the expansion teams like the Jaguars, Panthers.... Just lower their ratings, make them somewhat entertaining to play with.

1985 - Riggins, Theismann, Lynn Dickey, John Jefferson, Stabler, Earl Campbell, Cliff Branch, Richard Todd...

1986 - Jim Plunkett, Bartkowski, Ferragamo, Wendell Tyler, Mike Pruitt, Tony Hill...

==============

Also, I'm thinking of taking your rosters & expanding them to best teams from 1984 or 1985 to 1989 or 1990. My favorite era of football.

What about doing 1988? That way after 1987, we could "go on" to the need Season. Just a suggestion.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
Well, I will say this to start... I think M18 is overall a better game than M17.

First, the graphics are better, this includes classic uniforms. Most, but not all, of the teams' classic uniforms have been fixed. The lost stripes on long sleeves is mostly gone. That makes me very happy.

I have had limited actual play game time due to roster creation, but I feel like the game plays better as well. QBs move around better than M17, blocking is better in both the run and the pass. Defensively is better as well, though I think there will be additional patches to continue to tighten up zones. Though with my rosters, zones are already a little tighter.

I am a huge fan of the off ball injuries. That alone, if nothing else was changed from M17 would make me play M18. I understand that people want the injuries to be displayed more than just mentioned on screen, but I will take it this year. I have not used them much, but the coach adjustments are a nice added bonus as well.

From the VERY limited amount of testing in Franchise, not much seems different for me. The sim stats are largely the same but I can work with the situation, I think. I will know more once I do more testing.

What I am not happy about:
The removal of generic playbooks to create playbooks from. This makes no sense to me at all. It is not a big deal, but it is frustrating.
More with playbooks... we still cannot assign the CPU a custom playbook in Franchise mode. This is what keeps me away from the mode for my classic rosters. I am forced to use the crappy rosters EA has. While I can assign a playbook to each team, I am unable to really make teams play the right way. I am forced to see formations that were not used in the 1980s. Also, EA did not do a good job of rating the plays in the playbooks. There are some ok workarounds that help, but it is still not perfect. Far from it actually.

Currently, while editing there are some problems. You cannot see passing and kicking motions in editing. They all look the same. This needs patched ASAP! Also, I have had problems in Play Now using custom playbooks with the game crashing. I use two profiles and set up the CPU to use a custom playbook. Far too often the game crashes. I think I have fixed the issue, but I am not 100% sure. The custom playbook must have all of the audibles set. This was NOT an issue in previous years.

QB play, in terms of running QBs is still not what it should be. QBs do scramble, but do not take off enough. When I am playing against Randall Cunningham, I want him to run a lot. He led the Eagles in rushing for multiple years. However, in Madden, though I gave him really good ratings to run, he moves around the pocket and then runs towards he line of scrimmage and throws the ball across is body way too much.

So, again, overall I think M18 is a step in the right direction. I think it is better than M17. Now, I am basing that on a limited amount of game time, so it is possible I could run into additional issues. But, right now I am pretty happy with the game and my ability to make it work for me.

Sorry for the really long message.
Not too long we appreciate your insight. The playbooks in franchise issue is a real killer. If we could have that these would be perfect. I think you've really pushed it to the max in terms of what you can do with the tools EA Sports gives players in terms of customization and editing. You know so much about the game (, and so much about classic NFL and that's so hard to find these days. They are usually mutually exclusive sadly. Many classic roster fans have not joined next gen. I bought my PS4 back mostly to play this roster.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!

Last edited by xlatinoheatx; 09-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotheking9
This continues to look really nice but I think you meant to say NFC East here
Yep, you are right! Sorry about that.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #63
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotheking9
After looking through all the teams you've done so far I found just 2 more spelling mistakes:

Gregg Rokoczy (Center on Browns) should be Rakoczy

Raven Caldwell (LOLB on Redskins) should be Ravin

I'm 99.9% sure they are the only ones as I compared names on pro football reference.
Thank you, I will make those changes for the next update.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlatinoheatx
What about doing 1988? That way after 1987, we could "go on" to the need Season. Just a suggestion.
How about letting Percussion relax and enjoy playing this amazing roster set.

1987 Yankees YR 3
The Matheny Manifesto YR 3
Far Cry 5
The Witcher 3

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »