Home

Penalties : Offside, D.Holding, DPI : Critical

This is a discussion on Penalties : Offside, D.Holding, DPI : Critical within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Penalties : Offside, D.Holding, DPI : Critical

One thing I am 100% certain on is that raising fatigue definitely increases the chances of AI controlled players commiting offsides, and even more so, false start. Any penalty really... but false start is the most affected by high fatigue settings.

When I say AI controlled players I mean players on either the CPU controlled team or the Human controlled team.

For a while I was using 60 or 65 fatigue, but the CPU would get like 3-4 false starts in a row sometimes. With default fatigue that hardly happens to me so I have kept using 50 fatigue for a while. (on a side note: higher fatigue settings also would cause players to dissapear in the 4th quarter on both teams I would notice, but I have heard that was fixed this year)

So I'm not sure why, but fatigue has an effect on how often penalties are commited. I'd love to use higher than the default 50 fatigue, but too much weird stuff starts to happen.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

i know your doing this and talking about playing cpu . But one thing i wanted to ask here.

In our league we have offsides at 5 ( the reason for this is , so users can use fake snap to draw offsides users who just user dline, but it wont draw offsides CPU dline, so people cant spam it to get easy first by tricking cpu.)

Now having said that, two things - 1 we have ridiculously high number of sacks, and not because alot user dline. So alot of sacks are by cpu. We average 8 a game , some games have had 17 in a game. We also see run game pretty easy , with us as a league in a week averaging 125 yards per game per team.

We also have pass block at 95. Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how to lower those sack numbers, and raise the toughness to run some , but for the life of me im at a loss here. So im curious when i read you state that lowering offsides penalty cut back on pass rush and made running tougher.

Any input is appreciated

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
i know your doing this and talking about playing cpu . But one thing i wanted to ask here.

In our league we have offsides at 5 ( the reason for this is , so users can use fake snap to draw offsides users who just user dline, but it wont draw offsides CPU dline, so people cant spam it to get easy first by tricking cpu.)

Now having said that, two things - 1 we have ridiculously high number of sacks, and not because alot user dline. So alot of sacks are by cpu. We average 8 a game , some games have had 17 in a game. We also see run game pretty easy , with us as a league in a week averaging 125 yards per game per team.

We also have pass block at 95. Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how to lower those sack numbers, and raise the toughness to run some , but for the life of me im at a loss here. So im curious when i read you state that lowering offsides penalty cut back on pass rush and made running tougher.

Any input is appreciated

Echoed here. Sacks & pass rush are the lone part of the pass game I have not been able to balance this year in our league, and it's causing guys to throw less & less, leading to very low pass yardage despite our pass efficiency metrics (when they DO get the pass off) being really well matched to the NFL now in terms of yds per att, comp%, etc. Some guys user DL which contributes but is not all, most guys in the league rarely user DL.

So here I am curious about penalty sliders. Is there any evidence you can provide to quantify a bit how you believe these sliders affect things? I typically only listen to data or posted evidence as every penalty slider thread I see has guys posting with supreme confidence something that is different than the next guy posting with supreme confidence.

But, we're kinda desperate. Pass rush on AM this year is really imbalanced.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 09-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Def holding impacts "match distance." In other words it will tighten things up defensively because the defense will engage with the ball and the ball carrier alot quicker and if its set too high it leads to warping and some wonky animations. My experience is that main menu penalty sliders effect the gameplay the most. If you just set the cfm penalty sliders its not nearly the same effect.

The injury slider (cfm) effects pursuit especially of the pass rush and really flattens and spreads out the pocket when its set lower.
So might as well not touch the def holding slider and leave it at default? Because I have it cranked up to 99 and have yet to see def holding called.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Def holding impacts "match distance." In other words it will tighten things up defensively because the defense will engage with the ball and the ball carrier alot quicker and if its set too high it leads to warping and some wonky animations. My experience is that main menu penalty sliders effect the gameplay the most. If you just set the cfm penalty sliders its not nearly the same effect.

The injury slider (cfm) effects pursuit especially of the pass rush and really flattens and spreads out the pocket when its set lower.
So here is my question, in an online league with 32 users, how does this whole part here work :

"My experience is that main menu penalty sliders effect the gameplay the most. "

I mean getting everyone in league to set the penalty sliders seems like a real hassell . If only the main commish does it in his, how does that effect everyone in league? This is something i really dont get and would love more details on explaining how that works in this type a situation.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
So here is my question, in an online league with 32 users, how does this whole part here work :

"My experience is that main menu penalty sliders effect the gameplay the most. "

I mean getting everyone in league to set the penalty sliders seems like a real hassell . If only the main commish does it in his, how does that effect everyone in league? This is something i really dont get and would love more details on explaining how that works in this type a situation.

Personally I'm pretty dubious penalty sliders affect gameplay much if at all. I *want* to believe, because guys on OpSports make these declarative, bold claims--but often you can find equally bold claims in direct opposition to each other and always without any evidence or measurement whatsoever.

However, as you know it's kinda desperate times for the 32-man league slider community this cycle. All Pro is pure arcade offense, but pass rush on All Madden is just so powerful. So, I'm experimenting with dropping Roughing & Offsides in our league as those are two sliders that elicit the strongest claims of affecting the pass rush (i.e. lessening it.) Only a few games into the week, so it's still way early to say anything for sure, but for what it's worth our sack rate is identical to what it's been for weeks now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have never gotten any of the many people who make hard-fact declarations about what large differences penalty sliders make to back it up with anything resembling evidence. Confirmation bias is stronk.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 10-08-2017, 04:06 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 1

Starting to think high D.Holding is not the way to go. Just played Seahawks v. Packers with everything default All Madden except d.holding at 0. Won 17-3 with 15 min qtrs. Rodgers had nearly 400yds but on 45 throws. Sacked 6 times picked twice. Montgomery had 15 yds on 17 carries. Negatives were no penalties and the pass rush was a little overpowered. Zones and even man was noticeably better. Testing other penalties now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #16
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude
So might as well not touch the def holding slider and leave it at default? Because I have it cranked up to 99 and have yet to see def holding called.
Which is crazy, considering two years ago, defensive holding worked just fine.

Why does the Madden team continually break parts of the game that are actually working correctly?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »