Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #393
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBpackerfan1120
Yeah I’ve been on top of my MM sliders too I tried Matt10s sliders first and AM was too difficult and AP was too easy but yeah everything’s matched up perfectly so idk
Maybe the new Settings he posted today will help you out
Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #394
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBpackerfan1120
Absolutely loved these sliders to start.. I felt was balanced perfectly and was sitting at 5-4 just over halfway through the season.. then suddenly I just rolled through the rest of the year and smashes the patriots in the super bowl 51-17 not sure why it got so easy all of a sudden but finished with over 6000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing just wish I could keep it challenging throughout as it got pretty stale not having to stress over winning even with turning the ball over 1-2 times per game due to fumbles/bad decision making.. anyone having this problem and is there anything I can do? All Madden is way too hard for me and frustrating to play.. idk any advice would be great
I'm going to assume you were following EVERY SINGLE VALUE on the opening post exactly is spelled-out (obviously - I understand that things have changes some). If I have a setting or value on the OP, it has been deemed to be critical. None of them are "preference". I get these types of comments every year and the person usually comes back and says "Yeah, I followed it exactly except I changed ______, which is just personal preference, right?".

If you were following the OP exactly, then based on the info you provided, I don't think I can help you. Madden is an RPG and that's what this set is based around. Other people try to play it as an action game; and that's fine if they do, but people who play it as such are better off going to All Madden and learning how to get better at that difficulty. Based on those seasonal numbers, I think you may fall into the latter category in terms of mindset/approach - All Madden may be more suited for your playstyle. (It's not "too hard" but you do have to focus and be smart).
Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #395
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I wanted to provide a bit more context about the current version of the OP.

My hope is that we'll get to the point this year (following some patches) that we can use 50 for ALL slider values. We're just not there yet. In testing that configuration - it's quite imbalanced in favor of the offense. It's very challenging, but it's not balanced.

Currently, there are 2 areas of concern when using an "All 50" approach:
  1. Pass defense isn't well-optimized.
  2. There is a high frequency of 'hit stick' attempts - leading to far too many long plays due to broken tackles (i.e. it turns into 'pinball tackling').
I want to break that down a bit.

Pass defense
If a team has a loaded secondary, pass defense is pretty good using an "All 50" approach. The problem is that weaker secondaries are a bit too weak (i.e. how the weaker player ratings reflect on the field results in weaker overall coverage than should be expected - at least in my opinion). This is problematic on both sides of the ball and a good user QB can pick it apart (and with ballhawk off, so can the CPU). This is where raising DPI to 51 can really help to tighten things up.

But this is an imperfect solution - a bandaid if you will. With the value at 51, the CPU will go to the TEs and dump-passes more frequently due to the tighter coverage value. The CPU is hardly inept here and WILL still challenge you downfield if there is an opening, but it is definitely going to affect the pass distribution a bit. But then, you watch a real NFL game...and this is what they do now...they get the ball out fast and short. In spite of that, I DO think 51 DPI is just a tad too tight (if I could set it to 50.5, it would be close to perfect).

If you you prefer seeing more of a vertical game from the CPU or just want to be more challenged on defense, setting DPI to 50 (along with DH), will certainly give you that (at the cost that it MIGHT make user passing a bit easier for you). Personally, I may wind-up doing this myself and I am adding this as an option in the OP.

If we get a patch that improves coverage even a little bit - I am very likely going to shift DPI (and DH) back to 50 'officially' on the OP....IMO, that's all we really need....just a little fine-tuning.

Tackling
When I had everything at 50...dear lord, the run games were out of control. I love the ground game...so I didn't mind that fact. But, I had a major issue with how it was happening. There were virtually no wrap-up tackling attempts. There were missed/broken tackles on every play - it just didn't look or feel natural at all (i.e. it was 'pinball' tackling). If anything, this was the biggest culprit of the high-scoring games. RAC yardage was out of control and when combined with the looser coverage in certain matchups, it got pretty crazy.

By raising the CPU TAK to 51, AI defenders (on both sides) use far more wrap-up tackles. Run games have a much more life-like grindy feel to them. Most importantly, perimeter defenders actually have a chance to make a solo tackle on the outside - which is critical with RPOs now in-game. Now, I DO believe that leaving the user TAK at 50 keeps the CPU runners from being as hesitant as they are when both values are at 51.

I'll be honest, I'd be shocked if EA modified hit stick frequency in a patch. This always seems to be an area where they push a little too much towards 'arcade' (even going back to last gen). We'll probably wind up sitting on this value the rest of the year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #396
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I wanted to provide a bit more context about the current version of the OP.

My hope is that we'll get to the point this year (following some patches) that we can use 50 for ALL slider values. We're just not there yet. In testing that configuration - it's quite imbalanced in favor of the offense. It's very challenging, but it's not balanced.

Currently, there are 2 areas of concern when using an "All 50" approach:
  1. Pass defense isn't well-optimized.
  2. There is a high frequency of 'hit stick' attempts - leading to far too many long plays due to broken tackles (i.e. it turns into 'pinball tackling').
I want to break that down a bit.

Pass defense
If a team has a loaded secondary, pass defense is pretty good using an "All 50" approach. The problem is that weaker secondaries are a bit too weak (i.e. how the weaker player ratings reflect on the field results in weaker overall coverage than should be expected - at least in my opinion). This is problematic on both sides of the ball and a good user QB can pick it apart (and with ballhawk off, so can the CPU). This is where raising DPI to 51 can really help to tighten things up.

But this is an imperfect solution - a bandaid if you will. With the value at 51, the CPU will go to the TEs and dump-passes more frequently due to the tighter coverage value. The CPU is hardly inept here and WILL still challenge you downfield if there is an opening, but it is definitely going to affect the pass distribution a bit. But then, you watch a real NFL game...and this is what they do now...they get the ball out fast and short. In spite of that, I DO think 51 DPI is just a tad too tight (if I could set it to 50.5, it would be close to perfect).

If you you prefer seeing more of a vertical game from the CPU or just want to be more challenged on defense, setting DPI to 50 (along with DH), will certainly give you that (at the cost that it MIGHT make user passing a bit easier for you). Personally, I may wind-up doing this myself and I am adding this as an option in the OP.

If we get a patch that improves coverage even a little bit - I am very likely going to shift DPI (and DH) back to 50 'officially' on the OP....IMO, that's all we really need....just a little fine-tuning.

Tackling
When I had everything at 50...dear lord, the run games were out of control. I love the ground game...so I didn't mind that fact. But, I had a major issue with how it was happening. There were virtually no wrap-up tackling attempts. There were missed/broken tackles on every play - it just didn't look or feel natural at all (i.e. it was 'pinball' tackling). If anything, this was the biggest culprit of the high-scoring games. RAC yardage was out of control and when combined with the looser coverage in certain matchups, it got pretty crazy.

By raising the CPU TAK to 51, AI defenders (on both sides) use far more wrap-up tackles. Run games have a much more life-like grindy feel to them. Most importantly, perimeter defenders actually have a chance to make a solo tackle on the outside - which is critical with RPOs now in-game. Now, I DO believe that leaving the user TAK at 50 keeps the CPU runners from being as hesitant as they are when both values are at 51.

I'll be honest, I'd be shocked if EA modified hit stick frequency in a patch. This always seems to be an area where they push a little too much towards 'arcade' (even going back to last gen). We'll probably wind up sitting on this value the rest of the year.
Thanks for the breakdown and work. Considering trying these myself.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #397
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelly
Thanks for the breakdown and work. Considering trying these myself.
Do we delete our user profile prior to using these or is that not important for this set?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #398
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelly
Do we delete our user profile prior to using these or is that not important for this set?
If you've been running previously on All Madden and/or adjusting gameplay sliders in the main menu, that might be prudent. If you don't, you may initially get some pretty bad warping as the game 'settles-in' to the new settings.

You don't need to do this prior to each game.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #399
Pro

Executor's Arena

Quote:
If you've been running previously on All Madden and/or adjusting gameplay sliders in the main menu, that might be prudent. If you don't, you may initially get some pretty bad warping as the game 'settles-in' to the new settings.

Josh, if you don't like cpu running game (or lack of thereof) with hum tackling set at 51, why not compensate with cpu run blocking at 51? Would this cause any unwanted imbalance?
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)
Old 08-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #400
Pro

Quote:

I believe my profile began as all-pro sim. To do so we just delete only the user profile, correct? I assume we'll be greeted with the pro bowl and all the tutorial popups again?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »