Rookie Sliders (It Works!) - Page 3 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Rookie Sliders (It Works!)

This is a discussion on Rookie Sliders (It Works!) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 10-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Rookie Sliders (It Works!)

Something else I've noticed is that physics and size matter, at least away from line play. I saw Eddie Lacy run over smaller DBs and saw where it took several players to take him down. When his backup subbed in the backup went down easier.

In another game I saw a smaller HB running to the first down line only to be blown backwards by a charging LB.

I've mostly focused on the QB play. How accurate are they; what makes them throw inaccurate passes; how is their pocket awareness; how well do they move within the pocket; what's their read progression. For all of these I have to say that initial impressions are that there is much improvement over other skill levels. All of this without tweaking sliders.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:07 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 19

Funny thing is I just did this earlier using what I know about ratings and how they function in the game.

There are several ratings that are over exaggerated/high beyond levels that draftees come in at.

The AI will do what the AI is programmed to do ratings wise.
It's reducing those exaggerated ratings that make it easy for Hum players, that the game can be brought into balance at this level.

Much of the challenge in Madden is built into the Game Play Speed chosen.
That's why things are slowed down on Rookie level, but when you do Fast or even Very Fast, the increased challenge is built into having to make decisions much faster.

But yeah, I was pleasantly surprise at what I saw on this level.
Will edit a couple of teams then do a Twitch sometime to provide video proof.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks khaliib. I think if people see the video prof they will come to see what we are seeing. Playing on ROOKIE in counter to what I, and probably many others, have believed. I think that finding the right speed and threshold may be a big leap forward, that and perhaps some small tweaks to sliders.

I'm excited about Madden again. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another path to nowhere.

EDIT: After the initial few games I noticed that WRs were able to hang on t the ball even when taking a hard hit right when they caught the ball. I lowered CTH to 47 and saw the ball get knocked out only when a hit was perfectly timed with a catch attempt. I still saw errant passes from QBs.

Last edited by mpd3892; 10-27-2016 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #20
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Now, this is exactly the kind of 'thinking outside the box" thinking that I love.

I've not tried this level this year, but I have to confess that I am intrigued (especially when I see khalib looking at this too).

A couple of 'housekeeping' questions as I might just fire this up when I return from my business trip later today.
  • How are you handling assists (i.e. ballhawk, heatseeker, etc.)? They are set to 'on' at all levels through All Pro. However, I've seen (on AP) that they will make CPU QBs less likely to throw the ball into coverage. Now, my question is if they will still force the balls into coverage at this level even if ballhawk is on.
  • What are you doing with the main menu injury slider? It is set to 10 at default, but you see far less defensive aggression this low (i.e. in getting proper defensive line push, in pass coverage, etc.). I have it set to 75 on AP, but I strongly suspect the AI on Rookie would be able to handle this (could be wrong though).
Even if this doesn't hold up long-term, I definitely applaud the willingness to give this a shot. Will be closely monitoring this thread, that's for sure!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd3892
Something you may want to try is editing the starting QBs' traits. To improve pocket awareness I went in and edited some of the starter's traits. I changed to throws ball away to YES; set senses pressure to IDEAL; and (sorry I don't have access to the game and can't recall) set the other QB trait to IDEAL as well.

Also, for RBs either set them to ONE-CUT or POWER BACK. I've noticed to a degree that with either of these two settings, HBs will try to run more between the tackles or at least use their blockers better and not always try to run to the outside. They still will run outside if that is the play, but not try and take every run outside.

Just some ideas.
I have always believed the only way to get more realism on the field is to edit ratings. Did you do this before your first few tests on Rookie? If so, wouldn't that invalidate the test as editing player ratings is the key to better on field game play at all levels?

C

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #22
Rookie

airraid73's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Thanks khaliib. I think if people see the video prof they will come to see what we are seeing. Playing on ROOKIE in counter to what I, and probably many others, have believed. I think that finding the right speed and threshold may be a big leap forward, that and perhaps some small tweaks to sliders.

I'm excited about Madden again. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another path to nowhere.

EDIT: After the initial few games I noticed that WRs were able to hang on t the ball even when taking a hard hit right when they caught the ball. I lowered CTH to 47 and saw the ball get knocked out only when a hit was perfectly timed with a catch attempt. I still saw errant passes from QBs.

Hope this thread continues, when I saw joshc1977 post something I know it can be a legit topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #23
Rookie

airraid73's Arena

Quote:
Something else I've noticed is that physics and size matter, at least away from line play. I saw Eddie Lacy run over smaller DBs and saw where it took several players to take him down. When his backup subbed in the backup went down easier.

In another game I saw a smaller HB running to the first down line only to be blown backwards by a charging LB.

I've mostly focused on the QB play. How accurate are they; what makes them throw inaccurate passes; how is their pocket awareness; how well do they move within the pocket; what's their read progression. For all of these I have to say that initial impressions are that there is much improvement over other skill levels. All of this without tweaking sliders.

In the game I had with the Saints , Ingram had some shifty moves he made on me ! But the game I had with Vikes Matt Asiata power was noticeable I'll go back and provide stats in that game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
Rookie

I have played two games, first half only, just to get a feel of how it plays on Rookie Level. I used default sliders, with speed set on Fast. I have to say that I am more than pleasantly surprised at what I was seeing. Drives by the CPU teams that ended up with some scoring, and some drives that were stopped after a couple first downs, or stopped for 3 and out. I got burned on deep passes, one for a 69 yd TD, and watched my DB's play good D against the pass. I had offensive drives that went down field, but stalled, and I had to settle for a FG. I also had my offense stopped for 3 and out. Now for a note on what I noticed with actual game play concerning physics. I seen really nice tackling, and realistic looking broken tackles. There was a good pass rush from both sides, but not too much. Good coverages on screen passes, and some screens that were successful for 6+ yards. Defenders doing an adequate job covering passes to the flats, and slants. So far the only issue is the very slow Kick Meter. So what I have done is I will not aim my FG kicks, but I stop the meter either early or late to place my kicks, which increases the challenge, especially with a windy game. The one adjustment I will make for now is putting FG Power at 45, and FG Acc at 38. Liking this alot. Note: I play sim style, no switch on D, all assist options off.

Last edited by Devildog Frank; 10-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »