Home

Quinn's Sliders (Armor & Sword base set w/ tweaks)

This is a discussion on Quinn's Sliders (Armor & Sword base set w/ tweaks) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0
Quinn's Sliders (A&S base set w/ tweaks) SLIDERS COMPLETE

These sliders are FINAL. Everything is complete. I hope you have some great games with them. Also, some of the discussion in the OP may be out-dated as I've not edited anything in particular to that, but reading the initial post is still worth it, if you are trying these sliders out for the first time. I hope you enjoy them. By the way, IF EA makes any gameplay changes in the future that affect some sliders, I will be back to tweak them.

Okay, I thought hard about this as there are already a ton of different slider threads, and a few "elite" ones such as from posters like Armor & Sword, charter, and Blue Ninja. I've had multiple requests through PMs (too many) asking about my sliders based off of Armor's base v1.2 set (after discussing the sliders with Armor myself), and the tweaks I've made to them, that I personally made to cater to how I think the game should play. All credit goes to Armor & Sword for these sliders, because without his base set, I would not have tweaked the things I did on my own, so all thanks to him. I hope this is okay with the rest of the slider gurus out there.

One more thing, just know if these don't work out well for you, you can always tweak them to play a bit better for you. Best way to get some good sliders is a little tweaking from a base set to match your play. Also, I play on normal speed, not slow like A&S, and I mention that again in the slider portion of this post.

First, let me explain a few things different with these sliders first and foremost. I am not using the QB edits, but if you are, that shouldn't have a negative affect on these sliders at all.

I'm liking how the game plays with these sliders. The sacks happening often is just something you have to get used to, but I moved CPU pass blocking at 95 (update: now at 99) just to give that tiny little extra window from the user's CPU defenders from penetrating as quickly as they do (this slider at 95 is still important even after the tuner updates), but you'll still get pressure. Armor had it at 95, before he decided to edit QBs's characteristics (and at 85 at one point). Just know, that these might not work out for you, but you can still mess around with what I've done to them, as I've already messed around withe Armor's set.

Also, be careful with INTs as well, at 45 if the ball hits a defender in the gut, that "invisible wall" which makes them drop it, usually doesn't and it's a pick. So watch the defenders closely while reading through your progressions. Break out of the habit of forcing passes all the time to your receivers. Throw the ball away if nothing is there for you. Anyhow, there were too many dropped INTs for the User and CPU at Armor's 25, so going up on INTs I believe, is the right move.

The catching at 75 is a personal preference. You juuust don't see many dropped balls by wide open receivers in the NFL, not many at all. Remember, if you saw a half a dozen wide open drops in an NFL game by starting WRs, that is the exception, not the rule. It still just doesn't happen that much in a single game, and furthermore, it doesn't happen every other game played by these starting WRs either. Now, imagine playing all of your games in a full CFM and having 5-6 drops by your starting WRs when they are wide open. It is just unrealistic over the course of the season, when it happens time and time again in multiple games.

With that said, you do still see them in real life, and you WILL still see them at 75 as well (and the catching attributes still affect drops along side this slider), but you'll also see the usual pass breakups and drops when balls are caught in traffic and players hit, when defenders are draped on them. Just not so many drops now that it really skews your completion percentages in a seriously negative way.. for both the CPU and user.. we have the QB accuracy slider for that, set to 10.

Also, one thing I want to mention, just like with the INT slider being at 35, and from what I've seen has eliminated the "invisible wall" you'd see when the catch is not made, instead it hits them in the arms or hands for the drop. It is the same for 75 WR catching, you will not see that invisible wall which somehow causes your receivers to drop the ball, instead if they drop it, you'll see more hits in the hands or, arms if they are not in proper position for the catch. Just a cool thing to see, less "invisible wall" causing your drops. It could be a nitpicking thought, but it also adds just another smaller layer of realism to the game.. simulating a lack of concentration on drops perhaps, instead of that invisible wall that keeps you players from catching the ball.

The tackling being as low as it is from Armor's 35, is due to seeing more animations from the stout RBs in this league that usually do not always go down on first contact. Whether it is 1 on 1, or multiple defenders, a lot of times you just don't see a RB go down on initial contact THAT often, plus seeing the broken tackles adds more animations and makes the running game with the tackle-breaking RBs a bit better. I know this affects all players though, but I like where it is, especially for the RBs that can take multiple defenders on before going down. One thing I notice from people posting stats, is that CPU rushing numbers and YPC are always fairly low. This should help some with that.

Something to note, I find it easier to rush on normal speed as well, but it IS still challenging due to the increased pace. You still have to be patient and set up your blocks with the increased pace, making it more challenging than slow. On slow speed, the holes opening and closing up the middle happen a lot slower, making it less challenging, in my opinion. From my experience thus far, the CPU RB also seems to do better at running the ball on normal speed. Just a FYI on the nuances between slow speed and normal, from my play sessions thus far. The QB also seems to play a little quicker on the decision making on normal. Whether it being a scramble outside, or just getting the ball off a tad quicker. These are just some things I've noticed on normal speed. So take that into account, if you plan on trying these sliders. I think they should also play okay on slow speed though. I'll repeat it again, regarding the running game, you have to be more patient running than on slow, while everything is moving at a quicker pace, and you also have to set up your blocks with correct timing a little more carefully (even more challenging with the added momentum/weight of the player this year, especially when trying to achieve good cutting ability). It, in my opinion, is just a more reward experience running well on normal speed. Running on normal feels better to me, overall.

And basically, that's all I've changed (update: a lot more has been adjusted from what A&S has, since the original settings). Not much, but personal preferences where I think it should be, to see a little more realism. So, I hope they work out for you, if they don't you can always adjust, that's the best part. For any other slight tweaks I did not mention, just compare and contrast with Armor's set.

By the way, one more thing, I've seen people complain about taking too many sacks this year. This year especially, be sure to use your O-line protection adjustments pre-snap based on where you think the pressure may be coming from, or even going max protect if need be. It helps a lot. The pressure comes a bit faster at you on normal speed. So be sure to try and make those adjustments to pick up the pressure.

NOTE: Also, to anyone concerned with how these slider came to be. Armor and I bounced ideas about the certain settings off one another, using his thread a couple days after M15's release, chatting on his twitch stream during games about what we were seeing, we came to agreements on more than several of the slider adjustments that were made.

This was back when he had his version 1.1 and 1.2 sliders out, which was a while ago now. I honestly haven't seen what he has been using since then, since I took his great v1.2 set, then started making tweaks of my own, and then further more with tweaks, and this set is what came out as final for me. Some of it is still what Armor had with his v1.2 set, but anything that is close or even the same for some settings, was just Armor and I discussing the the best settings for that particular slider, and coming to agreement on the changes, or near-changes. I still give him all the credit for his base set though, as without it, I probably would have never even tweaked anything and found my own "perfect fit."

Armor's sliders are still just as good, in my opinion, or possibly better than mine, so you really can't go wrong. The differences that we do have in our sliders aren't probably going to make a huge change, but for me the tweaks I made and also made with the penalties (almost got them finished), has made the game so much more enjoyable for me.. minus the high amount of sacks sometimes. C'mon EA.. lol..

I also play with no assists and auto strafe off, on normal speed, All-Pro. 15 min quarters with a 12 second accelerated playclock, for a total of usually around 120-130 plays (NFL average). That play total can vary, depending on how the game is called by the user and CPU. But still, all of this is up to you to decide how to play regarding assists and such.

I also solely use the zoom cam and defensive cam while playing, for what it's worth. Another thing, I play on the normal visual aid settings, which means I do not use the visual tackle cone, only the QTE prompts (power and finesse moves) that take place when engaged with CPU players.

Gameplay Sliders:

Player Skill:

QB Accuracy - 10
Pass Blocking - 65
WR Catching - 75
Run Blocking - 50
Fumbles - 50
Pass Defense Reaction Time - 45
Interceptions - 45
Pass Coverage - 55
Tackling - 30

CPU Skill:

QB Accuracy - 10
Pass Blocking- 99
WR Catching - 75
Run Blocking - 60
Fumbles - 50
Pass Defense Reaction Time - 45
Interceptions - 45
Pass Coverage - 55
Tackling - 30

Special Teams Sliders:

FG Power - 50
FG Accuracy - 40
Punt Power - 45
Punt Accuracy - 50
Kickoff Power - 50

Game Options:

Injuries - 51
Fatigue - 60
Min Player Speed Threshold - 0

An opinion on the penalty sliders before you enter them, since I spent so much time slowly adjusting them after many games, to get some called in a various and more numerous manner.

One thing is for sure, after my extensive testing, and the PROOF from my full box score's stats, penalties are NOT like they were in M25 (directly affecting gameplay). It took a long time for a good set of M25 sliders, and really M25 sliders were truly never finished by anyone before M15 came out. So, I think it was much easier adjusting sliders this year without all the reversed and mixed up sliders like in M25. I also still have no belief after testing, that penalty sliders affect gameplay like they did in M25. You can check my write-ups and full box scores on pages 17, 18, 19, and 22 of my first 4 regular season games, I didn't do box scores for pre-season or play now. You will notice no drastic or rather noticeable affects on my stats, all while I kept adjusting penalty sliders up. This is not M25, people need to realize that. The sliders aren't really FUBAR this year, only the penalty sliders and the penalties being called are somewhat flawed, but not for ALL penalties, at least.

That's my opinion from extensive testing with the gameplay sliders, and slowly adjusting upward with the penalty sliders, all while getting plenty of games in. I don't know where some people have gotten the idea that they are the same again, this year. I am almost certain, most, if not all penalties in M15 do NOT directly affect gameplay this year. I've adjusted penalties over the course of all my games played, and the stats still come out believable in regard to the two teams that were being played.

Plus, the people that have decided so quickly how each penalty setting is affecting gameplay, in my opinion has no way had enough time testing, to make such a call on the penalty sliders affecting actual on-the-field gameplay this year. Last year, it took quite some time with M25 to figure what most of the penalty sliders affected, and then we still weren't entirely sure of what actually affected what. A lot of speculation, overall. This can also be applied to people speculating that gameplay sliders are either reversed or mixed up like last year in M25. I'm sorry, but I have NOT seen that, this year. This is not M25 all over again. The gameplay sliders, again after extensive testing, are fine this year for M15. Some slider people are over-thinking this too much for the gameplay sliders this year. Which is somewhat understandable, because like last year it was so screwed up, but this year seems okay.

Penalties ARE flawed this year no doubt, as they are not called often enough, and clipping and holding seem to be the worst with non-calls (still see holding calls though), but after going up in increments of 5 for a while now, and playing games, I've seen an increase in certain penalties and have had some games with various and numerous penalties called on both teams now after coming up with my own set of penalty sliders, for more penalties, fairly called for the most part.

The one thing is though, I still do believe the intentional grounding penalty (it being very low) still does affect the QB's ability to get rid of the ball quicker, that is just my opinion though. I've had less sacks since that change back to IG 1 (I went from 5 to 10 then to 5 again for a while), and have noticed the QB actually throwing the ball away with pressure directly in his face, or coming down on him, whether it be from a blitz or penetration from the D-line. It could just be me, but that is what I have noticed, thus far in my testing.

You will still probably see too many sacks on the CPU QBs from time to time, but that is on EA. We can't do anything more to alter that, in my opinion.

One more note on penalties, since I spent so much time slowly adjusting them, I have seen some great calls. For example, twice nice I've seen a D-line jump offsides when the QB fake-hikes the ball, the immediately hikes it, drawing the defensive offsides penalty. I've also see that called in the same game as an encroachment call on my defense. I have seen multiple CPU false starts, but not too many. I have seen the occasional holding calls, 1 or sometimes multiples in a single game every other game or so. I've had multiple facemasks calls, but no more than 3-4 in a single game.. sometimes 1-2. I've seldom seen clipping calls, but I have seen it called and I think clipping at 85 is the so-called sweet spot, but they do seem random, like holding calls. I had couple rough the passer calls in separate games, but I actually did take out the QB post-play (my fault), rather than slightly bumping into him (which you will see often in a single game at 51 or 52 RTP). I have yet to have the CPU get a roughing the pass call on me yet, though. Maybe after more games. So, all in all I worked as best as I could to get what penalties do work, working and being called on occasion, after I finished the gameplay sliders. I hope you see them called.

Penalty Sliders:

Offside - 99
False Start - 75
Holding - 99
Face Mask - 54
Defensive PI - 99
Offensive PI - 99
Punt Catch Interference - 50
Clipping - 99
Intentional Grounding - 1
Roughing Passer - 50
Roughing Kicker - 50

Auto-subs developed and tested by aholbert32. All credit goes to him.

You just set these up inside your CFM. Click on the Roadmap tiles under your team page to access the auto-subs menu.

NOTE: aholbert32's original auto-sub for the RB in/out at 78/82 was changed by me after consulting with him on how to go about getting the backup RB a few more carries before the starter returns. He suggested and in/out range of 78-80/90. I chose to use 78/90. This MAY change in the future, but I'm using it currently.

Auto-subs settings:

QB Out - 0
QB In - 3
RB Out - 78
RB In - 90
WR Out - 30
WR In - 35
FB/TE Out - 30
FB/TE In - 35
OL Out - 0
OL In - 3

DT Out - 50
DT In - 55
DE Out - 50
DE In - 55
LB Out - 50
LB In - 55
CB Out - 30
CB In - 35
S Out - 30
S In - 35

Last edited by Shon 23; 10-13-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Quinn's Sliders (Armor & Sword base set w/ tweaks)

Awesome stuff Quinn. You have been right there on twtich giving great feedback to me.

I may give your set a run tonight! Normal speed and no QB edits, pass block at 95 has me curious!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 09-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Awesome stuff Quinn. You have been right there on twtich giving great feedback to me.

I may give your set a run tonight! Normal speed and no QB edits, pass block at 95 has me curious!
Thanks man, I really didn't want to post this as your slider set was the base, and the only reason why I'm having some good games, but I kept getting questions on my tweaks, so I figured the heck, I'll just throw them up on the board for anyone to try out.

They are still pretty much in tune with how you have your current sliders set up, but just tweaks here and there. Then the bigger changes, is just a different belief in gameplay philosophy (like 90 catching and more INTS). So, they are up now and people can use them how they see fit, or do what I did and tweak them for themselves to play around their own strengths and weaknesses. They may get or be too easy, or not, but they are available to anyone now.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I have been thinking long and hard about catch to 90 as well ever since you mentioned it. I agree with you on that. I just want to make sure the games stay balanced in regards to QB%. But in the end it's about how the game plays period.

Normal speed is what has me very curious though. May just try normal speed with my set to start and see what happens. I also don't want to use the QB edits in my proper CFM. I go 4-6 seasons deep in my CFM and the edits will be worthless by year 3 or 4.

Just waiting for that big patch + mizzou's re-rated 53 man roster to start my true CFM.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 09-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I have thinking long and hard about catch to 90 as well ever since you mentioned it. I agree with you on that. I just want to make sure the games stay balanced in regards to QB%. But in the end it's about how the game plays period.

Normal speed is what has me very curious though. May just try normal speed with my set to start and see what happens. I also don't want to use the QB edits in my proper CFM. I go 4-6 seasons deep in my CFM and the edits will be worthless by year 3 or 4.

Just waiting for that big patch + mizzou's re-rated 53 man roster to start my true CFM.
Yeah, I hear you about the QB edits ending up being worthless in a long running CFM. That is unfortunate, that we can't edit rookies if EA doesn't plan on fixing the sack issues this year. For WR catching and INTs, I just hate using the "invisible wall" as a way to counter-balance out stats. At least with INTs, the more you play the game and get used to reading the defense, the better you are at avoiding the INTs.

With WR catching at 90, I just go back to watching all the games I've seen in real life and you never really see that many drops on wide open receivers, but you are right, we don't want super high completion percentages either. I believe that is where the QB accuracy comes into play some though. The elites will throw well (maybe an errant pass every once in a while) against mediocre teams and not do terrible or struggle too much against pretty good defenses, the above average QBs should have pretty good games with a few errant passes here and there, but not dominate totally, and the lower-tiered QBs should struggle with errant passes more often and not have too much of a chance against a good defense. If it's a lower-tiered QB against somewhat equal competition, I'd like to see some balance though, but their defense has to play well too, that's where the INTs come in, and puts the offense back on the field. I do believe QB accuracy at 10 is the best balance you came up with. It just seems QBs play differently in different games when it comes to their decision making on throwing the ball, but 10 is a good way to balance out the lower-tiered QBs from the above average, to the elite, in my opinion.

That is my opinion on all those changes anyway.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-04-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Love where you're going with these, very very close to what I'm looking for from this game. Awesome job, too all of you guys really, I know how difficult if can be.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Love where you're going with these, very very close to what I'm looking for from this game. Awesome job, too all of you guys really, I know how difficult if can be.
Yep, I think if these sliders don't work out for people, there is a balance somewhere in between maybe these and Armor's current set, that will play to your liking. Or these may work just fine, as well as Armor's current set. Like I previously mentioned, taking a base set and adjusting it here and there, you may find it plays pretty good for you. You end up liking how it plays out. So don't be afraid to tweak if you think you should.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Sweet. Your sliders are pretty close to mine. The only thing that I really differ with you on is on WR Catching and PI Penalties. I'm not sure if the penalties have an adverse effect on game play so I actually have all of my penalties close to default (between 50-55). I believe I'm within 5-10 of your sliders on everything else.

Also, I'm not using the QB edits and I don't know if it's because I changed PI from 99 to 50, but in the past 4 games I'm only averaging 2 sacks per game, which I'm extremely happy about... Especially since I had 22 in my first 2 games. The only thing that I know that could've really changed things that much was the PI slider.

My biggest problem now is finding away for my D to tighten up Zone's a little bit and to actually guard the flats. If I can fix that and get the QB completion percentages down a little bit, I should be set.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »