Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 08-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #401
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor
Josh, if you don't like cpu running game (or lack of thereof) with hum tackling set at 51, why not compensate with cpu run blocking at 51? Would this cause any unwanted imbalance?
Run blocking really isn't the issue. If you watch how the linemen release blocks and get upfield to the next level, the timing is fine (there is a variety to when/if the blocker gets that next level in-time - which is what we want). Raising the block, even one point, will disrupt the timing as they're holding the blocks too long and ultimately will make it so good runs happen mainly when the second-level guys are out of the way.

The issue with 51 HUM tackling is that the CPU backs become more tentative because of that higher slider (which would be higher than the fumble slider). The HUM value of 50 keeps it on the same level as the CPU fumble slider, and CPU backs will thus hit the holes more directly instead of being tentative (i.e. "afraid of being hit").
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #402
Rookie

Phillyboy67's Arena

OVR: 0

Small sample size but these changes have the game playing a lot better for me. In the two times I played the chiefs with the old setup Hill and Mahomes did nothing. This time Mahomes torched me he was great and it didnít feel like cpu gimmicks. My pass rush was terrible and he killed us for it.

The chargers also destroyed me. Bosa had like 5 sacks with me doing anything I could to stop him. Melvin Gordon and Rivers tore me a new one
Old 08-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #403
MVP

tyler28's Arena

Didnt see this on the OP. What are your thoughts on IG on or off? Are you seeing anything related to AI QB play?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #404
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler28
Didnt see this on the OP. What are your thoughts on IG on or off? Are you seeing anything related to AI QB play
I've never been a fan of this adjustment in the past (I have not tested it this year and do not plan on doing so). It always seemed to amp-up the offense WAY too much for my taste (which is what I am trying to counter-act).

In general, the QB AI responds poorly when coverage is abnormally tight. (Frankly, we're on a very fine line with this setup). Simple solution, don't tighten the coverage too much, keep ballhawk off...and it will be fine.

With this setup, I see no need for it...if I wanted a little more oomph by the CPU QBs, I'd just set DPI and DH back to 50.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #405
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I'm going to assume you were following EVERY SINGLE VALUE on the opening post exactly is spelled-out (obviously - I understand that things have changes some). If I have a setting or value on the OP, it has been deemed to be critical. None of them are "preference". I get these types of comments every year and the person usually comes back and says "Yeah, I followed it exactly except I changed ______, which is just personal preference, right?".

If you were following the OP exactly, then based on the info you provided, I don't think I can help you. Madden is an RPG and that's what this set is based around. Other people try to play it as an action game; and that's fine if they do, but people who play it as such are better off going to All Madden and learning how to get better at that difficulty. Based on those seasonal numbers, I think you may fall into the latter category in terms of mindset/approach - All Madden may be more suited for your playstyle. (It's not "too hard" but you do have to focus and be smart).
I haven it set exactly as listed I donít change anything due to any preference and I follow your updates regularly so i always try to play as if Iím actually an nfl team I always punt on 4th down Iím careful with the ball and use my checkdowns and I can read defenses pretty well and use audibles and all that maybe itís just I donít take enough risks to jeopardize the game and my defensive play is decent I user safety and take away any big plays down the field or across the middle, just thought maybe thereíd be something I could do to make it more challenging Iíve tried AM multiple times but itís just not enjoyable at all.. I really like how all pro plays I feel itís the most balanced and realistic but idk what else I can do to make it consistently challenging Iím now on week 12 of my 2nd season and am 8-2 idk thanks for your input I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #406
Rookie

Have*** not haven lol
Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #407
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBpackerfan1120
I haven it set exactly as listed I donít change anything due to any preference and I follow your updates regularly so i always try to play as if Iím actually an nfl team I always punt on 4th down Iím careful with the ball and use my checkdowns and I can read defenses pretty well and use audibles and all that maybe itís just I donít take enough risks to jeopardize the game and my defensive play is decent I user safety and take away any big plays down the field or across the middle, just thought maybe thereíd be something I could do to make it more challenging Iíve tried AM multiple times but itís just not enjoyable at all.. I really like how all pro plays I feel itís the most balanced and realistic but idk what else I can do to make it consistently challenging Iím now on week 12 of my 2nd season and am 8-2 idk thanks for your input I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me

Number 1, definitely try out the most recent update. It's playing out well in giving the CPU offense a little more oomph, which keeps you off the field more.

Second....this is a straight copy-paste from my Opening Post from last year's thread. Most of this probably won't apply to you...but see if one of these items resonate with you. I find that most people who find All Pro "too easy" do so as a result of one of these items. From your post, it sounds like the last entry may be one of your culprits. I think it is incredibly easy to abuse short routes in madden and then use even moderate 'stick skills' to rack-up yardage. But read through this and see if anything here resonates for you. If not, I'd have to see video to offer any advice.

Below are some common areas where people inadvertently mess up and some "sim" alternatives/options.

Arcade Play: Using run/pass commit. Even Clint (an ex-player) has stated on Twitter that this is more of a "video game feature". My biggest peeve is that this is something the CPU has not historically used and I'm looking to not abuse the game's programming.
Sim alternative: Use intelligent play calling pre-snap. Use DL and LB shifts at LOS to orient your defenders if you want to gear-up for run or pass.

Arcade Play: "Hot Route Abuse". I see people calling 3-4 hot routes on nearly every play. Now, a) I don't see how that is "sim" and b) the CPU doesn't use this functionality. If you want to use them, go for it...but it is building you an advantage the CPU doesn't have.
Sim alternative: Call an audible or "Gasp!" call a timeout. It happens IRL all the time...bad play call vs defensive look - timeouts sometimes needed. Really want to go overboard with "sim", only allow your QB to call hot routes if his awareness is >90.

Arcade Play: Over-blitzing. A huge trap many people fall into. NFL teams rush more than 4 only about 30% of the time on average. I try to mimic that as much as possible....but context matters. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, but if you're blitzing 70% of the time; that isn't playing an "aggressive style" of defense...it is flat-out cheesing.
Sim alternative: slanting/shifting linemen or using the aggressive pass rush coach adjustment contextually.

Arcade Play: Dropping back 10-15 yards every pass or rolling to the right every pass. S
Sim alternative: Step UP in the pocket. This makes coverage and passing lanes far more realistic. It's one thing to be flushed out of the pocket but doing this constantly...well, you're going to give yourself too much time to throw and will distort the passing windows and coverage windows.

Arcade Play: Using built-in play call suggestions. People use this to try to limit their "abusing" plays. The problem is that the suggested plays (even under the "strategy" tab) are limited.
Sim alternative: Call your own plays. Mix things up - this is THE most important skill in Madden. Stick skills are irrelevant if you know how to be an intelligent play caller.

Arcade Play: Dumping off every pass. Lots and lots of people have a warped perception of what wide open is and it results in them constantly throwing to the check-down (and the ensuing complaints about completion percentages and game being "too easy".
Sim alternative: One step on a defender is considered "open" in the NFL. If the route's primary has a step, throw it to him (unless you see help coming). Use the full QB passing controls to lead the receivers and WR catch mechanics to position your player best.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #408
Rookie

Wassup josh...i have a question...in the intro settings what do I put it on far experience and game style? For your set up?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »