JoshC1977's M17 Sliders - Page 316 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's M17 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #2521
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
The 8-8 Racial Slurs that stumbled into playoffs and won their wildcard matchup, came to ATL with nothing to lose, except the game, as My Falcons gave a beatdown at home 50-12. After having 7 turnovers and 2 losses to end season; I had a 0 turnover game and dominated on both sides of ball. NFC Champ game will bring Panthers to ATL for 3rd matchup of season. AFC Champ game will be Steelers and Bengals.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Sorry for the double post! Accidentally hit submit before I typed my message.

I ask because I myself am Native, my wife is Native, and well obviously my children are Native.

Since I was a young child my grand parents and parents taught me about the origins of the name "Redskin" -- It was actually created by my ancestors, the Illinois - a tribe in a place called "Illinois Country". We wanted to distinguish ourselves from Europeans. They were "white", some were "brown" and we became "red" but the first translations were Illinois->French, so it became "redflesh" or "redskin".

I just wanted to reply that some of us Natives take pride in who we are and our heritage. Our tribal lands are very, very poor. Most of us are well below poverty and suffer from substance abuse. There are very little Native politicians, athletes, and heroes -- our heroes are from stories our grandparents tell us. The Washington Redskins is the same as saying "Washington Native Americans" and my family and friends grew up with this being our favorite team because it represented our peoples. Sports teams with tribal names are really all us poor Natives have to look up to in professional sports and we take a lot of pride in these names.

It is very offensive that you call it "racial slurs" to me, my wife, my children, my family, and my friends. It degrades our history's and assumes that us Natives are too stupid to decide what is offensive or not, so we need non-tribesmen to tell us. Though to be fair, I am assuming you're not a Native and I apologize for this assumption if I am incorrect.

Thanks for the replies though. I enjoy following your season. GL in the Championship game! Hope this doesn't offend you. I've been lurking these forums for a long time and your post hurt me a little so though I would reply.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #2522
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebowtime1987

I ask because I myself am Native, my wife is Native, and well obviously my children are Native.

Since I was a young child my grand parents and parents taught me about the origins of the name "Redskin" -- It was actually created by my ancestors, the Illinois - a tribe in a place called "Illinois Country". We wanted to distinguish ourselves from Europeans. They were "white", some were "brown" and we became "red" but the first translations were Illinois->French, so it became "redflesh" or "redskin".

I just wanted to reply that some of us Natives take pride in who we are and our heritage. Our tribal lands are very, very poor. Most of us are well below poverty and suffer from substance abuse. There are very little Native politicians, athletes, and heroes -- our heroes are from stories our grandparents tell us. The Washington Redskins is the same as saying "Washington Native Americans" and my family and friends grew up with this being our favorite team because it represented our peoples. Sports teams with tribal names are really all us poor Natives have to look up to in professional sports and we take a lot of pride in these names.

It is very offensive that you call it "racial slurs" to me, my wife, my children, my family, and my friends. It degrades our history's and assumes that us Natives are too stupid to decide what is offensive or not, so we need non-tribesmen to tell us. Though to be fair, I am assuming you're not a Native and I apologize for this assumption if I am incorrect.

Thanks for the replies though. I enjoy following your season. GL in the Championship game! Hope this doesn't offend you. I've been lurking these forums for a long time and your post hurt me a little so though I would reply.
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #2523
MVP

Chedapalooza's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

Definitely enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing
WCSU Football '10-'11 WR#87
UCONN HUSKIES Football
D2 Football Coach (receivers) in the PSAC
Old 12-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #2524
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

Quote:

This is a very thoughtful post, just to add to it
The media and some politicians has caused this major misconception, and the ignorance of some others just has them jumping on board with it. It's sad to see really.

I'm from Oklahoma and many don't know what the name Oklahoma actually means, do people think the state of Oklahoma will change its name b/c of a few whiners, Highly doubtful.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #2525
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Why did you call the Redskins the "Racial Slurs?"
Because "redskins" where I am from is a racial slur for native americans, pretty straight forward. Did not mean to offend anyone. I am glad it does not offend you, but that does not mean it doesnt offend other Native American tribes.
Some people will take offense, and some will not. I personally take offense to calling anyone by their skin color or gender, we should all just be people.

Madden 16: Atlanta Falcons
FIFA 18: OCSC
NBA 2k18: Atlanta Hawks
NHL 18: Florida Panthers
NASCAR Heat 2: Driver Career
F1 2017 - Haas Team
MLB 2k13(360) - Atlanta Braves
NCAA 14 (360): UGA

Last edited by Hunkerdown; 12-24-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #2526
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
Because "redskins" where I am from is a racial slur for native americans, pretty straight forward. Did not mean to offend anyone. I am glad it does not offend you, but that does not mean it doesnt offend other Native American tribes.
Some people will take offense, and some will not. I personally take offense to calling anyone by their skin color or gender, we should all just be people.

My question to them would be, why don't they take offense to the name Oklahoma?
How come after all these years they have just decided in these past few years that it's offensive?

Almost seems like it's the overly-sensitive society that's crying the loudest, I could be wrong, who knows maybe it's just me.

Last edited by D81SKINS; 12-24-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #2527
MVP

OVR: 6

They are called the Redskins. Not the place to complain.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited by mbergh22; 12-25-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #2528
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Just a quick fyi to you guys. Whether you want to talk about what's been discussed the last few posts or not is up to you. If Josh wants it stopped he can post it and I'm sure everyone would respect that. But I can garentee name calling is a sure fire way to get banned. I've been around the block on this site. Just giving a fair warning guys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NFL: Chargers
Bandwagon NFL: TBD
MLB: Padres
NCAAF: San Diego State
NCAAB: San Diego State

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »