Home

Madden 19 classic roster plans and thoughts

This is a discussion on Madden 19 classic roster plans and thoughts within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Madden 19 classic roster plans and thoughts

I grabbed Madden16 for $4 at Gamestop the other day. Grabbed your historical files. Been reading lately here how M16 might play more realistic & better than the later iterations. Great work. Any file you put together will be awesom.

As a Steelers fan, I'm hoping that 1995 file mentioned above will be for the PS4! Thanks again!!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

I shouldn't speak on anyones behalf,

But I'd bet the farm that the PC guys will also port their 1986 roster and draft classes over ('87-'96) and most likely the FF-FI Mod rosters 2008-present.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I grabbed Madden16 for $4 at Gamestop the other day. Grabbed your historical files. Been reading lately here how M16 might play more realistic & better than the later iterations. Great work. Any file you put together will be awesom.

As a Steelers fan, I'm hoping that 1995 file mentioned above will be for the PS4! Thanks again!!
Madden 16 is GREAT on the field. All penalties work, QB AI is better, the list goes on. Now, Madden 18, after fully patched is great too, imo. My only issue with M16 is the lack of editing in CFM.

I am hoping that M19 has great on field gameplay and allows all of the necessary editing inside CFM AND in the main menu. With the changes they added to the schemes and archetypes, M19 has the potential to be truly great. BUT... we will have to wait and see. I still have a lot of questions that cannot be answered until the game comes out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #12
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm incredibly biased towards the early 90s as it is when I grew up and fell in love with the game. So yeah, 1991 is right in my wheelhouse.

1985 is interesting as well. BUT, what I do like about 1991 (vs 1985) is that there is a bit more diversity in offenses. Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit all ran the RunNShoot, a few teams were into the West Coast (old school WC), you had teams like Buffalo/Cincy using significant hurry-up models, while others were still heavy into the power run style. I'm no expert on mid 80s, but I think teams were a little more "samey".

As far as draft classes....this is what got me most excited about the feature dropping; the thought of using your rosters with a few years of classes....OMG!! Now, philosophy on the classes....how to do it?

Take the 1992 Class. Remember Steve Emtman? He was a BEAST in college but injuries killed his NFL career before it started. How will you rate him? As a guy with a ton of potential or as a guy who wound up being more of a bust? Do you rate them based on how they were assessed coming out of the draft or based on what they ultimately became? I think there could be some opportunity to enlist a little 'creative license'. Sure, 'Touchdown Tommy' Vardell was a bust....but I'd love a chance to give his career a "do over". There isn't a right or wrong way to do this....just thinking about it

Very happy to hear you're doing another year of rosters!! We're still loving the crap out of the ones you previously did!!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

For me personally, I was just a young kid/casual follower outside of the Cowboys during most of the early/mid 90's. My golden era was late 90s-early 2000s. This is when I really got into Madden gaming and especially when I got into college where we played it religiously. That's why I am so thankful you are putting out these classic rosters. Brings back so many good memories for me, and for that I thank you iteach! I'd love to see a 2003 roster for the fact that Romo would be a rookie. I still remember back in college, when me and a buddy would have a franchise going, I started Romo his rookie year and rode him all the way to a Super Bowl (where I beat my roomate). Would love to relive that!

That's a tough call Josh on the draft classes. I think going with the actual combine results and such is the way to go. Man, I'd love to have a restart for some of those draft picks and see how different you could shape the NFL landscape. Possibilities are limitless!

Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I'm incredibly biased towards the early 90s as it is when I grew up and fell in love with the game. So yeah, 1991 is right in my wheelhouse.

1985 is interesting as well. BUT, what I do like about 1991 (vs 1985) is that there is a bit more diversity in offenses. Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit all ran the RunNShoot, a few teams were into the West Coast (old school WC), you had teams like Buffalo/Cincy using significant hurry-up models, while others were still heavy into the power run style. I'm no expert on mid 80s, but I think teams were a little more "samey".

As far as draft classes....this is what got me most excited about the feature dropping; the thought of using your rosters with a few years of classes....OMG!! Now, philosophy on the classes....how to do it?

Take the 1992 Class. Remember Steve Emtman? He was a BEAST in college but injuries killed his NFL career before it started. How will you rate him? As a guy with a ton of potential or as a guy who wound up being more of a bust? Do you rate them based on how they were assessed coming out of the draft or based on what they ultimately became? I think there could be some opportunity to enlist a little 'creative license'. Sure, 'Touchdown Tommy' Vardell was a bust....but I'd love a chance to give his career a "do over". There isn't a right or wrong way to do this....just thinking about it

Very happy to hear you're doing another year of rosters!! We're still loving the crap out of the ones you previously did!!
The mid 80s is when I started watching and caring about football. The 85 season especially, the Bears were just soooo good defensively. However, in 1986 I became a die-hard Browns fan.

You are right, the early 90s had more variety in offensive systems that is true. The mid-80s had some variance but not as much. You had power run teams like the Browns (Byner and Mack both had 1000 yards!) San Fran and Cincy ran the West Coast. San Diego was Air Coryell and Miami was Dan Marino (lol)

As for draft classes:
I plan on using some creative license but trying to be accurate as well. I want to balance what guys were expected to be and what they turned out to be. So, a guy like Emtman should be rated to be really good, but lower injury numbers to reflect his struggles, but not overboard because he did not have those issues in college. So perhaps, he becomes the superstar he should have been. Truly, when he was on the field he was good, just could not stay on the field.

With draft classes this early there are few actual combine numbers to use to create ratings so I will use my "best judgement" in most cases. The main thing for me is that the ratings match the style of the main roster itself.
I will try to throw in a few surprises here and there too to add some intrigue in the draft class.

Then there are guys like Tommy Maddox, drafted in the 1st round, but could not stick behind John Elway. But then reinvented his career later on.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Those 2 rosters will be great.....also 1982 (Woodstrock Dolphins and The Hogs and The Diesel John Riggins).

1981 was the 49ers first Super Bowl and the legendary 1981 NFC title game. Of course the year of the greatest game I ever saw (and I was there live in person as an 11 year Dolphin fanatic). The infamous double overtime game between the Dolphins and Chargers (The hook and ladder!!!).

Even 1983. Marinos rookie year. Marcus Allen shreds the Redskins in the Super Bowl.

Always love your stuff Percussion. So authentic and lot’s of passion in the creation of your rosters. It oozes nostalgia.
Man.....Charger fans had nightmares all week from Don Strock and Tony Nathan. The next week our nightmares became reality seeing Dan Fouts throwing ducks in Cincy. We could still see Fouts frozen beard
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge380
Man.....Charger fans had nightmares all week from Don Strock and Tony Nathan. The next week our nightmares became reality seeing Dan Fouts throwing ducks in Cincy. We could still see Fouts frozen beard

I remember that game the following week. We would have froze too!!!

We did get our revenge the very next season blowing you guys out. 31-0 I believe? We were so jacked up in the Orange Bowl. That sting from that loss never left until we got you again in the post season.

Then of course you guys broke our hearts again in 1994 as we blew a 21-3 halftime lead to lose 22-21. Natrone Means you bastard!!!

We always had a hard time beating you guys when we traveled to your place.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »