Home

Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #49
Pro

whosnext00's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
What I have found is at te very least QB Accuracy has a major effect on how the game plays in general; then WR Catch seems to be second in determining game play...

By game play, I am more specifically focusing on the CPU performance. There is an effect on the Human side, but as humans we obviously are more capable of adjusting; for the CPU "QB Acc." and "WR Catch" being set really determines where the other sliders limits are in regard to maintaining a CPU opponent that is a challenge.

For me, I have CPU QB Acc and WR catch at 100 and I am building around that.. If you just as easily build around QB Acc and WR Catch of 10, for example. Just my opinion, these are very key sliders and when everything else fails and you're not getting the desire results, play with these sliders in game; it doesn't take but a few snaps to notice differences when you change a slider.

I state playing, in game, because it is my belief penalty sliders are not calculated in practice mode so you are not getting the full effect of all sliders together unless playing in game. If you have 2 controllers, the easy it is to test specifics in game.
I have to disagree with you about penalty sliders not being used in practice mode. I have tested numerous penalty sliders within practice mode and always saw the change I was expecting.

QBA/WRC at 100? This is intriguing indeed. What is your premise for doing that?

I do agree that QBA/WRC are vital sliders and perhaps the most important of them all. I'm not convinced that these sliders affect things like Clipping for example. I am convinced that these sliders affect the QBs decisions outside of just accuracy, this means CPU calling audibles (which I've seen several times), throwing the ball past the 1st down marker on 3rd down (doesn't happen on lower settings for CPU) among other things.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #50
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosnext00
I have to disagree with you about penalty sliders not being used in practice mode. I have tested numerous penalty sliders within practice mode and always saw the change I was expecting.

QBA/WRC at 100? This is intriguing indeed. What is your premise for doing that?

I do agree that QBA/WRC are vital sliders and perhaps the most important of them all. I'm not convinced that these sliders affect things like Clipping for example. I am convinced that these sliders affect the QBs decisions outside of just accuracy, this means CPU calling audibles (which I've seen several times), throwing the ball past the 1st down marker on 3rd down (doesn't happen on lower settings for CPU) among other things.
My theory is to get the QB's and WR's at the best they can be and then dial in such preventive measures to corral their full potential with penalty sliders like OPI and DPI...

FOr me it is painfully obvious, though I accept I could still be wrong, that a higher QB Acc and WR Catch effects the running game's strength...Which would make sense, in that the better the passing game, the more focus on the pass and the run loosens up - it is the old standard of using the pass to open the run; I think Madden uses that theory over the opposite theory of using the run to open the pass.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 11-15-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 1

Quick question...after reading all these posts, it sounds like penalty sliders impact the USER more than the CPU. In other words, you can make the game harder or easier when playing against the CPU by adjusting the penalty sliders. Is that true, or did I misinterpret the conversation and penalty sliders have an even impact on both USER and CPU?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #52
Pro

OVR: 8

I think the best thing to do is to start off on all pro default. Too many guys using other peoples sliders and then changing the penalty sliders is starting to cause a lot of confusion. Let's all start with a base so we can start seeing the same results.
LA DODGERS
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #53
Rookie

Joshua_85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg097
As the title states this is simply a theory and it's nothing revolutionary as people have had similar threads in past versions of madden. I have done a lot of testing and I have come to the conclusion that penalties don't necessarily effect player attributes like sliders but instead how players approach plays. If you remember past versions of NCAA you could increase aggressiveness at the risk of penalties, i.e. "Hold Block" would result in bigger running lanes with the risk of more holding/clipping calls. Changing penalty sliders seems to have the same effect without the risk of penalties. With that said here are my observations of penalty sliders.

Offside: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the defensive line. At 0, d-lineman are more conservative and generate less pass rush.

False Start: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the offensive line. At 100, o-lineman fire off the line quicker to their blocks.

Holding: Similar to the "Hold Block" feature in NCAA. At 100, o-lineman will hold their blocks longer. This seems to be more profound in the passing game.

Facemask: Sadly, this is the only slider that actually works for CPU and Hum. However, this slider also impacts players tackle aggression. At 100, you will definitely see a ton of facemask penalties but also a lot of big hits.

Defensive PI: Increases/decreases DB aggression. At 100, pass coverage is more high risk/high reward.

Offensive PI: Increases/decreases WR aggression. At 100, wr's will lay out for the ball more with the added risk of not being as technically precise. I.e. not getting both feet down in bounds.

KR/PR Int: Increases/decreases special teams aggressiveness. Lower the slider and you will see increases returning.

Clipping: Similar to holding with one noticeable difference. Holding seems to impact pass blocking and clipping seems to have a greater impact on run blocking.

Intentional Grounding: Impacts the qb's release. Increase slider and qb will hold on to the ball longer.

Roughing the Passer: Impacts the pursuit of the qb. At 100, the defense with have greater pursuit to the qb.

Roughing the Kicker: This slider is really unique as it impacts the defenses pursuit. At 0, you will see almost all solo tackles and at 100 you will see a team pursuit effort. At 100, 90% of the time there will 2-3 guys around the ball carrier.

Using this info I've been able to achieve solid gameplay with nearly default All-Madden sliders. The only sliders I have touched besides penalties are QBA (5), Kickoff Power (55), Speed Threshold (0), and fatigue (60).

Here are the penalties I'm currently using.
Offsides: 5
False Start: 95
Holding: 95
Facemask: 65 (-30)
DPI: 95
OPI: 5
KR Int: 5
Clipping: 5
Int Grounding: 0 (-5)
RTP: 5
RTK: 5

With these settings I'm seeing a lot of stuff you see on Sunday. A lot of 2-3yd running plays with an occasional big run. Variety in the passing game with elite pass d's shutting down sub-par passing games and vice versa.
I just came here to say THANK YOU! You finally have shown me what really helps with the sack issue. It is the roughing the passer slider! Finally after 2 years someone has figured it out. I've tried the Holding, Offsides, and False Starts all at 0 to 100 with no noticeable change. Still getting sacked and making sacks 7-10 times a game. Now with the Roughing the Passer set real low, the number is much much more realistic. Thank you, I can finally enjoy Madden a little bit more.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #54
Rookie

Joshua_85's Arena

I am having trouble with 1 thing though and that's computer completion percentage. Every game the other team has very high percentage while mine is more realistic. If I lower the CPU accuracy, then for some reason whenever they throw a deep ball I intercept it. So I can't do that. I feel like I'm cheating though if I increase my pass coverage. Could the answer be in the DPI and OPI settings?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #55
Rookie

Joshua_85's Arena

Well nevermind lol. This worked for about 1 game, then everything went back to the same crap. DL getting tons of sacks. Both of my DTs are over 20 sacks of the year going into game 12 with my DE almost 10. I've messed with the sliders and penalties too many times to count going back and forth trying to fix this issue, but nothing works. This is probably one of the worst Madden games out there. I hope 17 is better or else it looks like I'm going back to quiting on the franchise again. Which especially sucks when I'm in between other games and have no other game to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thought this considered a bump and ya'lls opinions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »