Penalty Explanation Theory - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Penalty Explanation Theory

This is a discussion on Penalty Explanation Theory within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Pro
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Penalty Explanation Theory

As the title states this is simply a theory and it's nothing revolutionary as people have had similar threads in past versions of madden. I have done a lot of testing and I have come to the conclusion that penalties don't necessarily effect player attributes like sliders but instead how players approach plays. If you remember past versions of NCAA you could increase aggressiveness at the risk of penalties, i.e. "Hold Block" would result in bigger running lanes with the risk of more holding/clipping calls. Changing penalty sliders seems to have the same effect without the risk of penalties. With that said here are my observations of penalty sliders.


Offside: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the defensive line. At 0, d-lineman are more conservative and generate less pass rush.


False Start: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the offensive line. At 100, o-lineman fire off the line quicker to their blocks.


Holding: Similar to the "Hold Block" feature in NCAA. At 100, o-lineman will hold their blocks longer. This seems to be more profound in the passing game.


Facemask: Sadly, this is the only slider that actually works for CPU and Hum. However, this slider also impacts players tackle aggression. At 100, you will definitely see a ton of facemask penalties but also a lot of big hits.


Defensive PI: Increases/decreases DB aggression. At 100, pass coverage is more high risk/high reward.


Offensive PI: Increases/decreases WR aggression. At 100, wr's will lay out for the ball more with the added risk of not being as technically precise. I.e. not getting both feet down in bounds.


KR/PR Int: Increases/decreases special teams aggressiveness. Lower the slider and you will see increases returning.


Clipping: Similar to holding with one noticeable difference. Holding seems to impact pass blocking and clipping seems to have a greater impact on run blocking.


Intentional Grounding: Impacts the qb's release. Increase slider and qb will hold on to the ball longer.


Roughing the Passer: Impacts the pursuit of the qb. At 100, the defense with have greater pursuit to the qb.


Roughing the Kicker: This slider is really unique as it impacts the defenses pursuit. At 0, you will see almost all solo tackles and at 100 you will see a team pursuit effort. At 100, 90% of the time there will 2-3 guys around the ball carrier.


Using this info I've been able to achieve solid gameplay with nearly default All-Madden sliders. The only sliders I have touched besides penalties are QBA (5), Kickoff Power (55), Speed Threshold (0), and fatigue (60).


Here are the penalties I'm currently using.
Offsides: 5
False Start: 95
Holding: 95
Facemask: 65 (-30)
DPI: 95
OPI: 5
KR Int: 5
Clipping: 5
Int Grounding: 0 (-5)
RTP: 5
RTK: 5


With these settings I'm seeing a lot of stuff you see on Sunday. A lot of 2-3yd running plays with an occasional big run. Variety in the passing game with elite pass d's shutting down sub-par passing games and vice versa.


Last edited by tdogg097; 09-07-2014 at 04:26 AM.
tdogg097 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Rookie
 
zizoux's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

thank you. Will definitely try these.
as you said user and cpu sliders give attribute boosts and that minimizes the differences between players
zizoux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
MVP
 
iameich's Arena
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wash Heights, New York City
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

I just tried these along with Charter's AM sliders & face mask penalty has been called a totaled of 5 times in 5 mins (15min qt)!!! 3 were called on me while on defense, 2 were called on the CPUs defense smh!!!
__________________
"It's about damn time... It's about damn time. - LeBron James
iameich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Pro
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by iameich
I just tried these along with Charter's AM sliders & face mask penalty has been called a totaled of 5 times in 5 mins (15min qt)!!! 3 were called on me while on defense, 2 were called on the CPUs defense smh!!!


I'm still working on the sweet spot for that slider. It's the only penalty that is called with consistency and it also impacts tackler aggression. I tried it at 5 just to see the impact and guys were breaking a lot of tackles. Keep in mind this penalty takes the place of all defensive penalties, PI, horse collar, roughing the passer, illegal hits to the head, etc. You either live with facemask as the only penalty or have virtually no penalties called. But I'm still trying to find the right dial so you get realistic stats, at 95 I'm consistently in double digits which is not realistic. I'm going to try 75.
tdogg097 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
Pro
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

Stats from game with facemask at 75. Still too many penalties. Going to bump down to 65. Overall, this was a great game.


http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/osdyn.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
Indianapolis Colts at Denver Broncos
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Indianapolis Colts (CPU)0280735
Denver Broncos (HUM)7771738
Team Stats Comparison
INDDEN
Total Offense344431
Rushing Yards115106
Passing Yards229325
First Downs2526
Punt Return Yards141
Kick Return Yards0125
Total Yards358557
Turnovers23
3rd Down Converstion7-145-8
4th Down Conversion1-20-0
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals5-4-06-5-1
Penalties9-9914-156
Posession Time32:5527:05
Indianapolis Colts
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Team29/4232522
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Team271063.93
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Team63-6620
Denver Broncos
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Team28/3726722
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Team361153.23
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Team55-0020
tdogg097 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Rookie
 
chino22's Arena
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, GA
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

Based on the theory, you should be seeing a large reduction in the amount of sacks the CPU has been giving up. Have you noticed that? In your stats above, did that mean that you as Denver did not sack Luck once?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Don't play video games, play basketball.
chino22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #7
Pro
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino22
Based on the theory, you should be seeing a large reduction in the amount of sacks the CPU has been giving up. Have you noticed that? In your stats above, did that mean that you as Denver did not sack Luck once?


Those stats are swapped. I had 6 sacks but I have seen a lot of variety with sacks. From 0, to the 6 that I had in this game. My DT had 3 sacks early and then the AI shored up the pass pro.
tdogg097 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
"I reckon so."
 
Last Gunfighter's Arena
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 845
Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg097
As the title states this is simply a theory and it's nothing revolutionary as people have had similar threads in past versions of madden. I have done a lot of testing and I have come to the conclusion that penalties don't necessarily effect player attributes like sliders but instead how players approach plays. If you remember past versions of NCAA you could increase aggressiveness at the risk of penalties, i.e. "Hold Block" would result in bigger running lanes with the risk of more holding/clipping calls. Changing penalty sliders seems to have the same effect without the risk of penalties. With that said here are my observations of penalty sliders.


Offside: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the defensive line. At 0, d-lineman are more conservative and generate less pass rush.


False Start: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the offensive line. At 100, o-lineman fire off the line quicker to their blocks.


Holding: Similar to the "Hold Block" feature in NCAA. At 100, o-lineman will hold their blocks longer. This seems to be more profound in the passing game.


Facemask: Sadly, this is the only slider that actually works for CPU and Hum. However, this slider also impacts players tackle aggression. At 100, you will definitely see a ton of facemask penalties but also a lot of big hits.


Defensive PI: Increases/decreases DB aggression. At 100, pass coverage is more high risk/high reward.


Offensive PI: Increases/decreases WR aggression. At 100, wr's will lay out for the ball more with the added risk of not being as technically precise. I.e. not getting both feet down in bounds.


KR/PR Int: Increases/decreases special teams aggressiveness. Lower the slider and you will see increases returning.


Clipping: Similar to holding with one noticeable difference. Holding seems to impact pass blocking and clipping seems to have a greater impact on run blocking.


Intentional Grounding: Impacts the qb's release. Increase slider and qb will hold on to the ball longer.


Roughing the Passer: Impacts the pursuit of the qb. At 100, the defense with have greater pursuit to the qb.


Roughing the Kicker: This slider is really unique as it impacts the defenses pursuit. At 0, you will see almost all solo tackles and at 100 you will see a team pursuit effort. At 100, 90% of the time there will 2-3 guys around the ball carrier.


Using this info I've been able to achieve solid gameplay with nearly default All-Madden sliders. The only sliders I have touched besides penalties are QBA (5), Kickoff Power (55), Speed Threshold (0), and fatigue (60).


Here are the penalties I'm currently using.
Offsides: 5
False Start: 95
Holding: 95
Facemask: 95 (Still testing because this generates a lot of penalties)
DPI: 95
OPI: 5
KR Int: 5
Clipping: 5
Int Grounding: 5
RTP: 5
RTK: 5


With these settings I'm seeing a lot of stuff you see on Sunday. A lot of 2-3yd running plays with an occasional big run. Variety in the passing game with elite pass d's shutting down sub-par passing games and vice versa.
I tried these just as they are except with face mask at 75. After 3 quarters I turned it off, 18 face mask calls....
__________________
New Orleans SAINTS |LSU TIGERS |New York RANGERS

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle 'Dixie'?" -The Outlaw, Josie Wales
Last Gunfighter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Top -