Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #881
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us out...really good tips...as always
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #882
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I added a new section to the OP today discussing my thoughts on the out-of-box gameplay. This includes highlights of my observations thus far as well as some flaws (spoiler: there aren't many on the gameplay side). Just adding it below so people don't miss it.

Quote:
Madden 20 has been one of the most frustrating experiences because it was SO CLOSE to greatness. Here's the irony, a person can live out in the middle of nowhere, no internet access, just a Madden 20 disc in-hand...and that person is playing, by far, the best version of Madden 20 gameplay. Most of you reading this have never actually played it....you played a patched launch day version of the game and then "patched up" from there. (I did the same for months)

Well, very much like my approach to Madden sliders, I am going back to basics. That means, no patches...just the version of the game that came on the disc. Now, I've tried this for other versions of Madden and out-of-box versions were notably buggy or had significant flaws (which lead me to quickly nix using them). However, Madden 20 is a different animal; the out-of-box gameplay is very smooth, has a lot of variety, and feels far more realistic than any version of the game I've played to-date.

Why do I like the OOTB version of the game (gameplay-wise) WITH THIS SLIDER SETUP:
- Man, the gameplay/animations is smooth. Even running the OP on All Madden it is really nice. Hit stick animations do have the 'warp into the ball carrir' vibe to them, but they happen far less frequently than other versions.
- CPU runners are intelligent and make full use of their moves. I've seen backs shimmy through small creases to bust through the line, I've been juked out of my shoes, I've been run over. It feels very life-like.
- The pass rush is quite good. There is a fair bit more interior pressure and elite rushers can get to you quickly.
- Tackle animations are superb. With CPU runners making moves, it has really opened-up a lot of new animation types. It feels really darn organic (god...I hate using that word...it's so over-used...but it's appropriate here).
- I really like pass coverage. Now, if you isolate and break-down every little animation, you're going to find warts. Holistically though, there is so much variety here. I know lots of folks did not like coverage at launch - this version has been a fair bit better than the launch day version. The WR/DB interactions have also been quite good and you can really see the ratings stand-out.
- User passing is harder. One of the earliest patches made the pass lead sensitivity less sensitive. Not so OOTB - you WILL miss throws (especially if you're like me and use the total control passing a lot).
- CPU QB play is solid. They show good pocket awareness and make good decisions. On All Pro in particular, they will do a great job mixing up throws/targets. They will keep you guessing and will surprise you at times. The ONLY gameplay wart is that the 'dropback glitch' will pop-up on occassion (usually due to a 4-verts call or perfect coverage). But, with the OP setup (i.e. the 10/39 INJ split), the frequency of occurrence is really minimal.
- It's quite a bit tougher to run as the user. Second-level pursuit is really good and will force you to make quick decisions. Inside/outside runs seem to be well-balanced (i.e. both can be effective depending on the type of scheme/roster/matchup). What I like is that TFLs are toned-down - there's more of a realistic feel here where a good 'run stuff' may net you a yard (versus a guy meeting you 4 yards in the backfield due to a blockshed).
- This is a bit of a small sample size, but I've seen a little better distribution of penalties here (still a fair number of facemask calls, but pretty good for a default setting).
- In some ways, superstar abilities feel less 'cheesy'. They still stand out, but I think because the core base is so good that the abilities do what they intended originally, to add another layer to the game.

What really surprised me is just how well the OP worked (even with the base game). I have to think that the 10/39 INJ slider is some sort of a 'sweet spot' with the game this year. It's really nicely in-sync. If you have the disc version of the game (or the ability to purchase it) and, like me, are more concerned with getting good gameplay, I highly suggest uninstalling your patched version of Madden, disconnecting your network, and reinstalling the base game from the disc.

Now, the franchise mode itself isn't quite as refined. The snap count glitch is present for hidden dev guys. You're going to have the wonky sim stats for QB rushing yards. Rookies with Star Dev aren't hidden potential as they are in patched versions (this was added later). There may be other franchise mode 'under the hood' tuning that may impact things long-term. Now for me, I just roll with what the mode gives me. One other thing; you're likely going to be 'stuck' with the base rosters and generic draft classes and any franchises from an earlier version will not work. So...there ARE downsides here....but most of them don't impact me because it is already how I play.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #883
Rookie

Thanks for the great update, Josh!

Though am I correct that if I am a PC user, I won't be able to do the OOTB thing, right?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #884
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhed
Thanks for the great update, Josh!

Though am I correct that if I am a PC user, I won't be able to do the OOTB thing, right?

That is my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #885
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
That is my understanding.

I'm reviving your thread because I unplugged the game for 2 weeks after Octobers title update.

I'd like to point out that I feel the game is back to where it was playing before Octobers title update ruined it for me.

I had so much fun playing the first game out of the gate.

Both running games were solid and on point, and Trubisky was Trubisky, scrambling for 40 yds and throwing for 66%.

The animations were really clean as well.

I threw for my first Hail Mary ever in Madden and it was a beauty.

MVS jumped up and it was in his bread basket, but he collided with the Bear defenders and the ball was squired into the air into the waiting arms of Allison in the end zone.

I was favorably impressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #886
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm reviving your thread because I unplugged the game for 2 weeks after Octobers title update.

I'd like to point out that I feel the game is back to where it was playing before Octobers title update ruined it for me.

I had so much fun playing the first game out of the gate.

Both running games were solid and on point, and Trubisky was Trubisky, scrambling for 40 yds and throwing for 66%.

The animations were really clean as well.

I threw for my first Hail Mary ever in Madden and it was a beauty.

MVS jumped up and it was in his bread basket, but he collided with the Bear defenders and the ball was squired into the air into the waiting arms of Allison in the end zone.

I was favorably impressed.

I’ve been on a hiatus because of how easy AP running seems to be even with a trash line. I’ll give it another go now since I’ve read this.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #887
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I did toy around with 1.18 yesterday and two things stood out (aside from the size of the icons )

- defensive pursuit is much improved (this is where 1.17 came up short - and frankly, 1.16 wasn't all that great either). Defensive contain on the outside looks to be better - defenders are taking sharper angles in pursuit vs running more parallel to the LOS.
- defender reactions in coverage are amped-up. It's on the border of being overkill but it's not horrible. Some of the interactions are a bit awkward at times.

It is an improvement over 1.17 for sure. I'm just not sure that 1.18 offers enough improvement to sway me away permanently from OOB.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #888
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Hey Josh, meant to ask this during your twitch stream while on the topic of SS abilities, but totally forgot. If you start a CFM with them off, can you toggle them on later or no?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »