Wiz Slider Observations - Page 8 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Wiz Slider Observations

This is a discussion on Wiz Slider Observations within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders

Old 09-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Wiz Slider Observations

"wow", would be an understatement... great to see the passion for Madden is still kickin'....

My peeps are coming by the lab this afternoon (once the wifey jams, 'cuz she's on a "married with you 20+ years and you haven't done blah, blah, blah" rampage this morning) to test run them before suggesting the beta mods.

Apologies for delay, but for those of you that are hitched (wife or girlfriend/boyfriend, its all the same b.s.), you KNOW the bind I am in at the present.

Wizzz, out.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #58
Pro

OVR: 0

Is like to try these sliders. I haven't found a set I really really like yet
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #59
Rookie

The Big Donny's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingWiz

"wow", would be an understatement... great to see the passion for Madden is still kickin'....

My peeps are coming by the lab this afternoon (once the wifey jams, 'cuz she's on a "married with you 20+ years and you haven't done blah, blah, blah" rampage this morning) to test run them before suggesting the beta mods.

Apologies for delay, but for those of you that are hitched (wife or girlfriend/boyfriend, its all the same b.s.), you KNOW the bind I am in at the present.

Wizzz, out.
Yea man I hear ya! Definitely game for helping any way that I can and giving these a shot when ready.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #60
Pro

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Wiz-u play online or offline CFM?

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #61
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Wiz, gotta say, your initial observations on page 1...totally agree with every single one of them from my own labbing. For this version of the game, I definitely feel that going with a nearly all-default setup is the way to go. I'll be quite intrigued as to how you go about modifying things; I suspect our mindsets are quite similar in how we approach the gameplay.

Will definitely be following closely.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #62
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingWiz
FOOD FOR THOUGHT RE: SACK ISSUE

It is important to keep in mind how "sacks" "pressures" work in the real NFL. The "blitz" is typically defined as 5 rushers or more in a 4-3 defense and 4 rushers or more in a 3-4 defense.

In the lab, I tend to follow this guideline, but with the caveat that a blitz be defined as someone pass rushing that the offense wouldn’t expect. So it's possible that you call 3-4 defense where the nose tackle and end cover a zone, and have a CB and the ILB come in at the QB... Although there are only three rushers per se, I would categorize this as a blitz in my stat count.

Why is knowing what a blitz is important, you may ask? Good question...

Chew on this:

• 2/3's of NFL defenses call on the blitz LESS THAN 30% of the time on average
• Of those defenses that DO BLITZ more than 30% of the time, they are successful in putting pressure on average over 33% of the time for a sack, hurry or hit on the QB
• For all NFL teams, when they DO NOT BLITZ, their success to put pressure on the QB drops SIGNIFICANTLY and on average are only able to produce a 25% amount of pressure on the QB (measured by either a sack, hurry or hit on QB)

In Madden, typically you are calling about 50 or so defensive plays. If on EVERY single 3 WR set you call a BLITZ package, you are not playing SIM football. The range for all of NFL defenses is from approximately, 45%-15% times, a blitz is called. For context, the Pats typically call a blitz 20% of the time and the Steelers/Cardinals/Colts typically in the high 30's, close to 40%, obviously depending on the style of head coach and defensive coordinator on the period of time you are tracking.

So getting back to SIM experience, if you blitz the CPU QB on every obvious pass play (Let's assume 27 average pass plays per game for the CPU QB) and we assume that you have a similar success rate to the NFL, which is approx. 33%, then you achieve a combo of at least 9 pressures. Now assuming some of you stick jockey's play a DL player, and start jamming on the button that triggers a power or finesse BLKSHED move, is it any surprise that you are seeing 6 sacks plus a game?!?!?! And keep in mind that we all know that Madden's coding has legacy issues to contend with.

In lab what I have found is closest to a SIM representation is to UNDERSTAND what your teams defensive coordinator's tendency is toward the blitz. Hell, the Pat's blitz approx. 20% of the time for Christ sake so if you are playing as the Pats and you are blitzing all pass plays and getting 7+ sacks, well noooo duuuuuh!!

Remember that on average NFL defenses have a 33% success rate for pressure on the QB. So if Madden coders are trying to match those ratio's and you are blitzing on every pass down and you are controlling a DL as well as jamming the button to create a power or finesse move for a BLKSHED trigger, then you are stacking the odds in your favor and you will get the statistical outcome you have stacked in your favor.

Breathe, breathe and reeeeelax. I would suggest that before you start a game, actually scout the team you are playing, understand the WR's traits and strengths. Know which one's are clutch, which drop open passes, which one's are good in traffic, etc., etc.. Know your DC tendencies and try to follow them. In a typical Madden game, there is approx 27-30 passes in the game. If you have a talented DL (or linebackers in a 3-4 formation) you should only achieve 25% pressure on pass plays which will translate to about 7 pressures. Let's assume you have a perennial All-Star (ie JJ Watt, Bosa, Aaron Donald, etc.) then don't be surprised if you NEVER blitz the entire game that you finish with at least 1-3 sacks. Now if you up the ante, and now bring a blitz that's in line with what your D-squad does in real life, then you should not be surprised that a line with a stud or two and a blitz will provide you with at least 3 sacks, if not more.

Personally, IF I control a D-Lineman, I do not MASH the pwr or finesse move button to trigger a BLKSHED move. What I do, is press L1 (on ps 4) and allow the player's own ratings to take over, without switching players. I also keep track of who my defensive coordinator is and what his tendency is regarding the blitz packages.

Bottom line, the Madden player has a lot of inherent ADVANTAGES against the CPU (biggest one being what formation package they are in prior to having to select a defensive call) making a SIM experience difficult if you are not willing to adopt some HOUSE RULES as I have briefly mentioned in this discourse.

SUMMARY:

1) Know your D-Coordinator
2) Adhere to his blitz ratio's and do not abuse them unless the game situation warrants it (ie 4th QTR, you are protecting a 6 point lead against Brady, Brees, Rothlisberger, etc.) and you are bringing the heat to prevent the QB/WR from having time to get behind your defense
3) IF you do play DL, avoid mashing the pwr or finesse move button
4) IF you do play DL, consider using the L1 button (on PS 4, not sure what it is on X-Box)
5) Consider playing coverage defensive player, using L1 button (for PS4, not sure what it is for X-Box) initially and then taking over control of your player, no switching to another defensive player after ball is hiked.
7) Know the other teams offensive stars and what playbook they use. Take away/neutralize their big weapons, consider lining up against their stud player especially one with an "ON", CLUTCH rating, and take him away as an option for the CPU QB

SIM is doable, but it takes some discipline on your part as well.

Wiz, out.

Actually the dcs can see the personnel on the field when calling their plays and the cpu chooses theirs based on ours so that's equal advantage right?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #63
Just started!

Definitely want to try out your slider set as well! Haven't been playing as long as you, jumped on the Madden train 94. I used to create my own set, but just don't have the time anymore and have been enjoying your thoughts on this and how to get the game rocking!
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 AM   #64
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I'll give them a spin, though I must admit I'm puzzled as to why it needs to be via PM and not posted in the thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »