Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread - Page 17 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

This is a discussion on Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 AM   #129
#AFL2K

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Reaction Time & Pass Cover Focus Thread

PLayed another of my pre-season games.

Bears back up QB went 28/45. Some misses, some drops I made an INT. Nice mix. Went short, but went long a bit and it didnt feel OP.

On my side of the ball, I found it hard to loosen up my receievers. Went 15/29 with Wilson, for a couple of TDs. My back up recievers are rubbish but I might mess around with the slider to loosen them up, maybe see some CPU blown coverage.

4thQ, what slider would you recommend I adjust?

My only concern at the moment is that all 3 of my games have followed the same pattern. Low scoring, opened up in the 4th Q and scores ended up in the 20s. Although I havent seen that this is common so Ill put it down to chance.

What is AFL Evolution and how do you play it?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #130
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I would be curious to see your sliders; as I have my Pass reaction at 60, and generally all my sliders are within a general range of no more than 15 points above or below 50, with the exception of QB Acc. & Tackle at 6.....Seems i could not determine a difference between Reaction time of 5 or 95...seems, from my observations, anything below 20/25 or above 75/80, is less predictable in it's outcome.....almost like the sliders work on a bell curve...even QB acc doesn't work until slider is at 5....But if 50 is true player ratings, then anything below or above 50 is altering the actual ratings..

I do find in my tests with a reaction time of 60, I get better zone pass coverage reaction to the ball, thus taking away the easy streak routes of TE's. The setting also results in a slower reaction to run plays which I prefer; I want the CPU to pull off consistent yardage so the CPU is a challenge.
You said that 50 reflects the actual ratings, but not for QB ACC and TACKLE?

What slider set are you running with right now?

Have you or anyone tried playing the game with all default 50 sliders for both HUM and CPU? Who knows, maybe that's what the game is truly designed to be run at ?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #131
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise
@ Last Gunfighter
Regarding pass coverage I saw playing the same game over and over that lower pass coverage means less sacks and of course better completion % by the CPU QB. I also think that pass coverage needs to be set in combination with DPI, facemask to make defenders to be able to break the catch.

About pass reaction I just reported what I saw and I also, play with pass reaction set low (5) and my defenders close well to the ball in both pass plays and run plays.

For the penalties: I read many posts here on OP and there is who thinks penalties don't affect the gameplay and who thinks they do. I believe what I see and think penalties impact the gameplay. For example, given a set of sliders skills I saw big differences in the running plays based on where I had holding, false start and offside set.

That said, this last week I hadn't the chance to play cause of work but tonight I can fire up the game and have some fun.
Hope everyone can find the best set to enjoy the game and replicate in the best way what we see on Sunday!
I hear you man and I think that is a big part of the problem with the sliders, the results aren't consistent. If they functioned consistently then you wouldn't have so many vastly different slider sets. Now of course sets will be different based on user skill and what people are personally looking to get from the game but there should be some general agreement as to how they work. The fact that we, as a group, cannot even universally agree on whether or not the penalty sliders affect gameplay says a lot. And it's not a question of people saying 'I think' they do or don't work, people are completely convinced one way or another. For example, you say you have seen them affect gameplay while some others have said "use whatever you want for penalties, they don't work anyway". I see the same issue with the Pass Reaction slider, some set have it high and insist that is where it needs to be to get quicker reaction to the ball while others have it set low and believe the exact opposite. There are even some who have it set at or close to default.

It sure would be nice if EA would at least just come out and say penalty sliders do or do not have an affect on gameplay, then we would know to just focus on the other sliders and accept that the penalty sliders do pretty much nothing. There are so many unknown aspects of tuning the game it becomes very tiring and frustrating and there seems to be a new theory every day. When Rushin came out with his video regarding the low Reaction/high coverage theory I bought into it and plugged in his sliders. I played about a half a season and was seeing some really great stuff and was enjoying the heck out of the game. Then the patch dropped and the game didn't play the same so I was forced to start looking for a new slider set again. He created a new set post patch but said they only worked with edited rosters. I for one do not want to get into the whole roster editing thing because the incoming rookies will screw it all up a few seasons in. So here I am trying weigh the merit of the multitude of opinions and theories on here to find a solid base set. I won't have a chance to play until Friday but I intend to plug in 4thQtr's sliders and see how they work. I like the way he thinks and he seems to have done a lot of testing and appears to have an excellent understand of the game in general. I also think his sliders may work well for me because he has admitted that like me his stick skills are a bit suspect. LOL, this is not me!

I applaud everyone who has put so much time and effort into unlocking the slider code and hope that we can all continue to work together and come up with, at the very least, a consensus on how each slider works and whether or not the penalty sliders really affect the gameplay.

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle 'Dixie'?" -The Outlaw, Josie Wales
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #132
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
You said that 50 reflects the actual ratings, but not for QB ACC and TACKLE?

What slider set are you running with right now?

Have you or anyone tried playing the game with all default 50 sliders for both HUM and CPU? Who knows, maybe that's what the game is truly designed to be run at ?
There are several sets based on the defaults, KCHuskey's come to mind but I'm not convinced this is the way to go. I think the problem with default is, if it works that default allows the players to play purely to their rating, then you have the issue with the ratings being so out of whack. If the ratings were accurate I think default may very well be the way to go but as we all know they are not. Hence the reason we have a forum dedicated to rosters. I believe we are forced to use the sliders to try and make up for the inaccuracies in the ratings. I think the majority of the issues in the game, sacks, stats, etc are ratings related. This is what has driven long time slider gurus like SEC to resort to roster editing to solve the problems, and from what he and others say the game plays vastly better with the edited rosters. However, as I stated in another, this is not an option for me and a lot of others because you can only play a couple of seasons before the rookies come in and hose the whole thing up. Just my .02, well, maybe more like a dime.

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle 'Dixie'?" -The Outlaw, Josie Wales
Old 10-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #133
Pro

kcsam's Arena

That's all great information. I appreciate your dime worth of info!

I am with you. I, too, am not into the roster editing side of the game. All that is is a band-aid. I want a permanent solution to the issues at hand.

It just blows my mind that EA continually releases this game with so many known flaws. Why should the people who purchase this product with their hard earned money have to be the ones to manipulate the roster file and toy with sliders that may or may not even affect certain aspects of game play?! So frustrating.

Unless we are able to uncover the holy grail of sliders, I think I am just going to continue with MLB The Show '14 until another company releases a football game or EA gets some fresh blood in there who actually care about the product that carries their name.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #134
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
PLayed another of my pre-season games.

Bears back up QB went 28/45. Some misses, some drops I made an INT. Nice mix. Went short, but went long a bit and it didnt feel OP.

On my side of the ball, I found it hard to loosen up my receivers. Went 15/29 with Wilson, for a couple of TDs. My back up recievers are rubbish but I might mess around with the slider to loosen them up, maybe see some CPU blown coverage.

4thQ, what slider would you recommend I adjust?

My only concern at the moment is that all 3 of my games have followed the same pattern. Low scoring, opened up in the 4th Q and scores ended up in the 20s. Although I havent seen that this is common so Ill put it down to chance.

What are your slider settings at the moment?

Generally for M2M coverage you want to lower the slider for Pass coverage to loosen coverage.
With zone coverage you want to Lower the Reaction Time; the adverse effect is, the zone defenders will react faster to run plays; at least that is what I have noticed.

Lowering Interceptions appears to reduce aggressiveness of the defense too, but I am not completely sure in what areas, if it is just the passing game or the run game also.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 10-15-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #135
Banned

I had played exclusively on Default sliders until Jarrod made his. I have a very very good feel for the differences. Penalties absolutely make a difference but must be combined with other sliders in the certain group to obtain your desired outcome.

I am currently using Jarrod's blue slider's with great results across the board. I would refer to those settings and use them to draw conclusions. If you have specific questions on relationships I'll check in tonight and read from here on to answer them but describing the whole kit & caboodle would take up my entire night & if there are improvements yet to be made I want to get playing time in to help figure them out.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #136
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingWiz
Hmmmm... Now this is concept that I would CERTAINLY NOT MIND testing in my lab. I grin as I consider all the variables to quantify, certainly one data set I would not mind plotting and crunching the numbers in my "spread - sheets"

But I digress... Glad to see that the community is coming around to discussing the PASS REAC/PASS COV sliders. For me, the crux of M15 is in the relationship between these two sliders in relation to PASS BLK, INT GRND penalty slider, and what the community is not even considering, the activation of the BALL HAWK option. And if that were not enough pins to juggle in the air.....

....you also have to factor in the impact of the "confidence" boost into performance when you compete a few passes in a row, and last let's not forget the difference in data points that you get when using EDITED QB attributes vs. NON-EDITED QB attributes.

And last, but CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, the skill level of an individual player DEFINITELY makes a difference. Personally, I change my defense at the line consistently, since I presume that the AI can "peek" at my cards when I select my base defense from the menu, and the AI most certainly picks an offensive play that can provide a good mismatch against my "D".... Soooo, what I do is pick a base D that can put all of my playmakers on the field, and then go "fists-of-fury" on my controller to set my zones, blitzes and press coverages. Tough to do against Peyton, but boy is it rewarding when I actually fool "AI Peyton" and get a pick six on his dumb _ss.

Look forward to reading some of the insights from the community on this worthy topic.
Get back in the huddle Wiz! On Madden or the women! Both would be great. As far as women goes, impossible to quantify but it's nice to know the answer is more than sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »