Threshold slider explained - Page 2 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Threshold slider explained

This is a discussion on Threshold slider explained within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Threshold slider explained

I had my Speed threshold @ 25 for a good while 20 + games. I moved it to 35 n liking how my games feel even more overall.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Banned

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

I would like to point out that threshold does create a gap in player speed...

But ceratin ratings also impact gameplay speed factors.

For example I do not believe that threshold dictates if a WR gets open easier or not because the Route Running rating vs DB Man/Zone Coverage rating also plays a major factor.

I've seen WR's with speed in the high 70's to low 80's still effectively get open on routes and create speration quicker from past experiences in dealing with ratings for Madden and NCAA Football.

Too often the emphasis is put on player speed but there are ceratin ratings in the game that act like speed boosters on the field....

Another example of this is the Pursuit rating can offset the lack of speed by a defender on the field.

A LB can have 70 speed and not appear slow if his pursuit rating is very high he will close on the ball faster than a LB with high speed and low pursuit rating.

Last edited by Playmakers; 09-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Great post.

I have used 40 for the last two Madden's, and now I feel even more solidified in keeping it at 40. Honestly even leaving it at 50 default would probably be fine for me.

I ways noticed when I would drop it way down how coverage from a fast CB would get tighter and not looser like I hade expected, Iguess this explains why. It also explains why I ended up keeping it between 40-50, the extremes would always cause weird stuff I didn't understand.

Again, great post.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Nice write up its important that you noted it works both ways.

Basically, by lowering the threshold speed becomes even more of a valuable quantity. If you look in the NFL in plays over 20 yards over the course of the year, the numbers might surprise you. Schemes negate speed all the time. The NFL is doing everything it can to open up the offenses, but its really tough. The long break away plays are pretty infrequent despite being shown hours of highlites over and over again on a roll of the long plays.

The thing about EA football over the years is that speed has always been the end all be all. The more the other attributes matter the better.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I would like to point out that threshold does create a gap in player speed...

But ceratin ratings also impact gameplay speed factors.

For example I do not believe that threshold dictates if a WR gets open easier or not because the Route Running rating vs DB Man/Zone Coverage rating also plays a major factor.

I've seen WR's with speed in the high 70's to low 80's still effectively get open on routes and create speration quicker from past experiences in dealing with ratings for Madden and NCAA Football.

Too often the emphasis is put on player speed but there are ceratin ratings in the game that act like speed boosters on the field....

Another example of this is the Pursuit rating can offset the lack of speed by a defender on the field.

A LB can have 70 speed and not appear slow if his pursuit rating is very high he will close on the ball faster than a LB with high speed and low pursuit rating.

That is true. For instance route running is compared the man defense statistic and random results are then generated based on this. If the offensive player wins the defender turns the wrong way or stands flat footed (this interaction is controlled by the pass coverage slider). The receiver is then open regardless of the speed.

The problem with very large speed gaps created by low threshold is mainly that once you get separation as above that gap can close quickly if the defenders speed rating is much better than the receivers and they also have good acceleration (i.e. most Madden cornerbacks).
Old 09-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

OVR: 0

I actually put the threshold at 75 and the whole game slowed down. You could literally see the difference. The tackling and movement animations seemed so much better. The gameplay seemed harder because of the lack of separation with the higher threshold . But I enjoyed the game slit better and big plays seemed much more rewarding. I have my sliders as follows:

All pro
Very slow speed
Threshold 75

Hum / CPU
Pass acc. 25. 25
Pass block. 50. 50
WR catch. 50. 50

Run blk. 50. 50
Fumbles. 50. 50

Def reaction. 25. 25
Int. 50. 50
Pass coverage 75. 75

Tackle. 25. 25
Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6

Remember also that a higher threshold generally makes the game harder by lowering speed differences between LB other receivers potentially reducing easy short routes. However remember that by slowing down your WR and CB it also makes it harder for a CB to catch back up to a WR who beats them on a route (i.e. you might need to tighten/raise pass coverage as a result). I think this would work great for making the game harder for a human being. However, I just don't think EA's AI can handle that very well and probably will dink and dunk (since most deep routes don't have a cut the pass coverage slider and route running never come into effect.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

So basically putting threshold low (speed difference becomes greater) will cause it to be easy for most CB's to catch back up to WR's whom fooled them on a route. While putting it higher (difference becomes lesser) will cause it to be hard for a CB to catch a WR whom fooled him because their speed is leveled off so to speak.

It's funny, I always thought of threshold how it affects my RB's getting away from slower DE's and DT's and LB's on the other team. I never considered how it affects WR's and CB's.

Let alone sacks...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »