Home

Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay

This is a discussion on Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #17
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Here's my thought about this....

I'm really hoping they don't affect gameplay as much this year, but I feel pretty sure they will affect to some degree. I can guarantee they affect animations being triggered at the very least. Set facemask to 55+, and not only will u see facemasks called, but the higher u go, the more often u will see a facemask type tackle triggered, and lose big hit tackles and lose wrap up tackles as well. RTK is my personal favorite and I'm telling u, set this guy to 60 and leave it there. U will now see players 'play till the whistle,' and maybe even 1 sec after the whistle sometimes. This is my 'gang tackling' slider and I no longer see the '1 player tackle animation triggered while everyone else just stands there.' Players keep coming to the ball until the ball carrier is completely tackled. I have a feeling that FS and OS may play less of a role this year as the line play has been reconfigured. That is a good thing. And, not sure about holding and clipping yet. I can tell u with a high opi, u will see your offensive players just flying all over the field on runs and passes AFTER the catch is made and u will see hellacious blocks thrown downfield making the offense a bit overpowered. So, I'm pretty sure they still affect gameplay some, but I hope not as much. IG is a perfect example. As I've stated previously, I'm still not sure whether low or high is the way to go this year, but this slider ABSOLUTELY has some connection with QB pocket presence and decision making. So, idk, I think they will still affect gameplay and for me, they are the first things I try to slider now to get a base foundation for certain animations to trigger properly and to tweak general gameplay aspects that affect both CPU and hum somewhat equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

So which slider affects run blocking? I'm trying to give the CPU a rushing boost.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
Gotcha.

So a penalty slider base is like this?

Off - 65
False st - 65
Holding - 60
Face mask - 54
DPI - 100
OPI - 0
Kr/pr int - 55
Clip - 58
Int Ground - 60
R pass - 53
R kick - 60

IMO, that's a pretty solid base, actually. I've always seen things differently than everyone else on opi and dpi. I actually believe those values should be extremely close to one another and give both WR and DB equal aggressiveness. I'm trying 59/59 right now. Over 60 for opi provides too strong of blocking downfield and running becomes overpowered again. But, all of your other numbers are a good base, IMO. I've said it multiple times in this thread and I'll say it again here, RTK provides gang tackling and 60 is PERFECT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Ok cool. I am going to change to your 2 PI suggestions. Right now just trying to sort these sliders out first. Keeping all gameplay at 50 and then tweaking those later.

I think the key here is almost to let the game "settle" in to the changes. In my opinion you need to play at least 5-6 games without making any other changes before adjusting your next slider.

Now this may go absolutely haywire when ea drops a gameplay tuner. It does look like we will be able to load and delete tuner files so that may help.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2

[quote=Here's my thought about this....

Quote:

I don't buy into the penalties affecting gameplay this year.

In the past? sure and the same went for NCAA 14 as well,but the way I have my penalties set up,if it DID affect gameplay,then I would surely notice.

As an example,I'll use holding....now obviously in the past,the higher this was set,the easier the user running game was,I currently have my holding slider in the high 90's....and guess what? my line doesn't hold the block any better than it did at default.

Now lets look at OPI and DPI...again,with past Maddens and NCAA 14...the lower these were set,you would see more aggressive play from the WR's and DB's....I currently have mine set @99....the DB's are still aggressive,and my WR's still fight for the ball.

That's only 2 examples...oh yea and before I forget...IG has no affect on the cpu taking so many sacks either.(imo)[/QUOTE]

I am inclined to agree with this. Penalties are one of the first things I always work on, and have been the focus of most of my adjustments so far. I have yet to notice them genuinely effecting anything other than penalties, and to be honest, even that's hard to understand. What I have seen, is a lot of randomness when it comes to penalties, and gameplay alike. Which, may not be a bad thing. For instance, setting the facemask slider to 58, I had 4 facemask calls. Then at 57 I had 2 facemask calls the first game, but 6 the second game. Moved it down to 56 and I get 5 calls. It's a small test, but shows clear inconsistency. Also, as an example for the holding slider. My holding slider has been set to 95 since i started playing. 9 games in, and I have yet to rush for more than 50 yards with Adrian Peterson, on All pro. Now, I am not the best player or anything, but I almost never finish a game under 50 rushing yards, even on all madden. Same thing with the OPI slider. It's been set to 99 since I started, and I have seen plenty of sideline catches in my games.

What I really think, is that the gameplay is genuinely different this year. the AI is genuinely different this year, and because of that, we have to be careful not to assume what we have learned in the past will help. IF penalty slider effect gameplay this year, we won't be able to rely on previous data to understand how.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

No matter what I try, I cannot get a game without the cpu taking at least 4 sacks (usually 6+), and frankly that's all I care about right now, as everything else is fine with me. It's unpredictable, like a real game.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
RTK is my personal favorite and I'm telling u, set this guy to 60 and leave it there. U will now see players 'play till the whistle,' and maybe even 1 sec after the whistle sometimes. This is my 'gang tackling' slider and I no longer see the '1 player tackle animation triggered while everyone else just stands there.' Players keep coming to the ball until the ball carrier is completely tackled.
Have to disagree with this...I still have RTK at default and have seen everything you are describing,especially when it comes to "gang tackling".

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
IG is a perfect example. As I've stated previously, I'm still not sure whether low or high is the way to go this year, but this slider ABSOLUTELY has some connection with QB pocket presence and decision making.
Also have to disagree with this....I have tried IG at 0,25,35,40 and back at default as well as 65,85 and 99....and seen no difference at all.

QB's still seem to hold on the ball far to long,that's why I mentioned that IG has no effect on CPU taking sacks (imo)

I can't remember the exact setting I used against the Browns...but playing against Manziel,I remember multiple plays to where my defense got to him,and instead of throwing the ball he held on to it so long that he looked like a pinball not knowing what to do.

My belief is that this is more a coding error,and sliders won't be able to alleviate the issue....as a matter of fact,in A&S's slider thread,somebody mentioned (sorry can't remember the name) that the only way he was pretty much able to get the sack issue under control was through player edits.

Now I went through this editing stuff early on in NCAA 14 working with Matt,and it's not something I wish to do again. IF it's possible that it's a rating's issue,hopefully EA can address this...until then,I firmly believe sliders won't help here.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 08-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #24
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

During some testing, I noticed when setting the IG to 95 that the QB tended to scramble versus throwing the ball away and at 5 and 0 the QB would throw it away. Another thing though when it is set to 0 most of the passes are short, dump offs to the Rb, or he throws it away. So for now I am going with 5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »