Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 04-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #1097
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

One of the most unsung elements of Madden CFM is how the game develops throughout the CFM.

The number 1 issue with Madden is that the base rosters have way too much "oomph". Player weaknesses are not pronounced well and lots of players are incredibly well-rounded, diluting a lot of the impact of the "ratings stretch" M20 introduced. Let me say this though; M20 is far better than any Madden to-date, but it still needs lots of love.

However, something magical begins to happen in CFM...it gets better! There are a couple of factors that go into this.

1. Player OVRs begin to drop. Fewer guys hit 90 OVR ratings, there are fewer 80+ overall guys, and many teams start guys who have OVRs in the low 70s. As a result, fewer players hit specific rating thresholds that trigger many of the "high-end" animations. Many of these animations make the game far more arcade-like than it should be. As you lower those ratings organically, the game "looks better" and "feels better" and you begin to see more nuanced actions.
2. With lower OVRs, far fewer players hit that 80 OVR threshold for their first SS ability and even fewer hit 90 OVR for that second ability. This makes sense; very few players truly excel at more than one thing. When you go up against a guy with multiple SS abilities, they REALLY stand out now. What I love is that you will see veteran players that haven't regressed with SS dev but no abilities (i.e. guys that had that potential but never panned-out).
3. CPU-controlled teams tend to invest strictly along scheme fits when developing players. This is the key. Because players are developed along more focused lines, strengths are accentuated, weaknesses are more pronounced. So, instead of a starting corner with 80 MCV and 80 ZCV like in the base roster, it is more common to see guys with 90 MCV and 70 ZCV. Play that out across the board - the entire game morphs into a chess match. You'll be spending a ton of time looking at your players and your opponent's - looking for an edge in matchups. Teams that have been successful tend to have high scheme fit values as the coach has been around awhile...this makes sense. Players that have been subject to a number of different schemes are more rounded but usually not to high levels - again, this makes sense.

So how do we get there? We've got to do a purge. The idea of purging current guys from the roster is not a new one (we talked about this concept a fair bit in previous years but always in relation to using depressed XP sliders). With the improved game-generated draft classes and improved progression engine, simming at 100% XP is without a doubt the most desired option. A funny thing happens on default XP values, the positions where OVRs tend to drop the most also address the most glaring gameplay areas (e.g. lack of pass rush being addressed by a reduced number of highly rated O-linemen).

A quick aside: I greatly respect the work that guys like TDawg do with XP sliders. They do a great job coming up with values that keep things in-line with base rosters. But, that's not the goal here; I don't want to mimic the default roster paradigm.

How do we do this?
1. I HIGHLY recommend offline CFM. First, you can take over multiple teams. Second, I do feel it plays more smoothly. But the first one is the biggest key; I'll explain why in a bit.
2. Start a franchise with the default roster.
3. Take control of one team and set all roster management functions to auto (make sure auto progression and auto fill roster is turned on - I've forgotten this a couple of times and it was rather messy for the time I simmed with, lol).
4. Start franchise and advance week: click down and then left to change to sim for 10 years.
5. Walk away and do something else for an hour or so (if you're like me and working from home, just fire it up while working and it'll be done when you're off work).
6. Once complete; there will still be a number of real life players on the roster. You have choices; sim about 5 more years or just start at the 10 year mark. Remember, Madden franchises only go 30 years total (you COULD do a 2nd 10 year sim...giving you 10 years to actually play...your call). Mahomes and Lamar tend to be the hardest players to purge....if you get impatient, just edit them to punters; by doing that, you SHOULD be finished at Year 15. The coach of the team you sim with may retire; if he does, retire him and create a new character (you can literally control his replacement).
7. Once you've simmed-out and are happy with the state of your franchise; you'll need to do a little clean-up. This is where doing this offline is required. Game generated coaches often have mis-matched schemes and playbooks (e.g. Darius Turner has the Cover 2 scheme and TB's playbook (which is a 34). You'll want to resolve these disconnects (a good practice for CFM even if you don't sim-out). I personally change the playbook to match the scheme...but sometimes get creative just for fun...like giving a team Baltimore's playbook if they have a good scrambling QB.
8. Now, once all that is done, save your franchise as a "base" file. You can always choose to start a different franchise from the same sim later-on.
9. Pick your team, save the franchise under a new file name to preserve the "base".

You now have a completely fictional roster with improved dynamics, better player variety, and a paradigm that is more in-line with how it should be. The best part. You can do this over and over and over and it'll never be the same.

What to expect within CFM?
1. Team OVRs will be lower and in a tighter stretch. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THEM!
2. Expect to see very few 90+ overall players. Expect to see, at best, 6-8 players above 80 OVR on the best teams. Again, don't worry about it, this is what we want.
3. Expect to see lots of one-dimensional players (the team I chose had CBs with awesome ZCV and awful MCV - I'll be running a zone scheme I guess....). This is great because players are much more defined in terms of what they do and do not do well.
4. A nice variety in cap room. Remember, players sign deals based on their relative ranking within the league; not based on their overall.

What to expect gameplay wise? (Using the OP sliders of course )
1. Less jerky movements, less warping/suction.
2. Greatly improved tackling dynamics.
3. A greater variety of animations/outcomes.
4. More fluid and dynamic line play.
5. A marked contrast in bad, ok, and great players. This is why the team OVRs are meaningless. Because if a team has game changing players at key positions, they can be a lot tougher to deal with than you'd expect.

If you want to start a new CFM and need a new twist...trust me, this is the way to go!

Last edited by JoshC1977; 04-29-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #1098
Rookie

OVR: 0

I did the same idea for cpu vs cpu..started in year 2035..game plays really good.... I changed team schemes and play books...
Old 04-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #1099
Rookie

I got a question josh... when yu do your franchise..do yu have your console hooked up to the internet or no
Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #1100
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdatt39
I got a question josh... when yu do your franchise..do yu have your console hooked up to the internet or no
Always...especially since I stream a lot of my games.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #1101
Rookie

Interesting idea Josh. I tend to find it a little easy on offence using default as per your setup. Do you think purging the original rosters by doing the sim as per your recommendation will make gameplay more competitive for those of us who find scoring a bit easy with default rosters?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #1102
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion1976
Interesting idea Josh. I tend to find it a little easy on offence using default as per your setup. Do you think purging the original rosters by doing the sim as per your recommendation will make gameplay more competitive for those of us who find scoring a bit easy with default rosters?
I DO think it can temper things a bit (but it's going to be very dependent upon matchups and the ratings of the players you have)

But, in general, "ease" is more about how you approach the game and has nothing to do with sliders.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #1103
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I DO think it can temper things a bit (but it's going to be very dependent upon matchups and the ratings of the players you have)

But, in general, "ease" is more about how you approach the game and has nothing to do with sliders.
Yes i agree about the approach being very important. I am a sim player, mix my calls on both offence and defence, dont spam plays over and over that I know will work. The main issue I have is that running is a bit over powered which makes things a bit easy with even a middle of the road line.

I did try what you suggested and found the lower ratings do make for more mixed results. Perhaps lower rated players are a better approach than rolling the dice with AM.

Good enough to keep trying

Last edited by Lion1976; 04-30-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #1104
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I went with Josh's suggestions except for changing around schemes and what not.

I simmed out 20 years and what a difference to game play.

Granted, I was playing in the rain at Lambeau but man, WR's were actually dropping the ball a lot. I loved that aspect of it.

Oh, final score, Denver 20 and Green Bay 16.

I'm not a thumb jockey, either.

This has rejuvenated my interest in Madden.

Denver's QB hit 39% on passing and GB's QB hit 51%.

I can't wait to try this in dry conditions.
#showmedonttellme
#youarepartoftheproblem

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »