Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread - Page 10 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

This is a discussion on Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #73
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

Sorry but I guess this is too much information for me, but if I just want the CPU to throw more downfield passes and open up for more LB and DB interceptions should I put pass coverage or pass reaction lower (or both)? Also are you saying that anything below 25 is too low as it becomes random? So what if I increase all my player ratings (speed, man and zone coverage) and lower cpu accuracy and wr catching and put CPU coverage and reaction to 25. Would that greatly increase the number of downfield passes while still allowing more interceptions?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #74
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingWiz
My data does not support this observation. Yes, their is a lot of "short yardage" plays being chosen regularly, in fact a tad above the NFL average, BUT, in games that I have tracked IT IS NOT UNCOMMON to see the CPU QB exploit my man-to-man coverage when it sees fit.

My data supports that UNTIL you find the balance between the CPU PASS REAC/COV sliders, yes, you will see a lot of Alex Smith...

However, once you start finding balance between the CPU/QB ACC, CPU/QB PASS BLK, CPU/QB PASS COV/REAC, and to a limited degree TAK and WR CTCH and then dial in the INT GRND slider, the game is quite fun. Personally in my lab, tuning the ALL-PRO level has been an easier endeavor than All-MADDEN...
But you do agree that sliders should be between 25 and 75? I haven't tested this in game yet, I plan to today. And your saying Pass Coverage and Reaction should both be lowered? After seeing Rushin's videos of his theory of low Reaction and high Coverage I tested extensively over about 6 to 8 games and I believe his theory is correct. I think the pass D plays very realistic with these settings and there is a lot of evidence to back this up from other slider threads which have incorporated this theory.

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle 'Dixie'?" -The Outlaw, Josie Wales
Old 10-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #75
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I have found reaction time to be most noticeable when a player has the ball, or once the pass is caught.

So Reaction time, in my observations, effects how fast defenders close on a RB, and how fast they close of a receiver once the pass is caught, essentially effecting yards after catch; while the tackle slider plays the role of a fine tuning slider; so if you have a fast reaction time, but lower tackle slider, you get more broken tackles...

Reaction time does appear to effect outside runs.. I have yet to consistently find a setting that reduces the action of DT's peeling off their blocks on runs between tackles, but I have not experimented with penalty sliders, which I hope will be the overall fine tuning sliders to bring everything into balance....

A lower reaction time results in a faster reaction to the ball carrier, most noticeably on runs; then the tackle slider determines how probably the RB is to be stopped on impact.... Tackle slider in my opinion should be 25; i believe below 25 results in more inconsistencies, but i will continue to test on certain sliders, to see if certain sliders react differently below 25 or above 75...

Also keep in mind, that it very well seems to be that the distance between two related sliders has an effect on each other. A WR catch, for example of 50 is generally solid all around...Even with a QB accuracy at 25; but say I have a QB accuracy of 50 and a WR catch at 25; you see a lot of dropped balls. BUT if I have a QB accuracy of 25 and a WR catch at 25 then there are fewer dropped balls, and if pass cover is at 25 you can have a fairly similar game as if you had all 3 sliders at 50....

I believe now that QB accuracy has to be below 50, and WR catch needs to be equal to QB accuracy or above, and pass coverage needs to be adjusted in relation to WR catch; either even, or below....

I am using the dolphins and have made all core player ratings and key position ratings balanced at 70, so, in my theory, the slider settings are the ones creating any difference, outside of programmed differences within the game; so my goal is to make pass cover and WR catch, for example, match where the defender and receiver are just about neck and neck because once i play teams with unequal ratings, the better players should out perform the lesser players in a more consistent and realistic manner, I hope.

Reaction time, best tested on run plays...I also believe Reaction Time involves more in zone defense as far as any reaction to a pass, as in zone the DB is watching the QB more and reading what the QB is doing, as opposed to M2M cover. Therefore reaction to the QB pass release is more plausible than in M2M where the DB is relying more on the WR's head turn to decide when to look for the ball...
Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #76
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

*** extra note: Even with even ratings on players; I have seen many games where the QB's, Moore starts for the Dolphins after my ratings balance; one QB will hover around the 60% completion rate are and the other in the 70% completion area - so luck of the play call is important, it would seem....

If anyone know if we can edit default game plans and the team's they are associated with will still use them as their default plan, that would be great info to know...We could then go in and adjust the weight on plays, especially 3rd down plays where the QB seems to consistently face a blitz that results in a sack and thus a low 3rd down conversion rate.

speaking of which...With a QB acc of 25 and wr catch at 54 and pass cover at 41 and INT at 42, Tannehill, playing for both Dolphin's teams, went 60% completion for the losing team, throwing 4 int, but still passing for 156 yards in an 8 min quarter game, so in a full game close to 300 yards passing; and the other tannehill went 78% comp. for about 160 yards and 2 TD's and 2 INT's.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 10-13-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #77
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Nice write up.

So I assume you are rolling with something like:

CPU/Human
Pass coverage 50/20
QB ACC 10/10
WR Catch 35/35
Pass react ??/??

Close? What do you set Pass React to?

C
First I play on AllPro to avoid ratings boost which confuse things further.

CPU:
QB ACC: 32 (If WR Drops and CB DEFL are accurate it doesn't need to be so low)
WR Catch 43 (somewhere between 41 and 45)

HUMAN:
Pass coverage: 5 (lots of bad coverage but the AI needs help)
Pass Def Reaction Time: 30

For what to set against yourself that depends on your skill so I don't really make many recs there but you need WR catch around 33 for Human players to actually drop it (not sure why?). As someone else noted your combination of QB ACC and WR catch interact because bad passes are harder to catch.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #78
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
First I play on AllPro to avoid ratings boost which confuse things further.

CPU:
QB ACC: 32 (If WR Drops and CB DEFL are accurate it doesn't need to be so low)
WR Catch 43 (somewhere between 41 and 45)

HUMAN:
Pass coverage: 5 (lots of bad coverage but the AI needs help)
Pass Def Reaction Time: 30

For what to set against yourself that depends on your skill so I don't really make many recs there but you need WR catch around 33 for Human players to actually drop it (not sure why?). As someone else noted your combination of QB ACC and WR catch interact because bad passes are harder to catch.
That looks solid.....and yes, AI needs all the help it can get...agreed
Old 10-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #79
Pro

OVR: 2

Does Pass coverage or Pass Reaction effect the QBs willingness to throw deep? Could I lower the coverage but increase reaction(to protect against the run outside)?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #80
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknhoj1983
Does Pass coverage or Pass Reaction effect the QBs willingness to throw deep? Could I lower the coverage but increase reaction(to protect against the run outside)?
I have to say, I have adjusted Reaction time and tested outside runs, and I have not seen much of a change as to how well a RB gets to the outside...This may be an issue in regards to Speed Threshold?

Willingness to throw deep seems to be determined by how long it takes a receiver to get open, so lower pass cover helps; the QB accuracy itself does not seem to affect the chances of throwing deep; but WR catch may determine how tight of coverage a QB will throw into....WR Catch seems to affect separation ability, so adjusting WR catch with Pass cover may be important in finding a fair balance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »