Home

Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay

This is a discussion on Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay

From a little testing this still appears to be true. The first penalty I messed with was intentional grounding. At 0, the CPU has a much quicker release and you don't get those awkward moments where the CPU holds on to the ball forever without getting rid of it. Other penalties I have messed with so far are DPI and OPI. With DPI at 100 WRs have a much easier time getting open. At 0 the coverage tightens up. For whatever reason OPI at 100 affects the ability of WRs to make sideline catches. At 100 you'll see minimal foot dragging on the sidelines. I'm still experimenting with other penalties and would be curious to see what others are experiencing.

Penalties have taken a severe step back this year. Now not only do they affect gameplay but they also don't get called. Penalties are an integral part of the NFL yet is completely overlooked in Madden's NFL. At this point I don't even need to see the animation of penalties (half the time I don't see it IRL) just give me realistic numbers. How is something like illegal contact that hard to implement?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Penalties (Still) Affect Gameplay

I tried messing with RTP a little. Same numbers as last year. At 54+, it happens a little too frequently. And, it's not totally realistic, but it happens. I say 53 is about right and will get called from time to time. I messed with IG as well. I didn't do the extremes that u tried, but feel I found the opposite result. In madden 25, lowering IG def helped the CPU get rid of the ball faster. I ended up setting mine at 23. But in 15, I tried 23 again first, and the QB took a lot of sacks. So, I tried it at 60, and the QB seemed to get rid of the ball better. Facemask at 55 will produce plenty (too many for me) of facemask type animations for tackles and will produce some actual penalties being called. I think in terms of the overall animations for tackles, for me, this is already pretty set at 54 from what I've seen so far. I've got holding, false start, and offsides at 60, and have yet to see ANY of those penalties called. Lol. I think maybe 1 false start was called against me. So, that's where I'm at so far. I was huge into setting/testing penalties last year, so I'll be down to figure them out again this year. No matter what anyone says, regardless of the number of penalties actually called in madden, these sliders DO have an effect on gameplay and/or animations and can really help shore up the overall look of the game. And, if we can get some damn penalties actually CALLED, it will be more realistic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Oh yeah. RTK at 60 is perfect for me already as well. This really still affects how long players are willing to keep going after the ball carrier and actually helps make the game 'look' better in terms of gang tackling. Setting this too high (really, at 63, it's already too high), and u get the extra awkward pileups after a play and even though the ball carrier looks like he's been down for a few secs, apparently the play is still live. So, really, this slider is actually very important in terms of gang tackling and makes the game look much better at 60. At 50, u still get those plays where once a tackle animation triggers, the rest of your team stops playing. At 60, even once a tackle animation gets triggered, u will still see your other players flying to the ball. In essence, they are 'roughing the player' as he's being tackled similar to 'roughing the kicker' after the play is 'over' once he's kicked the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg097
From a little testing this still appears to be true. The first penalty I messed with was intentional grounding. At 0, the CPU has a much quicker release and you don't get those awkward moments where the CPU holds on to the ball forever without getting rid of it. Other penalties I have messed with so far are DPI and OPI. With DPI at 100 WRs have a much easier time getting open. At 0 the coverage tightens up. For whatever reason OPI at 100 affects the ability of WRs to make sideline catches. At 100 you'll see minimal foot dragging on the sidelines. I'm still experimenting with other penalties and would be curious to see what others are experiencing.

Penalties have taken a severe step back this year. Now not only do they affect gameplay but they also don't get called. Penalties are an integral part of the NFL yet is completely overlooked in Madden's NFL. At this point I don't even need to see the animation of penalties (half the time I don't see it IRL) just give me realistic numbers. How is something like illegal contact that hard to implement?
I have OPI set to 98 and see plenty of foot dragging. Is this gameplay effect an all or nothing thing?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
MVP

BL8001's Arena

If this info is correct and past maddens give me no reason to doubt it, then all the slider makers need to sort out penalty sliders before adjusting gameplay.

Otherwise we are all chasing this gameplay thing in a circle since one slider pulls the gameplay one way while another pushes it back.

It's best to ignore the names of the penalty sliders and instead think of them as advanced gameplay sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
If this info is correct and past maddens give me no reason to doubt it, then all the slider makers need to sort out penalty sliders before adjusting gameplay.

Otherwise we are all chasing this gameplay thing in a circle since one slider pulls the gameplay one way while another pushes it back.

It's best to ignore the names of the penalty sliders and instead think of them as advanced gameplay sliders.
The penalties that actually get called still need to be set to where you're seeing the penalties. These are False Start, Facemask, and RTP. Holding used to work but not any more. Any penalty other than those 3 can be adjusted for gameplay.

This is all hearsay until it's confirmed 100%....

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Gotcha.

So a penalty slider base is like this?

Off - 65
False st - 65
Holding - 60
Face mask - 54
DPI - 100
OPI - 0
Kr/pr int - 55
Clip - 58
Int Ground - 60
R pass - 53
R kick - 60

Last edited by BL8001; 08-28-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 20

Wish the sliders worked like they should and didn't control a million other things. Somehow I managed to completely nerf the CPU run game. Gameplay has the potential to play great, but all the slider headaches makes this really frustrating stuff...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »