Home

I think speed has an enormous impact on gameplay

This is a discussion on I think speed has an enormous impact on gameplay within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19
I think speed has an enormous impact on gameplay

I notice that a lot of sliders have either slow or normal as an option, but I'm starting to suspect there's a huge difference between the way the game plays on the various speed levels.

What I'm seeing is that it seems harder to run the ball on slow speeds. Try it for yourself. Start a play now game and call the same running plays on slow, normal, and fast. On slow on outside runs, I'm seeing defenders meet me right at the line or behind. On normal and fast, I'm breaking to the outside, much, much easier.

On the other side of the ball, it seems like the CPU is also running much better on normal and fast.

Of course, there's also threshold to consider, which I left at 50 for testing purposes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: I think speed has an enormous impact on gameplay

i noticed this as well (at least in madden 25.) when i had it last fall i always played on slow. but when i downloaded a few weeks ago with ea access and messed around with a player career with walter payton I was having a hard time running the ball. I decided to change to normal speed and it was MUCH easier to run.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I agree one hundred percent

I would rush 20 times for 40 yards regularly on slow, on normal I typically go about 30 rushes for 115 yards between my two backs. Same sliders

CPU offense in general seems better on normal than slow

There is definitely an impact

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
I notice that a lot of sliders have either slow or normal as an option, but I'm starting to suspect there's a huge difference between the way the game plays on the various speed levels.

What I'm seeing is that it seems harder to run the ball on slow speeds. Try it for yourself. Start a play now game and call the same running plays on slow, normal, and fast. On slow on outside runs, I'm seeing defenders meet me right at the line or behind. On normal and fast, I'm breaking to the outside, much, much easier.

On the other side of the ball, it seems like the CPU is also running much better on normal and fast.

Of course, there's also threshold to consider, which I left at 50 for testing purposes.
Your right, and to add to your theory I noticed on slower speeds the QB reacts slow to run when you decide to run with him, but on fast its a much smoother transition.

I play on fast. I feel everything moves much better and smoother. It's also not much faster than normal, but a good enough difference.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Glad to see others noticing this.

I actually prefer the way the game animates on slow, but I'm going to play on normal or fast just because the game feels better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Tossing my hat into the ring on this. I have just bumped up my slider set to Normal (from Slow) as I think the CPU plays better. As I said in my slider thread:

I remembered something about Madden 25, the CPU QBs didn't play as well on the slow speed. I summed it up as not only was the animation slow, but the AI behind the scenes was slow too...thus you get QBs standing around like bloody idiots like they can't process the ever-changing conditions on the field quickly enough. I don't mind sacks, I DO mind when the sacks come from completely unrealistic QB play.

I'm NOT saying that bumping the game up to normal will make all things in the world right with the sack issue; I do think it can help.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Was always a SLOW speed player. Played M25 on Very Fast and M15 on Fast. The defensive pursuit is much better and the animations for the most part look better. It made a HUGE difference in how M25 played. I don't notice it as much on M15 but it's there. I think most are hesitant to make the switch, but after about a quarter the entire thing slows down.

I highly recommend it. It was a big time game changer for me in NCAA 14 and Madden 25. It really helps with all of those rubbery rag doll types of animations.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

After ALWAYS playing on slow I gave this a shot. My observations:

The Cpu QB is much wiser. He throws the ball away instead of getting sacked

Kickoff and punt returns are more difficult

I got picked of four times- maybe an adjustment period to quicker speed

I got spanked 27-3. Cpu was much more difficult to deal with on both sides of the ball.

General observation- star WR seem to be underutilized by cpu. He is content hitting outlet receivers. Could be that I generally play some type of 'cover' shell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »