Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 12-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #953
Pro

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Downsides relative to straight default (obviously the two share common downsides like depressed penalties, injuries, etc.)?

Well, I'm only a few games into it....so nothing definitive, but here are a couple of things I am looking at:

1. Run defense penetration. The defenses really swarm well to the ball. In one sense, I go "eh, is it too much?" while conversely going "this looks quite real". People who obsess over CPU run game stats may have a hard time swallowing this. What I DO like here is that CPU runners WILL keep their legs churning and give a good second/third effort on many plays....so while you may have games where you hold down their YPC, there is still effectiveness.

2. Tackling dynamics. SO....there's still a lot of variety here. But, the variety has shifted a bit more to the heavier hit, momentum-based tackling side of things (and I am not exactly sure if the hitting is overdone). It IS offset by that 'leg churning' (momentum-based) running - but I want to see how it pans out over the long-haul. A team loaded with run stopper archetypes are going to excel while other archetypes are going to struggle a bit more.

3. Pass rush. If a d-line is based around run stopper archetypes, they might get a push, but they are not going to break free a lot. It DOES give an appearance of some 'patty cake' on the pass rush and that is what I am eyeing here. That said, I've seen D-lines with more power/speed rusher archetypes bust free a fair bit.

Here's my "gut take". M20 is a pretty wide open game at default and I think we've kinda gotten used to that. Harmonizing the MM INJ slider seems to have brought back a lot of defensive balance back to the game. But it has also gotten the CPU passing attack into a better spot where they're taking more aggressive shots vs the absurdly tight coverage we see at default. The ebb and flow of the games are really nice overall. I truly think that ratings AND player archetypes are going to dictate how the games unfold....and when you play as one team in a franchise.... what you observe is, in part, going to be based on how you build your team.

If you've built a run-stopping 34 defense...expect to get hurt by the pass. If you've built a quick, coverage based 43 defense, expect to get hurt by the run. If you use the air raid, don't expect to run well. I can go on and on. Take responsibility for the decisions you've made in building your team and understand that every choice has a downside. The most effective 'slider adjustments' you can make are by changing the composition of your roster and associated scheme.

Awesome detailed response Josh. Much appreciated as always. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 12-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #954
Rookie

Woad23's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2774
Awesome detailed response Josh. Much appreciated as always. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

Just finished a full regular season using these. Your write up above nails it. Schemes and team build are huge. I play a 4-3 quarters scheme and for the first time ever in madden I am ranked in the bottom 10 in the league vs the run!

Conversely I am ranked in the top 10 vs the pass despite having very little pass rush. Teams regularly complete over 70% of their passes but my solid tackling, donít give up the big play D ends up getting more punts and long fg attempts than TDs.

Very fun to see a team build come together and actually work. Awesome stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #955
Rookie

steelersd26's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Here's my "gut take". M20 is a pretty wide open game at default and I think we've kinda gotten used to that. Harmonizing the MM INJ slider seems to have brought back a lot of defensive balance back to the game. But it has also gotten the CPU passing attack into a better spot where they're taking more aggressive shots vs the absurdly tight coverage we see at default. The ebb and flow of the games are really nice overall. I truly think that ratings AND player archetypes are going to dictate how the games unfold....and when you play as one team in a franchise.... what you observe is, in part, going to be based on how you build your team.

If you've built a run-stopping 34 defense...expect to get hurt by the pass. If you've built a quick, coverage based 43 defense, expect to get hurt by the run. If you use the air raid, don't expect to run well. I can go on and on. Take responsibility for the decisions you've made in building your team and understand that every choice has a downside. The most effective 'slider adjustments' you can make are by changing the composition of your roster and associated scheme.
This is exactly what I look for in a slider set and why I prefer yours over others. I'm not looking for specific results, just for the skill and style of all 32 teams to actually matter.
New York Knicks
Tennessee Volunteers

Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/steelersd26

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/steelersdc26

Last edited by steelersd26; 12-17-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #956
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woad23
Just finished a full regular season using these. Your write up above nails it. Schemes and team build are huge. I play a 4-3 quarters scheme and for the first time ever in madden I am ranked in the bottom 10 in the league vs the run!

Conversely I am ranked in the top 10 vs the pass despite having very little pass rush. Teams regularly complete over 70% of their passes but my solid tackling, don’t give up the big play D ends up getting more punts and long fg attempts than TDs.

Very fun to see a team build come together and actually work. Awesome stuff.
I've run a lot of the 43 Quarters scheme....and I 100% see that too. Unless you have ELITE pass coverage LBs, they will make a living off of you underneath (but you're taking away the deep ball). But also by dropping back more, you're opening up the run game (especially with more rush-oriented d-linemen). The CPU will take what you give them....just like good teams do IRL.

SO many people don't appreciate the depth of the game. SO many times, if you start really looking at the construction of your team and your play-calling tendencies, things start to make sense.

Like, I am running the air raid with the Cards right now. It's a HORRIBLE scheme for running more standard run plays. But, the key with that offense are the short passes and mis-direction to get those short gains to keep drives alive. I'm struggling with it, but am figuring it out and am really enjoying using concepts well outside my wheelhouse (I LOVE a strong ground game with vertical pass concepts - this is a total opposite).
Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #957
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Played a really interesting game on stream with the Cardinals vs Atlanta (who were minus Freeman).

I rolled them in the first half....go up 21-0 at halftime. Ryan looked awful...he was passive, he threw a pick-6, was taking sacks, the ground game sucked...

They completely turn it around in the second half. They start throwing downfield more, which opens up the ground game. 4th Quarter and we're tied up at 21. We go up 24-21...and they go right back down the field again....score a TD to go up 28-24 with a minute left. We got into Hail Mary distance...but alas lose the game. (mind you, I lost to Cincy 30-10 the game prior....)

But the ebbs and flows of the game....man....just SO good. Their comeback was just steady...not me throwing 4 picks or something to blow it. They just kept coming at us and made plays (and made me pay for a couple of mistakes). It just felt like football.....
Old 12-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #958
Rookie

Wassup josh..if yu was,a cpu vs cpu guy...watch games...how would you set up your settings....for as difficulty and sliders and quarter length?
Old 12-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #959
Rookie

And wat intro settings would yu have?
Old 12-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #960
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdatt39
Wassup josh..if yu was,a cpu vs cpu guy...watch games...how would you set up your settings....for as difficulty and sliders and quarter length?
No idea....Maybe the OP on Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdatt39
And wat intro settings would yu have?
Does not matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »