Home

Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

This is a discussion on Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #81
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I have to say, I have adjusted Reaction time and tested outside runs, and I have not seen much of a change as to how well a RB gets to the outside...This may be an issue in regards to Speed Threshold?

Willingness to throw deep seems to be determined by how long it takes a receiver to get open, so lower pass cover helps; the QB accuracy itself does not seem to affect the chances of throwing deep; but WR catch may determine how tight of coverage a QB will throw into....WR Catch seems to affect separation ability, so adjusting WR catch with Pass cover may be important in finding a fair balance.

I can assure you WR catch has no effect on separation nor does pass reaction seem to effect running ability. Threshold adjustments have more effect then this. I would personally recommend keeping threshold near EAs base setting of 50. It really mucks with the game. I play at 45 to try to give HB a little boost. If you want an explanation of this slider go to my Threshold slider thread (it is information from EA back when they used to explain sliders).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #82
Pro

OVR: 6

The most important slider for having receivers open is not threshold, WR catch, or even Pass reaction; it is Pass coverage. Yes, it doesn't look real but what can you do? If I set it even to 20's I can't get Payton to pass downfield he only does dink and dunk passes and has almost no passing TDs.

Of course be aware that different players will get different results. In the NFL teams usually run 4 man fronts about 50% of the time 5 man rush 40% and 6 man or more rush 10%. This varies by team.
1) If you make tons of 6 man rushes you may see big plays downfield but also more sacks (CPU QB doesn't adjust plays or retain blockers or throw the ball away enough). This creates the illusion that your tight sliders are working correctly. However almost any pass that beats a 6 man rush will go for big yards because of the lack of safety help.

2) If you play only 4 man the CPU will have to dink and dunk down the field and the AI is too squirrely to handle that unlike in the real world and has to settle for run TD. This can also increase the Robo QB effect.

3) If you call sell out to pass with right stick every play you will also have better coverage, more sacks, and more AI dink and dunk passes with higher completion percentages and need to set QB ACC lower for the AI.

In short there are no sliders that work for anyone. I would recommend trying to call plays that are balance and avoid leaning on pass coverage slider and make the CPU run game have to be respected to make the game feel more real. However, adjust the sliders as needed but focus on pass coverage WR catch and QB ACC.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #83
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

I learn something new every time you post Oraeon1224! It's actually amazing.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 10-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #84
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
I can assure you WR catch has no effect on separation nor does pass reaction seem to effect running ability. Threshold adjustments have more effect then this. I would personally recommend keeping threshold near EAs base setting of 50. It really mucks with the game. I play at 45 to try to give HB a little boost. If you want an explanation of this slider go to my Threshold slider thread (it is information from EA back when they used to explain sliders).

...Pass reaction has no effect on M2M coverage, that I have witnessed....Reaction Time is about the quickness of players initiating movement to the ball carrier/receiver....In Zone defense the Higher the Reaction time, the quicker the defender responds to where the ball is thrown; inversely, the slower the defenders respond to the RB on a hand off....

I read your threshold explanation - based on speculation;...interesting but still not cold hard facts backed by EA.

PAss Coverage obviously works, on M2m Coverage...Good luck with showing solid results with zone...

I am testing with all player ratings, core and position specific ratings set at 70; thus all i am seeing is the effects of slider changes...without taking into account different player abilities.

Pass Coverage in itself is not consistent; the route run has a effect on separation too....

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 10-13-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #85
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

At this point, for CPU, I have everything at 50, except:

QB Accuracy: 25
Reaction Time: 60
Interceptions: 35
Tackle: 25

Speed Threshold: 50

IF - Oraeon1224's Threshold thread is correct in full, and 50 is the natural speed of all players; thus unmodified....I am assuming that all other sliders at 50 are the unmodified player rating values. There any variation in a slider is to adjust for EA's poor player ratings in certain categories...

I would then look at Penalty Sliders as a means to fine tune game play - I would look into a thread such as, "An epiphany about penalty sliders" which is here on the first page of the sliders page, and start making adjustments there on the base 50 HUM/CPU ratings....

I do lower my FG Accuracy rating to 30 and raise my Punt Accuracy to 75...

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 10-13-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #86
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
First I play on AllPro to avoid ratings boost which confuse things further.

CPU:
QB ACC: 32 (If WR Drops and CB DEFL are accurate it doesn't need to be so low)
WR Catch 43 (somewhere between 41 and 45)

HUMAN:
Pass coverage: 5 (lots of bad coverage but the AI needs help)
Pass Def Reaction Time: 30

For what to set against yourself that depends on your skill so I don't really make many recs there but you need WR catch around 33 for Human players to actually drop it (not sure why?). As someone else noted your combination of QB ACC and WR catch interact because bad passes are harder to catch.
Quote:
That looks solid.....and yes, AI needs all the help it can get...agreed
@Oraeon1224 & 4thQtrStre5S –

Thanks for all the explanations regarding these specific sliders! It makes a lot of sense and you’ve made it very intuitive. My question is….@4thQtrStre5s , you had mentioned that the scale of adjusting should be at a minimum: 25 with a maximum value at 75. I see that Oraeon1224 set his Pass Coverage at 5….I’m wondering, would we see more consistent results at 25?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #87
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi1
@Oraeon1224 & 4thQtrStre5S –

Thanks for all the explanations regarding these specific sliders! It makes a lot of sense and you’ve made it very intuitive. My question is….@4thQtrStre5s , you had mentioned that the scale of adjusting should be at a minimum: 25 with a maximum value at 75. I see that Oraeon1224 set his Pass Coverage at 5….I’m wondering, would we see more consistent results at 25?
Consistency to results, I could not say for sure - I do know that a QB Accuracy of 5 is the lowest you can go where the QB will actually throw passes on target...below 5 and all or close to all passes are way off target and incomplete.

The difference I know for sure between 5 and 25 is with precision passing; if you like to try and lead your receiver with precision passing, and your QB Accuracy is at 5, you are basically going to throw bad passes all day... With a QB Acc. of 25 you get a little more precision accuracy ability and that gets better as you increase QB Acc..

I have never used QB Acc @ 5 except in practice so someone else would need to provide their experiences in game with the base minimum of QB Acc of 5.

Oraeon1224 mentioned using human pass coverage at 5..I agree with that because there really is not much difference in human pass coverage until 5, then you actually see true separation...Now i must note, my tests are using player rating of 70 for all core ratings and position specific ratings...for with all ratings equal, it isn't until pass cover 5 that you see the receiver get separation....What is bad is, there doesn't appear to be a subtle or gradual decline in coverage, with all ratings equal; it is like everything is very much the same, and then you step off a cliff. 5 is the bare minimum rating I would suggest anyone use...though i still prefer to try and stay in between 25-75; it is to avoid extremes and also to allow the extras like precision passing and precision modifier to be viable.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 10-13-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #88
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Consistency to results, I could not say for sure - I do know that a QB Accuracy of 5 is the lowest you can go where the QB will actually throw passes on target...below 5 and all or close to all passes are way off target and incomplete.

The difference I know for sure between 5 and 25 is with precision passing; if you like to try and lead your receiver with precision passing, and your QB Accuracy is at 5, you are basically going to throw bad passes all day... With a QB Acc. of 25 you get a little more precision accuracy ability and that gets better as you increase QB Acc..

I have never used QB Acc @ 5 except in practice so someone else would need to provide their experiences in game with the base minimum of QB Acc of 5.

Oraeon1224 mentioned using human pass coverage at 5..I agree with that because there really is not much difference in human pass coverage until 5, then you actually see true separation...Now i must note, my tests are using player rating of 70 for all core ratings and position specific ratings...for with all ratings equal, it isn't until pass cover 5 that you see the receiver get separation....What is bad is, there doesn't appear to be a subtle or gradual decline in coverage, with all ratings equal; it is like everything is very much the same, and then you step off a cliff. 5 is the bare minimum rating I would suggest anyone use...though i still prefer to try and stay in between 25-75; it is to avoid extremes and also to allow the extras like precision passing and precision modifier to be viable.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm actually working on a slider set utilizing your theories & Oraeon1224's findings as well. I'm trying to find a set of sliders for each roster set that is available on the PS4 (FBG Rosters by SECElit3 & his crew along with EA's weekly rosters). I did my first set of tests with the FBG Rosters and found some pretty good results. One of the QB culprits for the sack issue for me in the past was Drew Brees. So I ran a set of tests using the Falcons and trying to see how many times I could get to Brees. After 3 revisions to my slider set, I managed to only get to Brees TWICE in one game versus previously getting to him 6 to 8 times before. Very encouraging indeed. I saved my twitch broadcast so I have did replays on both sacks and in my opinion (I'm no self-proclaimed expert on reading coverage) both sacks were coverage sacks. I may share the broadcast and the replays so you (or any fellow OS brethren) can check it out.

I will definitely share my slider set once I feel its ready...Just as any other slider set, it may work for me, but others may not like it...Oh the world of slider-itis. LOL!

Fyi for anyone interested, I will be testing my set as well trying to see how many sacks I can get on QBs like Big Ben Roeth & Locker...We will see how those go as well. I'm gettin' burnt out testing on Brees now! LOL!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »