Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #945
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz25
Hey Josh.

I moved up to All Madden because All Pro was getting too easy. Now I'm fumbling all the time. I know you said the sliders values are very delicate. But in your opinion, will changing the Human fumble slider mess up anything?
Yeah, changing any of the gameplay sliders has a chance to fundamentally change the balance of the game.

The good news, user fumbles are the EASIEST thing to correct without touching a single gameplay slider. A few tips:

- Avoid making moves in traffic. This is mistake number 1 people make. They treat Madden like it's a video game and try to make moves on every play. The only time you should make a special move is 1-on-1 in space with a defender (unless he has the Enforcer trait). Play football...get what you can on the run and get back to the huddle. Real football players who try to get a big gain on every play wind up having short careers.

- With QBs, slide...slide...slide.

- On catches in traffic, throw low and use the conservative catch (cross on PS4). This will avoid those fumble-causing hits.

- Secure the ball with R1. Hitting R1 at the last second will not work, you have to have it held down earlier than that. Mainly use this vs Enforcers, in the Red Zone, or in the 4th quarter of close games.

- Speaking of RZ/4th quarters...use the coach adjustment for 'Conservative' ball carrying. The CPU WILL switch to aggressive strip ball or aggressive tackling. Counter that move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #946
Rookie

PotterB33's Arena

OVR: 1

Any thoughts on latest updates Josh?
thanks

Last edited by PotterB33; 12-13-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #947
Rookie

dorsett33's Arena

OVR: 4

Did the last update wipe out anybodys franchise? I downloaded the last franchise patch and it started my franchise over.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #948
Rookie

ulua's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsett33
Did the last update wipe out anybodys franchise? I downloaded the last franchise patch and it started my franchise over.....

Yah, I was part way through my second season, after the update I was still in my second season but went back to preseason and also my coach Purchase upgrades all wiped out have to start of scratch and my sliders got defaulted, didn't know till start of second quarter I was only playing 6 min qtrs. strange stuff
Old 12-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #949
Rookie

dorsett33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulua
Yah, I was part way through my second season, after the update I was still in my second season but went back to preseason and also my coach Purchase upgrades all wiped out have to start of scratch and my sliders got defaulted, didn't know till start of second quarter I was only playing 6 min qtrs. strange stuff
Mine crashed and I was in the 4th off season. Sent me all the way back to the 2019 season

Old 12-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #950
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I'll start real quick...I have not seen any franchise issues...so can't help there...
---------------------------------------------

On to gameplay...we have an update.

Alright, so I was a bit frustrated with the latest patch. At least within offline CFM, things felt really out-of-sync to me. CPU runners were making odd moves, CPU QB play was very pedestrian, defensive animations were really weird. Just game after game....it was just 'off'.

I tried going back to the old 39 INJ slider in CFM - but it showed the same warts....opening up the game way too much.

On a total lark, I decided to standardize the Main Menu INJ slider with the CFM slider (I.e. set the MM INJ slider to 40). And oh boy...it was really good. CPU runners were much more in sync, the QB play was much better...and the biggest key, all of this without disrupting the overall balance. My last Twitch stream archives some of the testing and then the change to this setup. The difference is pretty apparent and another person I trust has already tested it out and saw the same things.

Hope you all enjoy!

(The OP is updated)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #951
MVP

gman2774's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I'll start real quick...I have not seen any franchise issues...so can't help there...
---------------------------------------------

On to gameplay...we have an update.

Alright, so I was a bit frustrated with the latest patch. At least within offline CFM, things felt really out-of-sync to me. CPU runners were making odd moves, CPU QB play was very pedestrian, defensive animations were really weird. Just game after game....it was just 'off'.

I tried going back to the old 39 INJ slider in CFM - but it showed the same warts....opening up the game way too much.

On a total lark, I decided to standardize the Main Menu INJ slider with the CFM slider (I.e. set the MM INJ slider to 40). And oh boy...it was really good. CPU runners were much more in sync, the QB play was much better...and the biggest key, all of this without disrupting the overall balance. My last Twitch stream archives some of the testing and then the change to this setup. The difference is pretty apparent and another person I trust has already tested it out and saw the same things.

Hope you all enjoy!

(The OP is updated)

Have you seen any downside to this setup? Just looking to understand any trade offs if there are any.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #952
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2774
Have you seen any downside to this setup? Just looking to understand any trade offs if there are any.
Downsides relative to straight default (obviously the two share common downsides like depressed penalties, injuries, etc.)?

Well, I'm only a few games into it....so nothing definitive, but here are a couple of things I am looking at:

1. Run defense penetration. The defenses really swarm well to the ball. In one sense, I go "eh, is it too much?" while conversely going "this looks quite real". People who obsess over CPU run game stats may have a hard time swallowing this. What I DO like here is that CPU runners WILL keep their legs churning and give a good second/third effort on many plays....so while you may have games where you hold down their YPC, there is still effectiveness.

2. Tackling dynamics. SO....there's still a lot of variety here. But, the variety has shifted a bit more to the heavier hit, momentum-based tackling side of things (and I am not exactly sure if the hitting is overdone). It IS offset by that 'leg churning' (momentum-based) running - but I want to see how it pans out over the long-haul. A team loaded with run stopper archetypes are going to excel while other archetypes are going to struggle a bit more.

3. Pass rush. If a d-line is based around run stopper archetypes, they might get a push, but they are not going to break free a lot. It DOES give an appearance of some 'patty cake' on the pass rush and that is what I am eyeing here. That said, I've seen D-lines with more power/speed rusher archetypes bust free a fair bit.

Here's my "gut take". M20 is a pretty wide open game at default and I think we've kinda gotten used to that. Harmonizing the MM INJ slider seems to have brought back a lot of defensive balance back to the game. But it has also gotten the CPU passing attack into a better spot where they're taking more aggressive shots vs the absurdly tight coverage we see at default. The ebb and flow of the games are really nice overall. I truly think that ratings AND player archetypes are going to dictate how the games unfold....and when you play as one team in a franchise.... what you observe is, in part, going to be based on how you build your team.

If you've built a run-stopping 34 defense...expect to get hurt by the pass. If you've built a quick, coverage based 43 defense, expect to get hurt by the run. If you use the air raid, don't expect to run well. I can go on and on. Take responsibility for the decisions you've made in building your team and understand that every choice has a downside. The most effective 'slider adjustments' you can make are by changing the composition of your roster and associated scheme.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »