Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #281
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack317
So you have the sliders barely touched at all, maybe up or down 1 or 2. Whereas Matt has his anywhere from plus or minus 20.

How do the 2 differentiate? Why the big gap?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
A) Matt is playing on All Madden - if I were, I'd be tweaking more heavily there too.

B) I have a completely different philosophy from most....I outline it on my OP in detail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #282
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
A) Matt is playing on All Madden - if I were, I'd be tweaking more heavily there too.

B) I have a completely different philosophy from most....I outline it on my OP in detail.
I thought he was playing on both?

Either way, appreciate the response! Makes sense

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #283
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I wanted to break down a few more things from my EA Access experience (2 trials so 20 hours) here before launch. This is random and in no particular order.

General Note on Sliders
I'm very much adapting an approach of keeping all sliders between 48-52 for All Pro. That SEEMS to me to be a safe range where you can mess around with tendencies without getting 'Slider RNG'.

Now, I am currently NOT using any gameplay slider adjustments. I have tested a couple of things out...but...we need sample size. I'm not adverse to making changes, but the changes need to make sense and be justified.

Coverage
There were coverage issues in-game during EA Access. I don't know if we'll get a Day 1 patch or not and even if we do, if it will address them. There were three primary components:
1. The amount of distance between the DB and receiver. At pure default, you could watch a DB following a WR on a crossing route, but the DB would be 3 yards downfield following him. Modifying the injury slider to 50 in MM and 50 in CFM cleaned this up. (Note: on All Madden, players tend to play 'tighter' to start - so this setting may not work as well)
2. CPU defenders would constantly LOOK for the ball (and not necessarily react) at the expense of covering the receiver (leaving some nasty gaps in coverage). This took me forever to figure out but turning Ball Hawk back "on" really helped us out here. It's very clear the game was tuned to have this on (and it IS "on" by default). This functionality is definitely different than past years.
3. There are some odd animations with how DBs turn their hips or react on change-of-direction patterns. Now, EA stated that they tuned DB movements post-Beta to try to get Post patterns to be less effective, but I don't think the tuning worked out as well as it should have. There isn't much I can do here and I am not going to try. The other 2 tweaks will help mitigate this from being a major nuisance.

Threshold
I spent a TON of time on this. There are a lot of big plays by default. It is very tough to catch guys from behind. In this case, THAT IS NOT A THRESHOLD ISSUE! The issue there is related to fatigue...I'll touch on that later.

I set threshold to 52 for a couple of reasons. One, it smooths out some animations. Two, I think it syncs-up the run game a bit better. It will help A LITTLE in closing the gap, but not as much as people think.

Fatigue
This was a late addition to the setup. As mentioned above, breakways were virtually unstoppable. The reason, watch the stamina drain on a defender on a long return....it doesn't go down fast enough.

Now, 52 fatigue helps that without rocking the rest of the gameplay. In fact, the gameplay is just a bit sloppier...which I love.

Penalties
In previous years, penalty sliders at 50 'gated' the number of calls and going to 51 would essentially remove that restriction. But in past years, going to 51 wound up causing a ton of issues with warping/suction and just generally imbalancing the game. Well last night, I was down to 30 minutes of EA Access and thought, "What the heck?". I plugged-in 51 for all the penalties and got into a game. About a quarter's worth of play, 3 DPIs, 1 IBB, 1 Hold later...I was like, "Oh man...we HAVE to explore this!". I think the subtle tweak to fatigue along with the 51 values may have got things to stand out. It also could have been dumb luck. But any chance of getting lots of penalty calls without causing major gameplay disruptions is well worth it.

(note: 51 RTP will introduce some odd calls that don't seem to be justified by the animation (e.g. QB is barely grazed)...I know this but for now, I really want to leave them all at 51 to see if there is a 'balancing act' here)

Fumbles
(insert sound of spoiled toddler crying)...."WAAAAAA too many fumbles!!! WAAAA!!! "

Suck it up kids. Use the protect ball button, don't make jukes in heavy traffic, get out of bounds, use the coach adjustment (especially in rainy weather). If you are reckless handling the ball, that's on you.

X-factors
You HAVE to gameplan for these guys and I LOVE IT! They can and will shred you. Be cognizant of where they are and what they can do. Related note: understand your opponent's personnel (even non-superstars) and where their sore spots are.

Franchise mode in-general
I basically spent 20 hours testing gameplay in CFM. I did not dabble much in the mode at all. The scenario engine stuff seems OK and I am hoping that we get far more interesting scenarios throughout the year.
This post is so awesome since I agree with exactly what you wrote. I joined to tell you how spot on you are and finally someone that believes you should look and play at this game as I try. Thanks. Great piece of quality content and philosophy on playing
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #284
Rookie

Main reason for trying to find sliders is that every year. All-Pro is to easy, and All Madden just unrealistically cheeses you to make it hard.

I had high hopes for these sliders, after testing through a few games im still having the same issues, this particular year, is that its too easy to move the ball and score (for both the CPU and myself)

I will say these sliders have helped fairly significantly, however im still finding myself in a 28-24 halftime score and 50-45 final....every game.

The main thing i'd say i notice is that i end up missing alot of tackles due to my defenders being out of position (alot)

I'd imagine turning on heatseaker would help solve that problem for myself, my question is the reasoning behind turning it off, and what other implications would it have, or if it'd even effect the CPU's defense.

Other question being, the reasoning for keeping accel clock off

I'd still like to give these a shot because of the minimalist aspect of it, but if i cant get these scores down, i may have to give other sliders a chance, Thanks!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #285
Rookie

Here's something interesting when thinking about scoring and sliders. Everyone, including me, has looked at how high the scoring is in the game. Funny thing is the NFL average last year was somewhere around 48 points per game total. I am keeping that in mind now when looking at scoring. The game isn't that far off from that now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #286
Pro

kchuskey's Arena

OVR: 4

Do you run cloud, or offline Franchise? Does it matter?

"I remember a day before sliders existed, when we would play an entire season, before dinner."
Old 08-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #287
Rookie

OVR: 1

To further praise these sliders a bit:

Week 1 against Texans was a blowout...I debuted a new pro style old school playbook I made (because no one runs the safe play action west coast anymore ???) and raked in 61 pts to win the game

Week 2 we lost to the Rams after some key turnovers and never being able to run the ball thanks to clay Matthews and Aaron Donald, I won’t even mention the 6 sacks (had none week 1)

Loving the diversity!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #288
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbroke
Here's something interesting when thinking about scoring and sliders. Everyone, including me, has looked at how high the scoring is in the game. Funny thing is the NFL average last year was somewhere around 48 points per game total. I am keeping that in mind now when looking at scoring. The game isn't that far off from that now.

except its 48 points combined for both teams. meaning its about 24 points per game for each team.

however im scoring around 48 points regularly with my own team, so i wouldnt say its "not that far off" lol

while teams like the chiefs and rams last year scored regularly in the 30's and 40's they also have incredibly talented and dynamic offenses. Which is something thats not currently necessary to have in this game to achieve that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »