Home

Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon

This is a discussion on Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Oraeon--Do you think that where you have the skill sliders can also have an effect on how the penalty sliders work?
For example if your pass/run blocking slider is raised to promote great blocking you may rarely see any holding,clippiping, false start penalties no matter where you have it due to the players almost always being smarter or in great position to block due to the high pass/run block slider....?

Or high coverage and pass reaction may equate to very few DPIs due to players always being in ideal position due to high coverage and high ball awareness due to pass reaction....? Maybe a high coverage (db in position) coupled with lower awareness (reaction) and high DPI may result in more DPIs..?

Hope I didn't take your thread off topic..

I don't know but I have never found that penalty sliders actually effect gameplay anyway (though I do understand the argument for why they might if animations are linked to actions).

The problem with DPI is unique. There is DPI however DPI is actually a specific call for a ball thrown to a player who is interfered with. That is why it is rare. CPU avoids throwing there and humans avoid throwing there, whereas NFL quarterbacks may see this and specifically target the situation. You will see it in the game if you target the interfered with player. Here is EAs mistake:

1) DPI should occur when the ball is in the air in route to a receiver not during the initial part of the route before the throw. That is illegal contact or holding which they haven't bothered coded. Change the code to have the CB who is beaten interfere wit the receiver after the throw button is pushed or AI passes.

2) PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CODE IN HOLDING AND ILLEGAL CONTACT.

There I had my tirade against their incredibly shoddy programming.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Nice breakdown, particularly the relationship between the Pass Coverage and Reaction time sliders. I'm definitely seeing a big difference in the CPU's throwing decisions with coverage lowered (because guys are getting open more often, obviously) - they're not holding the ball nearly as long and making good decisions. And if they get time to stand in the pocket, it's probably going to be a big play because coverage WILL break down. I've been trying to "break" the CPU/coach mode game to have overpowered offense instead of defense, and zeroing that slider may just have done that by itself.

I'm a big believer in having a large sample size before coming to any real conclusions, but even from a few quarters of watching the CPU play I can tell that it's very different.

Edit: Yep, sure enough I spoke too soon in thinking this would fix the sack problem...6 sacks in the first quarter of my second game with the same settings

The difference is that these aren't coverage sacks, but rather blown O-line assignments against 5+ man rushes, which are resulting in pressure before anyone can get open. Unfortunately, if the Pass Block slider only affects the user difficulty of getting past the O-line, we're kinda SOL on this until a patch.

Last edited by bcruise; 09-18-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

If I wanted to see tighter coverage in man and zone and more contested throws/catches, which sliders should be adjusted and in which direction?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Nice breakdown, particularly the relationship between the Pass Coverage and Reaction time sliders. I'm definitely seeing a big difference in the CPU's throwing decisions with coverage lowered (because guys are getting open more often, obviously) - they're not holding the ball nearly as long and making good decisions. And if they get time to stand in the pocket, it's probably going to be a big play because coverage WILL break down. I've been trying to "break" the CPU/coach mode game to have overpowered offense instead of defense, and zeroing that slider may just have done that by itself.

I'm a big believer in having a large sample size before coming to any real conclusions, but even from a few quarters of watching the CPU play I can tell that it's very different.

Edit: Yep, sure enough I spoke too soon in thinking this would fix the sack problem...6 sacks in the first quarter of my second game with the same settings

The difference is that these aren't coverage sacks, but rather blown O-line assignments against 5+ man rushes, which are resulting in pressure before anyone can get open. Unfortunately, if the Pass Block slider only affects the user difficulty of getting past the O-line, we're kinda SOL on this until a patch.
Maybe this is just coincidence, but I was in my 2nd week with the Cardinals playing the Giants. Eli only had 2 sacks through 3qtrs with 1 pick, and a 70% completion. Running was ok for both sides. I was down 17-14. Then just into the 4th qtr, my Xbox 1 freezes up. Had to restart the whole game. Same settings as before, and I had a total of 8 sacks on Eli with 2 picks. I was also getting sacked like crazy it seemed. Running was very easy this time around too. I won 24-17

Can't remember my exact sliders, but here are some.

Runblocking - CPU 60 Me 55
Pass Coverage - CPU 45 Me 65
Reaction Time - CPU 65 Me 35
Passblock - CPU 85 Me 85
QB Accuracy - CPU 20 Me 15

Kinda strange how with the exact same settings, and I get almost completely different type of games. I don't know. I just think EA really doesn't care on making a great football game anymore, and just focus more with Madden Ultimate Team, and having the sheep spend money on that. Just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #61
Pro

The sack issue is an AI problem. If you check out my Statistics&Sliders thread you can see the actual testing of each slider. You will see that lower pass coverage does impact sacks but reduced it on the play called to 6 from 12. Each game is different because different primary routes force the AI to hold the ball longer. This then results in more coverage sacks. Each teams playbook may have more or less deep throws changing the sack numbers. It probably even varies based on random play selection by the AI.

The only way to fix sacks is either roster edits or a patch. I am avoiding starting a season until the patch comes out. Reportedly they are addressing the AI issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #62
Pro

Bumping back because people are asking about sliders again.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #63
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
Since EA never releases explanations I have done some testing in practice mode. You can't test in game because play calls and defense calls have dramatic effects on sacks and interceptions (test it out yourself, I can sack the AI every time if coverage lines up). All testing was comparing set plays and changes observed. You can see my statistics and sliders thread for the actual tests if you wish.

Threshold: Lowering this increases HB and WR speed against LB but generally won't have much effect on WR vs CB interactions unless there is a significant speed mismatch. Potentially could muck up other parts of the game such as pass rush, open recievers etc... Adjust to extremes at your own risk.

QB accuracy: Effects incomplete passes. It does not effect decision making or choices same distribution of short, medium and long passes. On further testing QB accuracy does not effect scrambling it was an error of too few samples. If you combine very low QB ACC 5-15 range with wide open passes (low pass coverage and high pass reaction you may get the results you are looking for).

Pass blocking: No discernable effect this year in AI vs AI interactions. It does markedly change the outcome of the players button press to beat the CPU offensive lineman blocking him. This stupid decision by EA porks the entire blocking slider. I set for CPU at 100 that way if I want to play DE it isn't too easy (you only win 30-40% of the time instead of 50% on default).

WR catching: Does what it says and increases or decreases drops

Run blocking: Raising this slider increases YPC and reduces TFL stats in game. Use to assist AI run game only after you adjust tackles.

Fumbles: Works but hard to quantify. The lower the number the more the fumbling.

Reaction time: This effects the reaction to the ball in the air and within the zones in zone defense. It also appears to boost the acceleration statistic of defenders to regain position. It has no effect on sacks but the lower the slider the better the defense and the more interceptions and deflections. Has no effects on play action or other trick plays. Summary: Higher reaction time makes the defense looser and reduces interceptions and deflections and increases YAC. Lower setting makes the defense tighter and increases INT and DEFL

Interceptions: Has no discernable effect on pass coverage. It does seem to control how often the AI drops the pass. Reaction seems to have more of an effect on closing to the pass.

Pass coverage: Effects route running statistic of the WR vs coverage statistic of the CB most likely. Has 2 impacts. 1) It controls the number of coverage sacks when zone offense is called (i.e. no one is open). 2) It cause defenders to visually make the wrong cut on cutting plays (outs, post, slants) and generate space. Reduce this slider to result in more open reciever's and less quarterback sacks particularly against zone.

Tackling: Used to generate more broken tackles. The lower the more broken tackles and big plays.
This really good and informative. Question though: Do these slider definitions have the same affect in M25 as well? And lastly, with all of this, do you have a desired slider set that you used on M25? I'd be interested in trying them out. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #64
Rookie

bubbaman11's Arena

OVR: 4

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the pass reaction slider, mainly how/if it impacts human ground game (why is there no rush reaction and break block slider anymore?) Even with my run blocking at 0 and threshold at 100 it's still entirely to easy to gash the cpu for big yardage on the ground.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »