Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #937
Rye
Rookie

Rye's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Interesting Rye....yeah, I could see All Madden alleviating it a little for improvisers, but obviously, that isn't a viable option. I assume this was in CFM, right?

I'd also ask if they are making quick reads and then stepping-up and running up the middle or are they scrambling left and right behind the LOS like blind chickens before outrunning everyone to the edge (because I could totally see that happening on AM with Improvisers)?
Yes it's CFM and every run by Watson was very nice. Sometimes between the guard and tackle after his drop back, other times out wide and up the field. One play I had solid pressure coming off the weak side and Watson immediately recognized and took off and got around the tackle, forced him up the field tho and he slid down. Very good running by Watson, almost like playing against a user honestly. Wilson was a bit different, as Watson would take off sometimes right after his drop back. Wilson would usually wait an extra second or two, scan the field and then take off. When he did though he was pretty smart about it, one play involved the pocket collapsing around him on the outside and he ran up the field for a big gain. A very good play by Wilson, I believe the other times he was running out around the tackle, always being forced up field though. The one time he threw it away was when we had pressure coming after he dropped back, he scrambled in opposite direction but had no where to go thanks to my olb and threw it away. Smart move by Wilson

Sent from my LG-D850 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-04-2019, 03:22 AM   #938
Rookie

ulua's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I've done a lot of tinkering since the last patch dropped. A couple of important notes.

Scrambling QBs
I brought thus up before, but I'm now 100% positive that the driving force to induce CPU QBs to scramble is the position archetype. Basically, if a QB's primary archetype is anything but "scrambler", they will not scramble for yardage. Other archetypes WILL move in the pocket, but they won't take off for yardage.

Basically, a QB has to have "Scrambler" as his top (or tied for the top) archetype on his player card. So basically, if you're trying to get an improviser archetype (Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott) to take off downfield, forget it. He'll move around, but it will invariably lead to a sack, throw, or throwaway. If you edit his ratings (lowering Deep Accuracy while raising Medium Accuracy is an effective means) so his top archetype is "scrambler", he'll actually take off when warranted.

This is a bit disappointing but at least we know that it is not a slider issue. I'm personally just editing a few guys within my CFM to make them scrambler archetypes and rolling.

Coverage
One of the biggest (and most welcome) changes in patch 1.19 was in normalizing defender reactions to passes. Defenders are no longer hyper-reactive to every receiver or pass. They play balls in the air that they can see and do a much better job playing the receivers. Consequently, pass coverage is significantly tighter (particularly on the outside).

This has had a downside, CPU QBs are less likely to target outside receivers and are favoring underneath targets (where there are more likely to be route-running vs coverage rating mis-matches). Thus, the narrative that "coverage is worse" has come to fruition, postulated by people look at nothing but completion % as a measure of coverage effectiveness and/or by people who use previously created sliders that tightened coverage (compounding the issue).

This is less of a problem on All Madden simply because of the ratings boosts the CPU receive. On All Pro, this is a very touchy and delicate balance. That leads us to the next subject.

The Injury Slider

As we all know, the injury slider is one of the 3 primary gameplay sliders (fatigue/threshold being the other 2). Among other effects, the injury slider has an effect of greatly tightening things up. I had mentioned that I wanted to try to increase the injury value to get more injuries: of course, I picked the worse possible patch to try do this with (because of how tight the coverage already is at default).

Put simply, unless you do some wonky stuff with sliders (like lowering QBA, which dumbs-down the game), All Pro cannot support an injury value above the default value of 40 while maintaining the same level of variety from the CPU.

So where does that leave us?
Well, some folks might say, "If raising the INJ slider tightens things up, can't you just stick with 39 INJ like you have been?". Believe me, that was tested and it had a major issue - lineplay momentum (i.e. the line 'surge') was lost. Even before 1.19 dropped, I was looking for solutions. Modifying the FAT slider can offer some relief, but it never felt quite right to me.

No matter what I changed, I kept going back to 1 particular setup for 1.19. It had the balance of giving us strong lineplay (for both sides depending on matchups), effective coverage, and a more varied (thus more effective) CPU offense - everything just 'clicked'. Even playing with my powerhouse Miami team, I've had some serious battles (when using weaker teams, I've gotten my butt handed to me). That setup: 100% default.

Let me be honest...I really had to warm-up to it. Broad strokes; it animates well, there's a really nice variety in the player interaction dynamics (especially on the line), coverage has a lot of variety. But then you'd get those times where the CPU would throw a 5 yard pass on 3rd and 10 (something which happens all the time IRL) and you begin to doubt if you need to add a little "oomph". You'd see the CPU run game get stuffed 8 times for 12 yards (again, happens IRL) and you begin to doubt if you need to add a little "oomph". Your QB starts off hot (10/10) and you begin to ....aww heck, you get the picture. But here's the thing, you stick with it and they surprise you on a bomb, the CPU RB hits on a great run, or they pick you off and your QB cools off. All of those 'nagging things' dissolve away. There is a really good ebb and flow to the game.

Every year, I read posts by people here on OS saying things like "We shouldn't have to adjust sliders to get good gameplay." Guys...I agree and right now, we don't have to at all. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here. I'm updating the OP to reflect the use of 100% default setup. As always, as new title updates drop, we'll continue to evaluate where things stand.

Aloha Josh,
thanks for the update, I have a question regarding pure default setup, in CFM when i default the sliders the INJ slider resets to 50 so is 50 the real default number or is 40 the actual default value?

Thanks,
ulua

Last edited by ulua; 12-04-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #939
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulua
Aloha Josh,
thanks for the update, I have a question regarding pure default setup, in CFM when i default the sliders the INJ slider resets to 50 so is 50 the real default number or is 40 the actual default value?

Thanks,
ulua

I consider 40 to be the default value.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #940
Rookie

Jonotheking9's Arena

OVR: 1

Hey Josh. I decided to get Madden 20 in Black Friday sale. Just wondering if you think it’s best to start a new franchise with 75man pre season roster still or are there any updated ones that would be ok e.g. could I go with EA’s updated one?

Old 12-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #941
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotheking9
Hey Josh. I decided to get Madden 20 in Black Friday sale. Just wondering if you think it’s best to start a new franchise with 75man pre season roster still or are there any updated ones that would be ok e.g. could I go with EA’s updated one?
This is what I stated about rosters on the OP (second post actually)...

Quote:
EA spent MONTHS working on the new rosters. Given what we know about the importance of sample size, does it really make sense to use updated rosters that consist of changes made based on a game or two? Does it? Of course not. This is doubly important later in the year because they will boost younger players and if you start a new season from week 1 with those younger guys already boosted, then in-franchise progression will boost it even more (so you'll wind-up with a league-wide roster that is top-heavy in young players...which can skew league balance for 10+ years. For this reason, I strongly advise using the default pre-season roster that ships with the game (worst-case, make sure you save the final preseason roster so you get more up-to-date rosters without the in-season boosts).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #942
Rookie

Jonotheking9's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
This is what I stated about rosters on the OP (second post actually)...

Ok that makes sense thanks for the reply. Is there a roster you or anyone knows of that I can download that is an updated EA roster that would be opening day ready maybe. I’d like to at least have no Andrew Luck on the Colts. If not I don’t mind going with the default pre season roster if that would be the best.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #943
Rookie

martz28's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotheking9
Ok that makes sense thanks for the reply. Is there a roster you or anyone knows of that I can download that is an updated EA roster that would be opening day ready maybe. I’d like to at least have no Andrew Luck on the Colts. If not I don’t mind going with the default pre season roster if that would be the best.

I just edited Lucks attributes and contract so that there will not be a cap penalty for the Colts when they release him.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #944
Rookie

skillz25's Arena

OVR: 0

Hey Josh.

I moved up to All Madden because All Pro was getting too easy. Now I'm fumbling all the time. I know you said the sliders values are very delicate. But in your opinion, will changing the Human fumble slider mess up anything?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »