Home

My eyes are opened...The real way to play "no switch".....(hint, PLAYER LOCK feature)

This is a discussion on My eyes are opened...The real way to play "no switch".....(hint, PLAYER LOCK feature) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Rookie

Sm27's Arena

OVR: 5
Lightbulb My eyes are opened...The real way to play "no switch".....(hint, PLAYER LOCK feature)

I have been playing Madden for over 16 years now. Some of you may remember me from Madden 2005. Myself and Brit Pitbull wrote something called "The Manifesto" for Madden 2005. We literally "wrote the book" on using little discussed features and sub-menu settings in order to get the game to play as realistically as possible. "The Manifesto for Madden 2005" really changed the game for literally thousands of players. It was a labor of love that utilized at least 20 different contributors at Madden Mania for testing, and when it was finished, the game was actually playable, the CPU would actually run the ball, and each team played according to their different head coach's style and player ratings, as well as fixing the sim engine during Franchise play.
I have attached the original "Manifesto" document to this thread for your perusal.

I say all this just to give you a little background...now on to the matter at hand...."no switch?" What is it and why play this way?

Playing against the CPU:
The reason for playing "no switch" is that when you "switch defenders" after the snap, and then again once the play is in motion, you have an unfair and unrealistic advantage that the CPU can't compete with. You are sitting there like God, with your overhead view of the entire field of play, mashing button's and engaging game "boosts" to the selected player every time you switch. If your like me, during the course of one play, it is conceivable that I could "switch defenders" 2 or 3 times before the play ends. Not to mention the fact that after an hour of playing, and 90+ plays, I am about to lose the game, and my competitive core personality just CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN, so I will be switching defenders as many times as necessary to insure I don't lose.

No amount of slider adjustment can compete with the unfair advantage the HUM player has in this scenario. I watch guys beating their heads against the wall trying to develop slider combinations that will offset this unfair advantage, and you can see some real heavy slider adjustments trying to compensate for this.

You always end up with HUM TKL or INT (among others) dropped way the hell down, or CPU RUN BLK juiced to "weaken" or "compensate" for the unrealistic set of circumstances of you being able to switch defenders from your perch on high. Sometimes reducing these sliders to a point that is crazy. Through my years and years of playing this game, testing this game, and going through each years version of problems, I have come to believe that the more slider adjustment you do, the worse it gets. By adjusting one thing drastically in any direction plus or minus, you end up with 14 other "issues" that now need to be addressed. The further away from "50" you go in either direction on any slider results in more need for adjustments in other areas. I always hear about guys wanting the game's players to "play to their ratings". As long as the HUM player has the ability to play God during the coarse of a play, that will never happen.

Let me for a moment use the TKL slider as an example.This particular slider every year seems to be a favorite for reduction.
The TKL slider affects more than just what happens when a defender is in direct contact with on offensive player. It is also what happens BEFORE contact is made, as well as what happens AFTER contact is made and the resulting animations that occur.

What exactly does the "TKL" rating encompass in an individual player's rating anyway?
From what I can see, it is the resulting factor of a number of other ratings like STR and AWR to use just those two as an example. STR for what happens AFTER contact, and AWR for what happens BEFORE contact (the angle a defender takes to get to the ball carrier, good angle = good AWR, bad angle = bad AWR).

So now what is happening when we try to lower that TKL slider drastically (anything +/- 1 to 5 points)?

Before contact, it is affecting the defender's ability to get into good positions to attack the ball carrier, shed blocks, pick a good path to the ball carrier and take a good angle to get there. After contact it is affecting what animations are deployed and which tackling technique animation is rendered, as well as the ability to separate the ball carrier from the ball....and that is just BRIEFLY scratching the surface of what is going on. Just that one RTG, and that one slider, has numerous effects on other animations, playability, and whether the player is "playing to his ratings" or being juiced or reduced in some fashion by the TKL slider's +/- setting.

The animations that are rendered in game, and the frequency that they occur for any aspect of this game, (a subject for another thread) are what the "sliders" are all about. All the sliders do is dictate to the CPU the frequency of the many different animations....Like I said, the subject of another thread.

But I digress... back to the matter at hand....

Playing "No Switch"
Using only one player for the duration of any given play from pre-snap till the whistle blows ending the play.

Now that we have a little background on some of the reasons that are beneficial to playing this way on Defense, let me enlighten you as to a discovery I have found that has completely changed and enriched playing this game for me...Every animation in the game is displayed absolutely beautifully, the game plays smoother and sweeter than any thing I have ever seen in previous Madden versions, the camera angles are stunning and NEVER boring, and the vast number of challenges and feast of playable variety in each and every game that you play is unequalled.

PLAYER LOCK.
What is it?
The ability to lock on a selected player on a "per play" basis IN GAME by selecting him before the ball is snapped, and not have the ability to switch off of that player until the play is over. Just so you know, every drill in the "Skills Trainer" that you engage in, you are forced to use "Player Lock".

Why use this overlooked and least talked about feature?
Simply put, after 16 years of playing the various versions of Madden Football vs the CPU in the same fashion that myself and most other guys play the game, the game had become stale to me. I got tired of just trying to "win" and had become sick of the many "house rules" I had to be disciplined enough to engage in in order to find the game satisfying. It sort of became an exercise in "eating your vegetables" just to get through a game. That seemed like such an utter waste to me, considering the fact that this years version of the game, more than any other, had finally gotten to be the Madden I had always frustratingly wished for out of the box, and tried to develop with 1000's of hours of "testing" and "adjusting" to the point of frustration. I had long since already reached the point of gaining any personal satisfaction from a "balanced" set of sliders. The camera angles had become boring, the game still seemed "jerky jerky" to me in it's movements.

I always had wished that the game was as silky smooth in it's animations in "Play Now" and "Franchise Mode" games as it always seemed to be in "Practice Mode" games. That has always bugged me... I always thought that the reason the frame rate wasn't as good in "Game Mode" as it was in "Practice Mode" was because the CPU needed to keep DSP resources in reserve because it had to have those resources available for unforeseen HUM button pushes to instantly render the desired compliment of animations, for whatever player position has in it's individual compliment of animations.
I needed something more, and I have found it.

How do you make it work?
1.) Before the ball is snapped, highlight a selected player (any player on Defense, any potentially eligible "ball handler" on Offense, QB, HB, FB, TE, WR).

2.) Select a player by holding down the "circle" button while you move the highlighted area with the D pad. Once you have a player selected, Click L3 (press and click the left stick on PS4).

Offense:
Whichever player you have selected, QB, HB, FB, TE, WR, you are now responsible for his "assignment" on that play. The CPU now runs all of the other positions on that play just like it is running all of the positions on the CPU controlled defensive side of the ball.

Just think for a second about what that means in all of the ways that opens up the game for you...

Select QB before the snap:
Pass Play...
Player lock onto the QB before the snap (click L3), snap the ball and pick a WR, TE, or RB to throw to.

The pass receiver's ratings, how open or not open he is, and how well you placed or threw the pass determines what he does if/after he catches it... Does he run for 6? Does he fumble the ball on the tackle? Does he drop the pass? Does he get hurt? How does he catch it? All of these results are now dependent on the receiver's ratings vs the defender's ratings and your ability to put the right pass in the right spot using the right throw to the right receiver. Can you avoid the pass rush? Did you get hit while attempting the throw? Once the ball is in the air, just like in real life, you are dependent on your teammate's abilities (ratings) on the other end for the results. Added bonus and the thing that really surprised me was what the camera does after you throw the ball. I won't spoil it for you by explaining it. I will let you have the same "AHA" moment that I did the first couple of times I did it.

Running Play...
Player lock onto the QB before the snap (click L3), snap the ball.
Now the CPU hands off the ball to your HB or FBand runs the play. It's all about the play selection and the ratings now. Matchups along the line, HB "RB ABL" (vision) rating etc...You are the Coach (you selected the play) you are the QB (you snapped it and handed it off), it's now up to your teammates. Bonus Challenge; Can your QB throw a block on the counter play? Try it!

Select HB before the snap:
You are now strictly responsible for the HB's assignment on the selected play.

Running Play...
Read your blocks, run the ball. If your O line is sucking your gonna get pissed. Pay attention to the ratings of your O line/ FB/TE. If the O line ratings are better than the ratings of your O line on one side as opposed to the other, call plays that go that way, look for a crease and sneak through. Get on your FB's butt and follow him through the hole. The whole key here is "EXECUTION". Don't just sit there using the "sprint" trigger. BE A RUNNING BACK and move the ball. Run the play as designed.

Passing Play...
Is the Defense blitzing?
Stay in and block instead of adjusting the PBLK slider to compensate.

Motion before the snap by simply moving your "locked" player using the L Stick.

Are you an eligible receiver in the selected play?
Run the route and wave for the ball when open. (press the HB Receiver Icon on your controller and he will stick his arm in the air to say "I'm Open!")
Your QB's ratings and the degree to which he is under pressure will determine if the ball comes your way, and if it is a good throw or not. Catch the ball using the "user catch" options and run with it.
All of those "HB Screen Plays" aren't all money plays now. YOU have to get out into the field and get away from those pass rushing lineman so your QB can get the ball off before he eats it.
If it get's picked off, you are now a defender. Tackle or strip the ball.

Select FB before the snap:
Running Play...
Running game not been going well so far in the game? Take control of the FB and correctly block for the HB. Contain the LB/DL on the outside so your HB can turn the corner, or stick it to a LB on a trap/gap play and let your HB cut off your butt. Be the aggressor!

Passing Play...
Eligible receiver or a "FB Flare" play?
Run your route and call for the ball.
Stay in and block if you want to to keep your "fancy pants" QB's jersey clean and buy him more time to throw.
I never thought that playing FB in a video game could be so fun or interesting.
You can play a whole freaking game on offense as a Fullback and not get bored.

Select TE before the snap:
Running Play...
Motion before the snap by simply moving your TE to the right spot for the given play. Is a defender moving with you? The defense is showing you that, pre-snap anyway, that guy is in MAN CVG. If you have a Run play called, perhaps you want to audible to a pass? Or maybe you want to audible the running play to the other side? Or maybe you want to just motion the TE to one side and then bring him right back to his original spot right before the snap.

If it's a run, execute your locked TE's blocking assignment and BLOCK. What IS his actual blocking assignment?..it might not be just the LB or OL player that is directly in front of him. Pay attention to what the indicated play actually has indicated for his blocking assignment. Snap the ball, run the play, hope that your teammates do their jobs...Don't get called for Holding or False Start.

Passing Play...
Release off of the line and run your route. Do your best not to get bumped off your route or jammed by a LB. That will throw the whole timing of the play off on offense. If everybody else is covered, your QB might have take a sack or have to throw the ball away, all because you can't run a route any better than your sister. Wave for the ball. Catch the ball if it comes your way. If the throw is off, don't let that smelly beast of a LB pick it off

Select WR before the snap:
Passing play...
Don't get jammed up at the line or bumped off of your route, release and run your designed route as best you can. Call for the ball if open, user catch the ball if it comes your way. Run a "pick" for another crossing receiver and don't get called for Offensive Pass Interference, for that matter, don't get called for OPI for any reason!

Running play...
BLOCK!
Show the CPU how a WR is SUPPOSED to block on the outside..For that matter just TRY to block given the low BLK ratings that WR's usually have. Get it done boy! RB breaking through the line? Run downfield and throw that key block that allows him to take it for 6!

DEFENSE:
Select LE/RE before the snap:
Passing Play...
RUSH THE PASSER! Swim/Slap/Bull your way through the OT.
Are you being double teamed? TOO BAD! If you can't get to the QB, jump to try and block the pass.

Running Play...
Play Action? OOPS the RB just ran right past you...chase him down and realize that you are now gonna be on the ESPN highlights tonight for being an idiot. Really starts to make you think about just rushing the passer on every play, doesn't it? QB Contain Play? you BETTER contain the QB! One of the beautiful things about Player Lock is that you can't switch defenders mid-play to correct a bad choice you made before the ball was snapped.

Select DT before the snap:
Running Play...
Don't let that damned O line steer you where THEY want you to go opening up holes for the RB's or steering you into Double Teams.
You want to talk about feeling helpless? Just get trapped or double teamed on one running play and watch the opposing HB run right past you for a big gain. You are sitting there trying to release from the engaged OL to fill the hole and you can't. Once the RB get's past you, chase him. It will really piss you off when a LB hit's you on the way. Keep trying to play with this DT for at least one series of downs. Watch how ineffective you feel when you get tired, can't get off blocks effectively, and the opposing coach realizes it.

Pass Play...
Rush the passer!
Don't get called for Roughing The Passer if he get's the ball off before you get there.
If he is a mobile QB be careful he doesn't take off, you will be chasing him with your fat *** 6.46 40YD time watching him run away, praying that your SS or LB will catch him and knock his block off. As in all the rest, your teammates now have to cover for your ineptitude...Aren't you glad you left that HUM TKL slider at default now?
If you continually are getting DT'd, try to time a jump to swat the ball while you are face to face with a sweaty RG/RT.

Select OLB/MLB before the snap:
Pass Play...
Coverage? Can you play Zone? Can you run with Gronk on a pass play Man to Man? Can you not get called for DPI or Defensive Holding on that TE that just keeps burning you all day when you try to jam him at the line? If the CPU called one of those damn TE "Seam" plays and your in zone, try to Man up with the TE as he is motoring through your zone, If it's Jimmy Graham, you BETTER get on your horse!

Running Play...
Which gap are you supposed to fill on the O Line when your DT steers a Guard in the direction he is supposed to? Missed your assignment? Your Defense now has to stay on the field because you didn't execute your assignment to plug the gap you were supposed to plug and instead tried to be all Lawrence Taylor and rush the passer because your a glory boy and not a blue collar guy. Just do your damn job! oh, by the way, Play Action? HA-HA-HA! How many times do you fill the gap thinking it's a running play and have the QB just gently drop the ball to the TE in to the spot you just vacated in the second tier?

Select CB before the snap:
Pass Play...
So you think you can play Madden huh? Think your a real man? you only play on "ALL MADDEN" because the CPU just doesn't give you a challenge?
Try THIS position on for size on Default Pro for starters.

First of all, those "Coverage Drills" in the trainer really aren't just "filler" that you never bother to mess with after the first couple of days every year when you get the game and get bored with them because you always let the CPU attempt to cover the opposing WR's.
Second of all, for everybody that whines about DB's not covering receivers because "the sliders are broke", it's time to ante up and kick in like men. Play CB for a series or two. Number one, it's a real challenge to stay with your man. If you are trying to Jam him at the line, I guarantee you are gonna get smoked. If you play off, you give him a running start to give you a move or a double move and blow right past you. The next thing you know you are "playing it safe" and playing all of your coverage over the top. The result is now the WR is just playing a relaxing game of catch with the QB on play after play and your about to get benched. It takes real practice to get good at this. You will feel like a complete idiot, trust me. Try to take away the other team's best receiver and force the QB to look elsewhere.
On the other hand, it is so rewarding just to be able to stay with a guy and not get burned. Just like in the NFL, when it comes to playing CB, you have to have a "short memory" from play to play because you WILL give up some catches and some TD's. You have to forget about the play before and remain confident that you can stop anybody like Nightrane Lane.

Running Play...
Recognize it's a run at the snap and don't get blocked out of the play when that FB is coming out to knock you on your ***. If the play went to the other side, chase it down and don't get creamed on the way by those LB's. Can't manage to shed even that WR blocking you?... That's right, put the CPU RBLK Slider back to default and call me in the morning. If you are going against some of these modern day 6' 5" WR's it's rewarding enough just to get off of a block, much less cover them on their route AND interrupt their catch as they blaze past you down the sideline into the Hall of Fame at your expense.

Select SS/FS before the snap:
Pass Play...
Ok, so everybody knows your not as fast or nifty as the CB's on your team and you can't go step for step with 70% of the WR's in the league. Your too small to play LB and too slow for CB, But you still should be able to stay with that oaf of a TE after your OLB bites on the PA right? What? you bit on it too? Tough luck, that's another 6 points because you didn't read your keys and just went for the ball because you think your Ronnie Lott or something. The CB tried to cover your *** and chase him down from behind because you got stuck up in the line with the hogs, but that 265lb TE just swatted off your CB like a fly and lumbered his way into the End Zone. Better start reading your "keys" that the coach is always going on and on about or your gonna end up in the Canadian League.

Closing Notes, Added Bonuses
This is already WAAAY too long of a post, and I thank you for sticking through to the end with me. The fact is there are so many other ins and outs and details to talk about in playing Madden this way, that I just could go on writing about it for another two hours.

Without elaboration, here are some things to consider:
1.) You only control one player at a time on every single play.
That means that the CPU is literally playing against itself at all other positions on Offense or Defense. From a Player Ratings point of view, this is heaven. WHO you have on your team really matters. From a Strategy point of view, the plays you call, and the audibles you run pre-snap can kill you if you make the wrong choice given the mathematical facts of one player's ratings, vs the opposing player's ratings, in their individual match ups. Repetitious calling of "money plays" will be punished.

2.) Fatigue
It actually matters now. You will discover that when you try to get off of blocks later in the game, or tackle a fresh off the bench HB/FB .

3.)Strategy
You can't make up for bad play calling by constantly switching up players on Defense to instantly make up for a stupidity pre-snap. Other than the one player you are controlling, you have to "dance with the one that 'brung ya'" concerning plays.

2.) Graphics
As I stated previously, once you click on Player Lock, it seems to free up DSP resources in the the CPU and the smoothness and graphic fluidity is unmatched. It is really beautiful.

3. Field Context
Play CB for a little while. You really get to see the context of the size and speed of the players in relationship to the field and each other.

4.)Over/Under Throws, Erratic Passes, Coverage Sacks
These are rendered much more frequently by the CPU QB it seems.
Play DB and take away the primary Receiver or bump a guy off his route, and your teammates playing on the Dline have a better chance of getting to the QB without you artificially doing your patented Swim Move to get to the QB. So you can get sacks by being an effective Cornerback...Who woulda' thunk it?

5.) A better way to play Coach Mode if you really want to.
On offense, select a player pre snap that isn't the QB and not the primary receiver, snap the ball, and the CPU will run the play, to include the pass from the QB. Same thing on Defense. Select a DB and don't move him after the ball is snapped and the CPU will run the play.

6.) Sliders.
Pick a level, leave them alone at Default to get started.
For myself, I am playing on All Pro Default Slow, with 12 min Quarters, 20 Second Runoff Accelerated Clock.

If there is some aspect of the game that really bugs you, then go ahead and make a slight tweak of 1-5 points. Just remember that every adjustment you make is affecting 19 other things and making the CPU work harder in it's calculations on which animations to render. If you really want super smooth play, with varying outcomes that don't feel scripted, let the game play as it was designed. The more adjustments you make to the sliders, the less the game will render the varying degree of 100's of animations it was intended to render. If your killing the CPU then go up to the next level. If the CPU is killing you, go down to the one below whichever level you are getting killed on. Try to do your best to keep the sliders intact wherever possible. If you just cannot be stopped on the Pass Rush because you are the Armchair Version of JJ Watt, then don't play as a DE. Play as a CB, LB, or Safety. Let your Dline do their jobs.

6.) Variety, never bored.
There is always another challenge in playing in this mode. Perfect the art of playing Man to Man. Perfect the art of Blocking. Perfect the art of plugging holes as a LB. Perfect the art of double teaming a hot receiver by just DOING IT instead of telling the CPU to do it with coverage audible pre-snap. Depend on your teammates to do their jobs.

It's a whole new game for me...I hope some of you other guys discover what I have. For sure I will discover some deficiencies that will need to be compensated for in some fashion, but for me, this is the way I am playing Franchise Mode from now on.

I hope to hear some feedback to what you guys think.
Cheers,
SM27
Attached Files
File Type: doc Final Manifesto Complete Document[1].-2.doc (367.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Sm27; 09-01-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Rookie

slayter's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: My eyes are opened...The real way to play "no switch".....(hint, PLAYER LOCK feat

Ah, The Manifesto. I played '05 well beyond its normal expectancy thanks to you guys.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: My eyes are opened...The real way to play "no switch".....(hint, PLAYER LOCK feat

Played 2 games like this with my Eagles CFM only changing penalty and fatigue/injury/special teams sliders. I have had fantastic games playing this way and it is nice to see some of the games natural animations coming out. I have been using the QB (of course) on offense and Walter Thurmond (SS) on defense. Playing this way really makes you pick your throws carefully as you know you can't just save it with the WR. It's also nice to see some of your playmakers doing making plays in the open field or snagging a great catch. Defense for me is a lot more challenging now seeing as the Eagles secondary is far from great. I had to watch helplessly one game as ODB was torching Maxwell the entire first half, had to double team him in the second to force Eli into harder throws. That game ended with me scoring a TD with 1 minute left to make it 35-31. The Giants drove all the way down the field for an epic goal line standoff in which maxwell stepped up and deflected a pass for the win (he made up for the first half). Definitely enjoyable to play this and I think I still might make very minor slider adjustments but I am going to wait a few more games before deciding that.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Rookie

catfish9-5's Arena

OVR: 6
Wink Re: My eyes are opened...The real way to play "no switch".....(hint, PLAYER LOCK feat

I love the player lock concept on defense, but do not like the camera angle. I wish you could player lock and stay on standard. I really try not to switch on defense but get button happy at times. My son laughs at me the way I press buttons. Get em down by any means necessary as long as your head is up. Enjoyed reading op and gonna give the offense lock a try while waiting for patch. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Rookie

Sm27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish9-5
I love the player lock concept on defense, but do not like the camera angle. I wish you could player lock and stay on standard. I really try not to switch on defense but get button happy at times. My son laughs at me the way I press buttons. Get em down by any means necessary as long as your head is up. Enjoyed reading op and gonna give the offense lock a try while waiting for patch. Thanks again.
Thanks for reading!
It ended up being a lot longer post than I had planned, but once I got going.....

The Camera angle on Defense is something I really enjoy because it is completely fluid. It is just sooo silky smooth.

It can be unnerving when a guy get's past you though...Not just for the reason that you just got beat, but the fact that you just got owned is further emphasized because the camera swings around to follow the ball carrier as you are reading the his name plate on his back.

The defensive camera angle / position player I am having the most fun with right now is playing either the RCB or the LCB. Before the ball is snapped the camera is on the sideline with your CB in between the camera and the ball, allowing you to peak into the backfield and watch for PA, Run, or Pass. I swear to god I am absolutely the WORST at biting hard on PA. That is usually how the CPU burns me. You are far enough away that the QB making the run fake really get's you to bite...At that point I am now beat and the ball is suddenly in the air on it's way to the DB I WAS covering but is now running free down the sideline. I literally hear the words "oh ****" come out of my mouth when it is clear that he is now throwing it to the WR I was covering as I get on my horse to hopelessly try to catch him.

The other really cool thing is when you are covering the WR and because of your brilliant blanket coverage, you see the QB start to run for his life as your defense sacks him.

On Offense is where it really shines though. Play a few series of downs as a blocker or a receiver. Try to run the intended route and catch the ball. Or set that key block that releases your RB. Nothing more satisfying than blocking down on a DL or LB as your RB runs by you and out of the shot. You have no idea exactly how far he got downfield or if he got stuffed until you hear the crowd erupt and you watch the replay and look at the down and distance on the scoreboard bug on the screen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
Rookie

Sm27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPhlyZone
Played 2 games like this with my Eagles CFM only changing penalty and fatigue/injury/special teams sliders. I have had fantastic games playing this way and it is nice to see some of the games natural animations coming out. I have been using the QB (of course) on offense and Walter Thurmond (SS) on defense. Playing this way really makes you pick your throws carefully as you know you can't just save it with the WR. It's also nice to see some of your playmakers doing making plays in the open field or snagging a great catch. Defense for me is a lot more challenging now seeing as the Eagles secondary is far from great. I had to watch helplessly one game as ODB was torching Maxwell the entire first half, had to double team him in the second to force Eli into harder throws. That game ended with me scoring a TD with 1 minute left to make it 35-31. The Giants drove all the way down the field for an epic goal line standoff in which maxwell stepped up and deflected a pass for the win (he made up for the first half). Definitely enjoyable to play this and I think I still might make very minor slider adjustments but I am going to wait a few more games before deciding that.
Awesome!
It has opened up a whole new sense of realism for me because it really is about being part of a team instead of playing god. If you are focused on your assignment, half the time the play ends up being out of the shot, so you are in suspense as to what the result of the play actually was for a few seconds.

Play a whole game as anybody BUT the QB on Offense...TE, HB, FB, WR. It will be a different Madden experience than you have ever had, guaranteed.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yes, defense Player Lock!
I absolutely love that they added back (last year) the Defensive player lock camera angle that I played the crap out of for many years in the NCAA series. I agree with the OP that it completely changes the gameplay, and it is now the only way I can play defense. Plus with the new WR/DB interactions it is even better now.

It definitely makes playing defense harder as you really do have to make sure you pay attention to your playcalls. You can't make up for mis-alignments or bad play calls with crazy user stick skills that only work because you get a bird's-eye view of all the action. Once you get used to it and understand the job of "your" player in that D scheme, you can affect things with good user skills, but only if your teammates also do THEIR jobs as well. And if you screw up YOUR assignment and the offense puts up 6, man there is no worse feeling in the world.

I definitely encourage anyone who is messing with sliders to try and get a more competitive game from The CPU offense to try it out.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

See, I am so sucky at this game I cannot switch players mid-play. Every time I do I screw something up, like pulling defenders off their coverage. When I try to run the HB, I always run worse than the AI does running him since I can't seem to pull off any cool moves. I wish I were as talented as you all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »