Home

Question about globally reducing QB's THP

This is a discussion on Question about globally reducing QB's THP within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Question about globally reducing QB's THP

Has anyone experimented with this?

Having gotten deep into my CFM I've played with my fair share of QBs with throwing power in the 80's. AJ McCarron, an aging Garoppolo and more recently a 35-year old Teddy Bridgewater with 82 THP. I even had Braxton Miller as my starting QB for a season and a half, with his THP in the 70's.

I've always went after guys with high THP, shying away from 80-rated vets and ignored scouting QBs with anything under A-, but yet through this CFM I've had much more success with guys under 90 THP.

My question for the roster editors out there is, have any of you globally lowered the QB THP ratings and seen any drastically negative changes to either the game play or stat tracking?

To me, the way the ball comes out of a QB with lower THP seems to be a bit more realistic, especially bullet passes. High THP QBs seem to zip the ball a bit too much, especially down the field. Instead of put the ball up in the air for the WR to run under it they can just zip it down the field. Lower THP QBs have to give it some air time which I feel reflects what you see on Sundays.

I'm interested in lowering the QB THP ratings when I move on to another CFM down the road, making most of the QBs reside in the 80 range, save a few 'elite' arms for the 90's. I've read that editing rookie QB traits helps the game down the road, so along with editing the incoming players' traits I'd also bump down their THP as well.

The only thing that would hold me back is if a lower rating effected how CPU QBs played, or how simulation stats were recorded (I assume it's only OVR related, but unsure).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

Re: Question about globally reducing QB's THP

Did a quick test to see if the lowered THP ratings would change sim engine results. Small sample size, but seems like sim engine isn't effected, especially seeing how Hundley is frequently in the top-7 passers before and after. Yellow denotes the players edited (first two default, second two THP reduced by 8).

Will have to see how the CPU QBs play, if nothing is game breaking it seems like it won't be a big issue if done league wide. After initial roster is done then only have to do a quick edit after each draft class. Not too big of an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickTt.jpg (226.6 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by TMJOHNS18; 11-17-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Did a quick test to see if the lowered THP ratings would change sim engine results. Small sample size, but seems like sim engine isn't effected, especially seeing how Hundley is frequently in the top-7 passers before and after. Yellow denotes the players edited (first two default, second two THP reduced by 8).

Will have to see how the CPU QBs play, if nothing is game breaking it seems like it won't be a big issue if done league wide. After initial roster is done then only have to do a quick edit after each draft class. Not too big of an issue.
I only play classic rosters, with WC Offensive PB's for real sim stats.
My question would be how far can a QB w/ 80-THP throw the football ?
I would give 55-yards.
A 99-THP rating enables a 70-yd pass distance.

what do you feel is better about editing the QB, THP and what scale do you use for: Top - Average - Bottom

thx
Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18

As noted in previous years, Sim Engine is totally separate mechanism that utilizes it’s own metrics/tunables/formulas dealing with AI in the Mode we don’t have access to manipulate/edit since 2012.
-
Old 11-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prilosec
I only play classic rosters, with WC Offensive PB's for real sim stats.
My question would be how far can a QB w/ 80-THP throw the football ?
I would give 55-yards.
A 99-THP rating enables a 70-yd pass distance.

what do you feel is better about editing the QB, THP and what scale do you use for: Top - Average - Bottom

thx
Haven't thought about it too much now, since won't be editing the QBs until I one of the community rosters is updated. But for ease I may just globally lower QBs by the same margin, save a few let in the 90s who are known to have huge arms.

Should also help with the draft classes since many rookies come in with B/B+ THP ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
As noted in previous years, Sim Engine is totally separate mechanism that utilizes it’s own metrics/tunables/formulas dealing with AI in the Mode we don’t have access to manipulate/edit since 2012.
-
Yeah, figured as much. My biggest concern I guess was guys like Hundley who take a larger hit to OVR due to relying more on THP to prop it up. But seems like passing teams are gonna pass and guys are gonna rack up the stats regardless.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »