Home

M20 1988 Roster PS4

This is a discussion on M20 1988 Roster PS4 within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #105
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: M20 1988 Roster PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
Vikings Playbook tends to be around 53-55% pass
Oakland is all over the place. I have seen 51-70% pass

I tested some others but was not happy with any of them really.
The Vikings with a Vertical Power Run scheme gave decent results overall.

I know that is not a lot of help, but that is about all I have at this point.
the ravens playbook will commit to the run as well.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #106
MVP

OVR: 0

So I decided to do a little testing in Franchise mode this evening. I wanted to see how the sim stats were for the 1988 roster. Keep in mind, I did not play any games, I only simmed the season.

The first sim was with default playbooks for each team. In other words, I did not change any playbooks or anything for any team. As I expected, the results were too high in terms of the run/pass ratio. It was about a 2% difference with passing being too high.

I then went through and changed every team to the Minnesota playbook. That playbook in previous testing is pretty balanced and has a nice selection of formations for played games. The result there was about 2% too low in terms of passing.

That is good news really. I think with changing a couple of playbooks for some pass heavy teams, like the Dolphins, would help balance out the run/pass ratio. Now, if that was the only problem with franchise mode and sim stats I would be all over it.
HOWEVER....
In both sims the total number of plays were too low. In 1988 the average number of total plays for a team was 1026.7. In Madden, the average was 944 and 937 in the two sims I did. That is a large difference overall. To be clear, that is pass attempts, sacks, and rushing attempts combined.

Again, that is something I could live with if played games were the same number of plays, but that is not the case unless you alter the length of the game.

Still, that is all the least of the issues...
I looked at individual stats as well. If you have played this roster, or any of my rosters really, you know that I drop QB ratings to produce more realistic numbers in played games. Well, the sim stats are still WAY too high. Even in the sim where I changed the playbooks, QB passed for too many yards. They threw way too many TDs and not near enough INTS. There yard per attempt were also too high.
Rushing stats were no better overall. Far too many runningbacks ended up over 1,000 yards. Also, there were almost no fumbles. A couple of leading backs had 1 or 2 fumbles for the season, but many had 0!

In any case, this confirmed for me that franchise mode is just not ready for classic rosters. Now, perhaps, if you played every game instead of simming, the results might be different. I have not gone into that yet, and do not know if I will.

I just figured I would share the results of my testing with everyone in case people were curious.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #107
MVP

OVR: 6

If you’ve got two controllers, there’s a trick to use custom playbooks. You have to assign the second controller as a back-up qb. It may also help to change the scheme to one of the power running schemes in the coaches profile. This has also helped in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
So I decided to do a little testing in Franchise mode this evening. I wanted to see how the sim stats were for the 1988 roster. Keep in mind, I did not play any games, I only simmed the season.

The first sim was with default playbooks for each team. In other words, I did not change any playbooks or anything for any team. As I expected, the results were too high in terms of the run/pass ratio. It was about a 2% difference with passing being too high.

I then went through and changed every team to the Minnesota playbook. That playbook in previous testing is pretty balanced and has a nice selection of formations for played games. The result there was about 2% too low in terms of passing.

That is good news really. I think with changing a couple of playbooks for some pass heavy teams, like the Dolphins, would help balance out the run/pass ratio. Now, if that was the only problem with franchise mode and sim stats I would be all over it.
HOWEVER....
In both sims the total number of plays were too low. In 1988 the average number of total plays for a team was 1026.7. In Madden, the average was 944 and 937 in the two sims I did. That is a large difference overall. To be clear, that is pass attempts, sacks, and rushing attempts combined.

Again, that is something I could live with if played games were the same number of plays, but that is not the case unless you alter the length of the game.

Still, that is all the least of the issues...
I looked at individual stats as well. If you have played this roster, or any of my rosters really, you know that I drop QB ratings to produce more realistic numbers in played games. Well, the sim stats are still WAY too high. Even in the sim where I changed the playbooks, QB passed for too many yards. They threw way too many TDs and not near enough INTS. There yard per attempt were also too high.
Rushing stats were no better overall. Far too many runningbacks ended up over 1,000 yards. Also, there were almost no fumbles. A couple of leading backs had 1 or 2 fumbles for the season, but many had 0!

In any case, this confirmed for me that franchise mode is just not ready for classic rosters. Now, perhaps, if you played every game instead of simming, the results might be different. I have not gone into that yet, and do not know if I will.

I just figured I would share the results of my testing with everyone in case people were curious.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #108
Pro

I haven't tested on 20 but I found using super sim PTM on normal speed gave me stats I was comfortable with on that 95 set on 19. Stas weren't perfect but made sense given the flow of the games. There was some inflation but it was stuff I could live with.

Last edited by Steelers4190; 10-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #109
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers4190
I haven't tested on 20 but I found using super sim PTM on normal speed gave me stats I was comfortable with on that 95 set on 19. Stas weren't perfect but made sense given the flow of the games.
The stats were certainly better on super sim per game than doing the whole season at once for M19. In very limited testing they are better for M20 also.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #110
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycoa
If you’ve got two controllers, there’s a trick to use custom playbooks. You have to assign the second controller as a back-up qb. It may also help to change the scheme to one of the power running schemes in the coaches profile. This has also helped in the past.
I do believe this option was removed starting with Madden 18.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #111
Rookie

OVR: 1

Seems strange QB's can't throw lots more picks if their AWR was lowered or traits like forces passes, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteachernerd1968
Seems strange QB's can't throw lots more picks if their AWR was lowered or traits like forces passes, etc.
Compare average QB statistics from 1990 vs 2019 .... now you know why. The default % are much different. Therefore, I surmise sim engine requires SEVERE chopping down of ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »