JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only) - Operation Sports Forums
Home

JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only)

Version 2.2 Released! (September 21, 2017)

Overview for Approach Discussed Below.

Another year of Madden upon us and it's going to be a blast.

This year, I am starting-off from a VERY basic principle...everything default with only minor tweaks to ancillary settings if/when they are determined to have gameplay impacts. As always, the initial setup will be built around All Pro (sim) with default gameplay sliders. These will be based around not only the game's "sim" style, but are for people who also play "sim".

Why Default?
Well, assuming nothing has changed, modifying sliders from defaults begins a process in which the game's inherent balance is disrupted. This doesn't just affect the actual gameplay, but also the CPU play-calling. The idea is to leave everything alone; leave the balance intact. Now, if the game is fundamentally flawed at default (refer to FIFA), then yes, modifications away from default may be necessary. What I DO NOT want is a situation where games are played 'against the sliders'. In my opinion, the fundamental flaw in slider sets which modify sliders is that there is a great deal of 'sameness' to them - in severe situations, the sliders themselves begin to 'mute' the ratings.

Why All Pro?
I greatly prefer the balance (yup, there is that word again) that comes from All Pro, ratings are best represented here. The key though is to keep that balance which encourages the CPU to use more of their playbook, turning the game into far more of a 'chess match' instead of being reliant on stick skills. I'm not going to rule-out the evaluation of other difficulty settings but I will always start here.

So....we just take whatever EA gives us?

Yes and no. The traditionally unacknowledged aspect of Madden games of recent years is that many of the "options" like gameplay speeds, injury, fatigue, autosubs, penalties, gameplay assists and so on all trigger animations and/or influence player/team tendencies. The premise of this set (until proven otherwise) is to manipulate (globally) the gameplay using these "options" WITHOUT affecting the gameplay balance of the default sliders. The game has been traditionally "broken" by a user unwittingly toggling one setting away from its default setting.

Methodology
My methodology is different than many. I focus on animations, actions, reactions and tendencies. I pretty much ignore stats. If players behave the way they do in real life, then the stats will come. By focusing on how the players play, it is a more universally accepted setup. If I focus on "slidering" using only stats, then it becomes a "this is great if you play just like Josh and with his skill level" sort of slider set. There are an infinite number of combos that may give you "great stats" but the gameplay may look nothing like what we watch on Sundays....and how is THAT immersive or fun?

Do you have House Rules?
Not per se, but there are things I do when I play which make the gameplay more balanced. Examples include:
  • No run/pass commit. Even Clint (an ex-player) has stated on Twitter that this is more of a "video game feature". My biggest peeve is that this is something the CPU has not historically used and I'm looking to not abuse the game's programming.
  • "Hot Route Abuse". I see people calling 3-4 hot routes on nearly every play. Now, a) I don't see how that is "sim" and b) the CPU doesn't use this functionality. So, I don't use them....period. If you want to use them, go for it...but it is building you an advantage the CPU doesn't have.
  • Pocket play....dropping back 10-15 yards every pass or rolling to the right every pass....ummm....not sim AT ALL. Step UP in the pocket. This makes coverage and passing lanes far more realistic. It's one thing to be flushed out of the pocket but doing this constantly...well, you're going to give yourself too much time to throw and will distort the passing windows and coverage windows.
  • I will not dump-off every pass. One step on a defender is considered "open" in the NFL. If I see my primary has a step, I throw it to him (unless I see help coming).
  • Team-building. With a true ratings-based and balanced setup; if you build a "power team", you SHOULD win, A LOT. So....you want a challenge? Be realistic in how you build your squads. I'm not here to make things unrealistically hard just to accommodate someone who has some stacked 99 overall team.
QB Traits and the "Statue Effect"
Under evaluation as of patch 1.02.

A note on "other gameplay needs"

• Numbers of penalties and subs are two things which trip people up. I WILL NOT adjust values STRICTLY for penalty calls or subs unless I deem that there is ZERO gameplay impact.
  • For XP sliders, I will follow the default approach but I will also assess TDawg's final setup from his thread. There were signs in M17 that the XP sliders had gameplay impact; but as I respect TDawg's work and know lots of people will use his XP sliders, I will be assessing the gameplay with his set too.
  • I do not directly support "coach mode"....never have, never will. You're welcome to use these for coach mode, but I offer no guarantees as to how well they will work.
  • I do not directly support CPU v CPU mode....never have, never will. I actually think that this mode plays a bit different than other modes (including "coach mode"). My recommendation here is to go with a setup specifically designed for that mode.
  • I will be evaluating other facets of the game; examples may include play calling, coach schemes, weekly training, playbooks, etc. once we have a solid setup
Game-Planning and its Effect on CPU Play Calling and Gameplay (Offline CFMs ONLY!)

So....let's talk about the gameplanning function within CFM. I am hoping that some of this is useful for us moving forward. The game plan and weekly training elements were new to M17 (and are still there in M18) and as we know, sometimes new features leave behind some unintended artifacts.

So, you pick your point of emphasis for offense and defense for that week then sim through (or play) the actual training. You get boosts on those types of plays as being a part of your "gameplan". In the play selection menu, you get the little green icons that pop up and indicate that it is a "gameplan play". What if the CPU is using those gameplan plays far too often (thus causing them to run the same types of plays over and over....the biggest offenders being stick patterns, "shots", and verticals). I mean, seriously, some teams call stick patterns 50-60% of the time...even if you stop it.

I started experimenting to see what would happen if I manually set the CPU's gameplan. So, for the experiment, I set their gameplanning emphasis to "Red Zone Offense" and "Red Zone Defense" and I did the same for mine. The two red zone emphasis drills make all plays (when within the red zone) "gameplan plays" and give the boosts there. By setting the CPU and User gameplans to those drills, they essentially "cancel out" the boosts (albeit, at a slightly boosted level). Also, teams get "amped-up" in the red zone in real life; so this feels a bit more "sim" in some respects.

The CPU play-calling is SO much better. They were calling a much wider variety of plays and were actually catching me off-guard on occasion. I even had a tougher time cracking their defense...

Here is what I know and don't know:
  • I cannot directly correlate the drill used to how often a team calls a play. In other words, if the CPU drills on a "Cover 1", I don't necessarily see them calling more Cover 1 plays. But, I have nowhere near the statistically-significant sample size I would need to prove/disprove this. Frankly, I am not going to take it quite this far.
  • However, for whatever reason, there appears to be an improvement in CPU game-calling variety when setting the gameplan to "red zone offense/defense". I think it is more the fact that this approach re-balances things a bit more.
  • I still sometimes see too many vertical/shot plays, but I think that is as much a by-product of certain playbooks (and use of the vertical scheme). However, I would say that overall, it is better.
So, in summary:
  1. Take control of the CPU coach the WEEK BEFORE your game (if starting a new franchise, this means you have to start in preseason)
  2. Once CPU coach is under your control, advance to the next week (i.e. the week of your game)
  3. For the CPU coach, change the offensive gameplannng to "Red Zone Offense" and defensive to "Red Zone Defense" (both are near the bottom of the list). Simulate the training. If you want to adjust their offensive scheme, you can do that here too. You may retire the CPU coach once done (they will not disappear for good). If you do not retire their coach before playing your game, make sure to adjust their autosubs to the below CFM settings.
  4. For the User coach, change the offensive gameplannng to "Red Zone Offense" and defensive to "Red Zone Defense" (both are near the bottom of the list). Simulate the training.
  5. Play your game.
  6. Once that game is ended, don't forget to take control of the CPU coach for your next game before advancing.
  7. Repeat Steps 1-6.
My view of what sort of feedback is appropriate
  • Broad statements like "It's too easy" or "It's too hard" or "the run game is too easy/hard" will be ignored unless you provide further support. Provide full descriptions (or video) of WHY something is "too easy/hard". Broad generalizations based on tiny sample sizes (i.e. less than 8-10 full games in regular season CFM) will be ignored unless you have specific reaction/animation-based arguments to support the "why". If you have video of full games available, please refer to specific time-frames where you see things that look "off".
  • I will not make adjustments based on stats alone. I will not respond to queries based on stats alone. Video is nice, but even text descriptions of what you are seeing is helpful (oftentimes, one small detail may resonate as something I have seen myself...having secondary confirmation often helps me realize that something may be wrong). If you just post numbers, it is meaningless.
  • You're welcome to post box scores of games (lots of people enjoy seeing them) - just don't be miffed when I tell you that I usually ignore them (now, if you take the time to write specific details about how the game went and what you saw, I will totally read that). But box scores alone really don't tell me a whole lot. Stats lie all the time.
  • Take ownership of your gameplay style. If you like to go overboard and maybe exploit the CPU a bit, own it. If you're not 100% "sim", there is nothing wrong with that; but my approach may not work for you on All Pro.
  • The premise of this set is to utilize default gameplay sliders. Until further notice, I will not entertain any discussion of gameplay slider changes in this thread. If you wish to discuss gameplay slider changes, please go to another thread or take the discussion to PM.
Having high quality feedback makes our efforts here much better. I greatly appreciate everyone's cooperation.

Steps for Setting-up the sliders
1. Delete your profile, restart your game. Select Simulation and Advanced (the third one over) as your preferred options.
2. Go into the main menu settings, keep everything at default except for 9 minute clock with no acc clock and Slow Game Speed.
3. Start CFM, make the following adjustments:
- Use 9 minute quarters with no accelerated clock

- Change Game Speed to Slow

See image and/or PDF below for the current version of the sliders.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (155.1 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy of My current sliders(3) - Sheet4.pdf (60.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by JoshC1977; 09-21-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only)

Look forward to actually playing sooner than later. So stick with 9 min qrts, no accel. All assist on? or default which is just ball hawk I believe.

Xbox GT: Hunkerdown
Mixer: HUNKERDOWN
Twitch: Hunkerdownuga
Sports Franchises:
Madden 18 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks

Madden 18: Falcons offline CFM
NBA 2k18: Hawks rebuild MyLeague
FIFA 18: TBD
NHL 18: TBD
Old 08-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkerdown
Look forward to actually playing sooner than later. So stick with 9 min qrts, no accel. All assist on? or default which is just ball hawk I believe.

Sports Franchises:
Madden 18 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks

Whatever is turned on by default.

FWIW, I'm taking EA Access feedback with a huge grain of salt since it does not include the day 1 patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Whatever is turned on by default.

FWIW, I'm taking EA Access feedback with a huge grain of salt since it does not include the day 1 patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
ouch, i feel useless now, , your assuming there will even be gameplay items in day 1 patch. All I have seen is something on regression, but i will test in online cfm.

Sports Franchises:
Madden 18 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks

Old 08-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkerdown
ouch, i feel useless now, , your assuming there will even be gameplay items in day 1 patch. All I have seen is something on regression, but i will test in online cfm.
Sorry, but I didn't realize that until just a while ago (after I even posted this thread).....I thought the Day 1 was already rolled into EA Access (and was available for those who have the game early). It isn't and as we know from past experience, every patch has the ability to impact gameplay...intentional or not.

Just roll with it and try to have some fun. Get used to the new mechanics and so on. I'm just not going to base any potential Day 1 setups off of the unpatched game.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Sorry, but I didn't realize that until just a while ago (after I even posted this thread).....I thought the Day 1 was already rolled into EA Access (and was available for those who have the game early). It isn't and as we know from past experience, every patch has the ability to impact gameplay...intentional or not.

Just roll with it and try to have some fun. Get used to the new mechanics and so on. I'm just not going to base any potential Day 1 setups off of the unpatched game.
yep, i guess your GOAT edition will not get patched until Tuesday either. Some reason do not have target passing on by default, need to find option to try out.

Sports Franchises:
Madden 18 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks

Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Josh, how are things going?

I played a game last evening, so, a small sample size if you will.

I noticed on 2 different 4 verts from the CPU, RW had wide open WR's. Normally, I'm not one to look at the replay, but, lo and behold, on both occasions, I noticed Demarious Randall still standing at the LOS like a lost puppy and a deer in the headlights.

I did notice that a few times on 17 too.

Those darn 4 verts are evil.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Josh, how are things going?

I played a game last evening, so, a small sample size if you will.

I noticed on 2 different 4 verts from the CPU, RW had wide open WR's. Normally, I'm not one to look at the replay, but, lo and behold, on both occasions, I noticed Demarious Randall still standing at the LOS like a lost puppy and a deer in the headlights.

I did notice that a few times on 17 too.

Those darn 4 verts are evil.
Especially with Julio!!!

Sports Franchises:
Madden 18 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »