Home

JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's M17 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #2865
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

Trust me guys. What Josh has going is very good. Perfect? No but that's just being unrealistic. With what Madden gives us I believe this is going to be the most solid gameplay you can get. If you are looking for something wrong I guarantee you will find it. But if you sit back and just play the game without nitpicking every play you will have a wonderful time. Don't let a play or two that doesn't seem right make you upset. Look at it as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #2866
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Trust me guys. What Josh has going is very good. Perfect? No but that's just being unrealistic. With what Madden gives us I believe this is going to be the most solid gameplay you can get. If you are looking for something wrong I guarantee you will find it. But if you sit back and just play the game without nitpicking every play you will have a wonderful time. Don't let a play or two that doesn't seem right make you upset. Look at it as a whole.

That's the approach and mentality I'm trying to get back to, after tirelessly worrying about sliders. I just want to sit down and have fun like the good ol' days!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #2867
MVP

Daonlyjmo7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782

Preach. I honestly can't stress enough that you have to stop with the slideritis and just play.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #2868
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I do know that besides the QB ACC slider hopefully being tuned, there must be an offsides glitch that occurs because that is being fixed.

I didn't even know there was an offsides glitch.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #2869
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I do know that besides the QB ACC slider hopefully being tuned, there must be an offsides glitch that occurs because that is being fixed.

I didn't even know there was an offsides glitch.
i didn't either lol

Sent from my VS987 using Operation Sports mobile app

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #2870
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

OK guys, so this is the update I have been referring to. Major caveat, I have done very minimal assessment after today's patch; but at first glance, it appears to work just as well.

The biggest issue I had with the old OP was that it bluntly was not balanced. Balance on Madden is a tricky thing. It means that you get a variety of outcomes based on ratings on a per game basis and a per play basis. What I want to avoid is a scenario where one or more game settings was causing there to be a constant similarity in every outcome. This might be as simple as getting the same types of tackle animations regardless of player ratings. The premise: beat the opponent, not the sliders.

However, this also has to be tempered in such a manner that the outcomes are a) realistic and b) result in a gameplay dynamic that gives the user a realistic (based on ratings) challenge.

My concern is that the main menu fatigue and injury sliders were resulting in an overall impact to the gameplay that was stifling that dynamic gameplay I desire. So, how do we mute the impact of those sliders? Well, I started to think about how penalty sliders typically work. Penalty sliders tend to work in the following fashion:
  • 2-100: gameplay effects (sometimes glitchy at 100)
  • 1: penalty is turned "on" but with no/minimal effects
  • 0: penalty is turned "off" and usually results in glitchy/warpy behavior
We have tried a wide range of values for both and can clearly manipulate the gameplay dynamics. But, I realized that the flaw is that they add to that "sameness" we were seeing. Tried turning one or both to 0 (i.e. turned "off") and the game gets warpy and gltchy. So, taking a cue from the penalty sliders...set both to "1", which ostensibly is "on" but without gameplay impact. Now, I can't say that if you dive into the code that this is really what happens; but that doesn't matter. What I can say is that it has resulted in some fine gameplay.

TDawg and I have both been testing this (his last couple of vids have been featuring these adjustments)....the variety has been tremendous.

Now, the odd portion of this, for whatever reason, this setup plays best (IMO) when ballhawk, autostrafe, and heatseeker are all "on". I know I poo-poo'd autostrafe before due to concerns that it was leading to hyper-accurate QB play. Maybe that was small sample size, or maybe there are just certain combos that lead to it. All I can say is that I've seen completion percentages ranging from the low 50s to the high 70s for both the CPU and the user with plenty of offline throws (depending on the QBs in question).

The run games....I've exploded some games, the CPU has exploded some games. I've been shut down some games, they've been shut down some games. Again....variety...

What does variety mean? It means, DO NOT judge on small sample sizes. Big games happen, poor games happen. I've been blown out, I've blown out the CPU and I have had nail-biters.

One final caveat: if you play to exploit the game's weaknesses, don't bother. If you play to play some sim football, please, jump in.

I have been having a blast with these, I hope you all do too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (188.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #2871
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
OK guys, so this is the update I have been referring to. Major caveat, I have done very minimal assessment after today's patch; but at first glance, it appears to work just as well.

The biggest issue I had with the old OP was that it bluntly was not balanced. Balance on Madden is a tricky thing. It means that you get a variety of outcomes based on ratings on a per game basis and a per play basis. What I want to avoid is a scenario where one or more game settings was causing there to be a constant similarity in every outcome. This might be as simple as getting the same types of tackle animations regardless of player ratings. The premise: beat the opponent, not the sliders.

However, this also has to be tempered in such a manner that the outcomes are a) realistic and b) result in a gameplay dynamic that gives the user a realistic (based on ratings) challenge.

My concern is that the main menu fatigue and injury sliders were resulting in an overall impact to the gameplay that was stifling that dynamic gameplay I desire. So, how do we mute the impact of those sliders? Well, I started to think about how penalty sliders typically work. Penalty sliders tend to work in the following fashion:
  • 2-100: gameplay effects (sometimes glitchy at 100)
  • 1: penalty is turned "on" but with no/minimal effects
  • 0: penalty is turned "off" and usually results in glitchy/warpy behavior
We have tried a wide range of values for both and can clearly manipulate the gameplay dynamics. But, I realized that the flaw is that they add to that "sameness" we were seeing. Tried turning one or both to 0 (i.e. turned "off") and the game gets warpy and gltchy. So, taking a cue from the penalty sliders...set both to "1", which ostensibly is "on" but without gameplay impact. Now, I can't say that if you dive into the code that this is really what happens; but that doesn't matter. What I can say is that it has resulted in some fine gameplay.

TDawg and I have both been testing this (his last couple of vids have been featuring these adjustments)....the variety has been tremendous.

Now, the odd portion of this, for whatever reason, this setup plays best (IMO) when ballhawk, autostrafe, and heatseeker are all "on". I know I poo-poo'd autostrafe before due to concerns that it was leading to hyper-accurate QB play. Maybe that was small sample size, or maybe there are just certain combos that lead to it. All I can say is that I've seen completion percentages ranging from the low 50s to the high 70s for both the CPU and the user with plenty of offline throws (depending on the QBs in question).

The run games....I've exploded some games, the CPU has exploded some games. I've been shut down some games, they've been shut down some games. Again....variety...

What does variety mean? It means, DO NOT judge on small sample sizes. Big games happen, poor games happen. I've been blown out, I've blown out the CPU and I have had nail-biters.

One final caveat: if you play to exploit the game's weaknesses, don't bother. If you play to play some sim football, please, jump in.

I have been having a blast with these, I hope you all do too.
no testing of intentional grounding or defensive holding?? really would like your thoughts

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #2872
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1
no testing of intentional grounding or defensive holding?? really would like your thoughts

No, I haven't. I've been working on this new setup for a bit now. The reality is that I am extremely happy with this set (and from what I've seen so far, the patch hasn't changed that opinion).

Now....I have tested turning off IG in the past...and I totally get the attraction. But, I can never escape one thing....it artificially enhances the offense. Every offensive position gets a boost from what I have seen. It's just overpowering without major adjustments to other sliders. I'm trying to get away from "beating the sliders" and instead want to focus on "beating the opponent"...let the ratings really play out with minimal interference from other settings. I'm not saying it can't work; it's just not the path I want to go down as I am truly favoring the "less is more" approach.

I've not tested the defensive holding at low settings...I understand the theory, but I don't feel the need to tweak the DB play with the new set.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »